Advice sought on Wireless Router Range

Old August 10th 06, 05:45 PM
lenkehoe lenkehoe is offline
Junior Member

Default Advice sought on Wireless Router Range

I am helping somebody to set up a wirelss network covering their house and office, which is located in the classic "shed at the bottom of the garden". We have been provided a ZyXEL Prestige 660HW DSL Modem/router and I want to know if this will be powerful enough to cover the distance, reliably.

I can't seem to find a reference that tells me what the spec range is for these products. I realise that external factors will influence the range but I wanted something to tell me what is the basic physical distance that these types of products will cover. We're talking approximately 25 to 35 metres from bedroom office in the house to garage/shed office. Any suggestions for further reading, advice, or opinions would be most welcomed.
Thanks,
Len
Old August 10th 06, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

--
lenkehoe

With absolutely nothing in the way, then 25/30 metres should be OK!

You may be better, if you can invest a few pounds, to purchase a pair of
domestic Ethernet-over-powerline devices is made by Devolo. You connect
one device [about the size of a power adapter] via rthernet to your
router/modem, and the other to a distant computer via the power line.. The
only physical connection is your mains power line. Their web site is
http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/index.html.

Old August 11th 06, 01:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

First try cable. It will probably be less expensive, more
predictable, and more reliable for a distance of 35 metres.

Old August 11th 06, 01:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

WiFi works very well trough windows, place the router and the adapter on the
window sills, if there is a clear space in between you can cover 100m.
Regards,
Martin

Old August 11th 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In message , Martin²
writes
WiFi works very well trough windows, place the router and the adapter on the
window sills, if there is a clear space in between you can cover 100m.
Regards,
Martin

Unless the windows are thermal glass, not sure of the process to add the
coating but I get much increased range in my garden when I open the
french doors, I'm led to believe it's because they're K Glass.
--
Clint Sharp
Old August 12th 06, 03:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I get much increased range in my garden when I open the french doors, I'm
led to believe it's because they're K Glass.

Indeed, IIRC, thermal / K Glass has metal coating.

However my WiFi works trough two sets of ordinary double glazed leaded (one
real, one plastic fake) windows at an acute angle and over distance of 70m.
Regards,
Martin