ISP AntiVirus

Old August 13th 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default ISP AntiVirus

I have two POP3 email addressed hosted by 123-Reg attached to my domain.
They offer (for an additional charge!) an antiviral and anti spam package
for these two email addresses.

The question is, is their antiviral / antispam stuff better than mine?

I run Avast for my antiviral and as these addresses are brand new I (as yet)
get no spam!

Old August 13th 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"R.Daneel Olivaw" [email protected] wrote in message
I have two POP3 email addressed hosted by 123-Reg attached to my domain.
They offer (for an additional charge!) an antiviral and anti spam package
for these two email addresses.

The question is, is their antiviral / antispam stuff better than mine?

I run Avast for my antiviral and as these addresses are brand new I (as
yet) get no spam!

Tell us which ones they use and we can compare.
I wouldn't bother paying extra for something you can do yourself for free.
You will still have to tell the company which emails to allow through. Most
spammers change their email daily as ISPs allow them to send so much SPAM
before thinking about acting, so you have to constantly update the lists as
you might on Hotmail.
Waste of time, effort and money.
You should have used a service like GMAIL, it's free and you can forward,
use web based access and block people. Save on hosting costs too.

Old August 13th 06, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"simon" wrote in message

"R.Daneel Olivaw" [email protected] wrote in message
I have two POP3 email addressed hosted by 123-Reg attached to my domain.
They offer (for an additional charge!) an antiviral and anti spam package
for these two email addresses.

The question is, is their antiviral / antispam stuff better than mine?

I run Avast for my antiviral and as these addresses are brand new I (as
yet) get no spam!

Tell us which ones they use and we can compare.

"123-reg Email Defence blocks unsolicited e-mail, prevents viruses and worms
attacking with Authentium anti virus software and lets you view quarantined
e-mail safely and securely."

Old August 14th 06, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

R.Daneel Olivaw wrote:
I have two POP3 email addressed hosted by 123-Reg attached to my domain.
They offer (for an additional charge!) an antiviral and anti spam package
for these two email addresses.

The question is, is their antiviral / antispam stuff better than mine?

No.

There are still other entry points that malware can use.

o Drive-by downloads via Internet Explorer
o Leaks in Java (atleast one vector is currently being investigated relating to
MS06-040)
o Downloaded files (FTP, http downloads)
o p2p software
o Holes in system software similar to MS-Blaster attacks, most of which do not
work with SP2 due to stack protection)
o Application software buffer overruns (network support in games may be exploitable)
o Browser help objects (flash, adobe reader, etc.) may contain vulnerabilities
o Office applications (When you run windows update, do you run office update?)
o Magazine cover discs
o Sony-BMG music CD's with malware disguised as copy-protection
(I could go on...)

And of course, if it gets through the anti-virus, it just means that it isn't a
_known_ virus. Until a virus comes to the attention of AV developers, it can
run riot. AV software is reactive. Heuristic scanning helps, but is no
substitute for careful users. If you're mad enough to run unknown binaries that
appear to be clean, you too can join a botnet free of charge.

Old August 14th 06, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Jim Howes" wrote in message
R.Daneel Olivaw wrote:
[...]

Good points - all of them - many thanx I will take them on board