Chronic broadband problem!

Old August 12th 06, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Chronic broadband problem!

I'm posting this on behalf of my parents as they currently have no
internet connectivity!!

The Story:
They were originally connected to BT Broadband (I set all this up when
I was still living there), but about 3 months ago internet connectivity
disappeared. The DSL light remained lit on the router - a USR 9106 -
but the username/password auth failed when trying to connect. BT were
completely unable to resolve the problem, it got passed from department
to department (inculding "resolutions", whoever they are). BT's
recommendation was to cancel the service and start again.

We did exactly that and signed up to Tiscali, and the activation date
was just over a week ago. But still no broadband; same fault as before.
Tiscali support have been contacted at least 5 times, each time they
log a fault with BT which is apparently gets "resolved" (they send a
text message) within 24 hours, but guess what - still no broadband.

However, the following account connects successfully:

[email protected]_domain (no password)

There is also another account which Tiscali support asked we try, which
works but I forgot the username (we tried that many!!), but I remember
it having a password. The personal user account that Tiscali provide
still doesn't work though.

Any ideas where to go from here? Tiscali just seem to log a fault with
BT each time, which gets "resolved" apparently, but doesn't restore
internet connectivity at all.

Thanks for any help,
Steve.

Old August 13th 06, 08:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"SteveF" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

First thing to try is to get hold of a usb modem that you know works. Borrow
one from a friend who has no problems or even a router that you know works
fine. That way if it works fine it eliminates your router as the fault. Do
the same with an adsl filter. That way atleast you know you have fully
working equipment.

It seems strange that the bt test one works ok though. I have used that
before when having problems with pipex.

Simon.

Old August 13th 06, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

" The Story:
They were originally connected to BT Broadband (I set all this up when
I was still living there), but about 3 months ago internet connectivity
disappeared. The DSL light remained lit on the router - a USR 9106 -
but the username/password auth failed when trying to connect. BT were
completely unable to resolve the problem, it got passed from department
to department (inculding "resolutions", whoever they are). BT's
recommendation was to cancel the service and start again.

Thanks for any help,
Steve.

Simon.

I also have a 9106... Are you sure your'e putting the correct
user name and password in the configuration page... If I dont,
my ADSL light remains at green also and I cannot get anywhere.
..
Alan

Old August 13th 06, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

simon wrote:
"SteveF" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried a Sagem USB modem
(forgot to mention this before). I even attempted to use a BT voyager
ADSL router, but it won't let you use a username.

All modems I've tried work fine on other lines.

Steve.

Old August 13th 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

SteveF wrote:

[...]

Tiscali are completely *USELESS*. I got LLU'd onto a circuit of theirs and it's
been hell. I'm moving ISP.

Get a *real* ISP ! Go to adslguide.org and compare all the ISPs and see which
one outranks them all ! That's the one I'm going to and they're not even
especially pricey ! Hint - Idnet.

Graham

Old August 13th 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

SteveF wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried a Sagem USB modem
(forgot to mention this before). I even attempted to use a BT voyager
ADSL router, but it won't let you use a username.

All modems I've tried work fine on other lines.

Do you know how to interpret the router info pages ?

Graham

Old August 13th 06, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In message of Sun, 13 Aug
2006 12:10:48 in uk.telecom.broadband, Eeyore
writes

[snip]

Tiscali are completely *USELESS*. I got LLU'd onto a circuit of theirs and it's
been hell. I'm moving ISP.

Get a *real* ISP ! Go to adslguide.org and compare all the ISPs and see which
one outranks them all ! That's the one I'm going to and they're not even
especially pricey ! Hint - Idnet.

Interesting! However, even their Teleworker Pro product seems to have a
30GB/month data transfer limit. I was surprised to see adslguide.org
omits Zen Internet's Home 250 product which is truly uncapped and
remains available. (I quickly changed to Home 500 from Home 250 when Zen
ceased selling 500, 1000, & 2000 to new customers.)

Am I right adslguide.org has no "contact us" page?
I hate not to report seeming faults but am unwilling to use their "Talk
to the staff" forum.
--
Walter Briscoe
Old August 13th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Walter Briscoe wrote:
In message of Sun, 13 Aug
2006 12:10:48 in uk.telecom.broadband, Eeyore
writes

[snip]

Tiscali are completely *USELESS*. I got LLU'd onto a circuit of theirs
and it's
been hell. I'm moving ISP.

Get a *real* ISP ! Go to adslguide.org and compare all the ISPs and
see which
one outranks them all ! That's the one I'm going to and they're not even
especially pricey ! Hint - Idnet.

Interesting! However, even their Teleworker Pro product seems to have a
30GB/month data transfer limit. I was surprised to see adslguide.org
omits Zen Internet's Home 250 product which is truly uncapped and
remains available. (I quickly changed to Home 500 from Home 250 when Zen
ceased selling 500, 1000, & 2000 to new customers.)

ADSLguide only list the products which the ISP has asked them to list -
perhaps you should ask Zen to update ADSLguide with their current
product listings including this product. Or perhaps the omission is
intentional.

Am I right adslguide.org has no "contact us" page?

No.

Old August 21st 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Eeyore wrote:

SteveF wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried a Sagem USB modem
(forgot to mention this before). I even attempted to use a BT voyager
ADSL router, but it won't let you use a username.

All modems I've tried work fine on other lines.

Do you know how to interpret the router info pages ?

Graham

Just to provide a bit more info about the problem (which is still not
resolved):

With a US Robotics 9106 router the diagnostic page reads as follows for
usernames [email protected]_domain AND [email protected]_domain:

Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: FAIL
Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: PASS

Test PPP server session: PASS
Test authentication with ISP: PASS
Test the assigned IP address: PASS
Ping default gateway: PASS
Ping primary domain name server: FAIL

When I attempt these user accounts with a BT Voyager 2901 router (which
has the same diagnostics page), everything on there is a PASS. I'm not
sure why a couple of tests fail with the USR router, but don't think
that's the issue here.

Now for the problem bit. Logging on with AND
, the USR 9106 diagnostics comes up with the
following:

Test ADSL Synchronization: PASS
Test ATM OAM F5 segment ping: FAIL
Test ATM OAM F5 end-to-end ping: PASS

Test PPP server session: PASS
Test authentication with ISP: FAIL
Test the assigned IP address: N/A
Ping default gateway: N/A
Ping primary domain name server: N/A

The Voyager won't allow a username so I can't test
that!! I've even tried the crappy little Sagem modem that Tiscali sent
out. It gives a 691 error when trying to connect ("username/password is
invalid on the domain", or words to that effect).

We've been on to Tiscali tech support almost every day for the past 2
weeks, each time a fault is apparently logged with BT. A day or two
later a text message arrives saying that BT have fixed a problem on
your line, could you re-test. BUT IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!! Same errors
everytime. In total Tiscali have reported this fault 11 (eleven!) times
to BT.

Anyone know where we can go from here??

Thanks,
Steve.