OT - Replacement for firewall

Old August 11th 06, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default OT - Replacement for firewall

I've been putting up with Zonealarm security suite for a while now but now
just sick of the bugs. Eespecially the MSN live one.

So is there a good replacement firewall out there? Free or otherwise I don't
mind. I have a router with a firewall if its any importance.

Now using AVG free as my antivirus. All the other crap that came with
secrutiy suite I don't need.

Thanks

Dan

Old August 12th 06, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Dan wrote:

I've been putting up with Zonealarm security suite for a while now but now
just sick of the bugs. Eespecially the MSN live one.

So is there a good replacement firewall out there? Free or otherwise I don't
mind. I have a router with a firewall if its any importance.

Now using AVG free as my antivirus. All the other crap that came with
secrutiy suite I don't need.

Why are you expecting to get the best in each category from a single supplier ?

I've used ZoneAlarm for as long as I can remember now and have never has cause
to complain. I've used CA's AV and more recently AVG too.

All are fine as far as I'm concerned and are either free or low cost.

Graham

Old August 12th 06, 07:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Eeyore wrote:

Dan wrote:

I've been putting up with Zonealarm security suite for a while now but now
just sick of the bugs. Eespecially the MSN live one.

So is there a good replacement firewall out there? Free or otherwise I don't
mind. I have a router with a firewall if its any importance.

Now using AVG free as my antivirus. All the other crap that came with
secrutiy suite I don't need.

Why are you expecting to get the best in each category from a single supplier ?

I've used ZoneAlarm for as long as I can remember now and have never has cause
to complain. I've used CA's AV and more recently AVG too.

All are fine as far as I'm concerned and are either free or low cost.

I'd agree with that.

Since using ZA free and CA/AVG I've had no viruses at all, despite
having two children who might go to 'attractive' sites occasionally.

I also use Spybot, Adaware, Hijack-this amongst others and have a
regular 'clear-up' sequence I do each week, though this is more to do
with file maintenance and keeping the main computer and wireless laptops
we have running well, rather than security issues.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old August 12th 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

The Caretaker wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

Dan wrote:

I've been putting up with Zonealarm security suite for a while now but now
just sick of the bugs. Eespecially the MSN live one.

So is there a good replacement firewall out there? Free or otherwise I don't
mind. I have a router with a firewall if its any importance.

Now using AVG free as my antivirus. All the other crap that came with
secrutiy suite I don't need.

Why are you expecting to get the best in each category from a single supplier ?

I've used ZoneAlarm for as long as I can remember now and have never has cause
to complain. I've used CA's AV and more recently AVG too.

All are fine as far as I'm concerned and are either free or low cost.

I'd agree with that.

Since using ZA free and CA/AVG I've had no viruses at all, despite
having two children who might go to 'attractive' sites occasionally.

I've used nothing at all in my Win2k PC for years, and I have been
virus free too.

A modicum of common sense is much more effective than dozens of
'utilities' digging around in the innards of the operating system.

--
Chris Green
Old August 12th 06, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"The Caretaker" wrote in message
news

Since using ZA free and CA/AVG I've had no viruses at all, despite having
two children who might go to 'attractive' sites occasionally.

I also use Spybot, Adaware, Hijack-this amongst others and have a regular
'clear-up' sequence I do each week, though this is more to do with file
maintenance and keeping the main computer and wireless laptops we have
running well, rather than security issues.

--
The Caretaker .........

Agreed - go for the free (firewall-only) ZoneAlarm and the free Grisoft AVG
anti-virus. Why bother with the extras and paid versions when these are both
excellent?
As The Caretaker says, also get a couple of free anti-spam applications -
those named above are excellent - and above all, set everything (including
Windows updates) for automatic updating. Or in the case of the anti-spam
jobbies, do a manual update at least weekly.
No problems and all free of charge.
QED
George

Old August 12th 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote in message

I've used nothing at all in my Win2k PC for years, and I have been
virus free too.

A modicum of common sense is much more effective than dozens of
'utilities' digging around in the innards of the operating system.

How do you know your pc is virus free? Just because you may not have any
symptoms it does not mean there is nothing there.

Old August 12th 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Beck wrote:
wrote in message

I've used nothing at all in my Win2k PC for years, and I have been
virus free too.

A modicum of common sense is much more effective than dozens of
'utilities' digging around in the innards of the operating system.

How do you know your pc is virus free? Just because you may not have any
symptoms it does not mean there is nothing there.

For me it's easy, my Windows PC lives on a network populated with Mac
and Linux machines and is only used for things where I can't get a
program for the others or if I really need it to convert something from
a Windows proprietary format to something more useful. So it's safely
behind a Linux-based firewall and is not used to connect to web sites or
to read email. I've also got a line in the firewall rules that make it
log every attempt by the machine to talk to the outside world - it's
interesting to see how many commercial programs phone home for updates.

--
Dave
mail da (without the space)

Old August 12th 06, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Dave {Reply Address In.sig}" wrote:

Beck wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

So, completely untypical of anyone posting here then !

Graham

Old August 12th 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Beck [email protected] wrote:

wrote in message

I've used nothing at all in my Win2k PC for years, and I have been
virus free too.

A modicum of common sense is much more effective than dozens of
'utilities' digging around in the innards of the operating system.

How do you know your pc is virus free? Just because you may not have any
symptoms it does not mean there is nothing there.

If there aren't any symptoms (at all) I don't care! :-)

In 'symptoms' I include trojans and stuff which send mail without my
knowledge.

I *occasionally* run a manual scan (with a copy of the latest virus
scanner from work) and that has always, so far, been clean. I also
check the logs on the router and other places to see if anything
unexpected seems to be going on.

--
Chris Green