How secure are Skype conversations?

Old August 10th 06, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default How secure are Skype conversations?

Just how secure are Skype conversations? Is there anything I can do to
improve security?

Thanks for your input.

Tim

Old August 10th 06, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 2006-08-10, Tim Walters wrote:

Just how secure are Skype conversations? Is there anything I can do to
improve security?

According to Skype their protocol ensures completely secure phone calls
between Skype users. Once out on the PSTN they are as secure as any
other call.

The definitive place to find information and discussion on this is in
the forums on www.skype.com.

Brian.
Old August 10th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Tim Walters wrote:
Just how secure are Skype conversations? Is there anything I can do to
improve security?

Thanks for your input.

Tim

You should be fine Your Royal Highness ;-)
Old August 11th 06, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Tim Walters wrote:

Just how secure are Skype conversations? Is there anything I can do to
improve security?

As with any other IP-based protocol, perhaps you could tunnel it over a VPN
to add known encryption. I'm not entirely sure how Skype behaves on a
closed network - it's peer-to-peer so in theory there shouldn't be a
problem, but I've never actually tried it myself so who knows...

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:37:34 up 18 days, 3:59, 3 users, load average: 0.23, 0.13, 0.37

Old August 20th 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Just how secure are Skype conversations? Is there anything I can do to
improve security?

As with any other IP-based protocol, perhaps you could tunnel it over a
VPN
to add known encryption. I'm not entirely sure how Skype behaves on a
closed network - it's peer-to-peer so in theory there shouldn't be a
problem, but I've never actually tried it myself so who knows...

I reckon the standard test is that the competitors have been paying the
media MONEY to spread snake-oil rumours and conjecture about how secure they
aren't.

Old August 20th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"news.rcn.com" news.rnc.com wrote:

Just how secure are Skype conversations? Is there anything I can do to
improve security?

As with any other IP-based protocol, perhaps you could tunnel it over a
VPN
to add known encryption. I'm not entirely sure how Skype behaves on a
closed network - it's peer-to-peer so in theory there shouldn't be a
problem, but I've never actually tried it myself so who knows...

I reckon the standard test is that the competitors have been paying the
media MONEY to spread snake-oil rumours and conjecture about how secure
they aren't.

Interesting. Do you have any evidence to back this up?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:11:45 up 26 days, 23:33, 3 users, load average: 0.52, 0.43, 0.19