Wireless ADSL routers

Old August 15th 06, 08:01 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Wireless ADSL routers

x-posted to uk.telecom.broadband, sorry left it off the original post.

Craig Cockburn wrote:
Marcus Houlden wrote:
My Linksys WAG54GS is far too unreliable for real use as it needs rebooting
every few days. What would be a good one to replace it? I'm looking for a
wireless ADSL router with decent options for port forwarding, the ability to
allocate IP addresses based on MAC address, a decent amount of encryption
(possibly including WPA2) and above all something reliable enough to not
need rebooting a couple of times a week. Any suggestions?

I have much the same question - I see the linksys wireless router SRX
and the netgear wpn824 Rangemax praised in the Jan 2006 edition of
"Which" and the Belkin wireless Pre-N praised by PC Pro so I'm
wondering what the views of the group are on these and whether there's
any other brands you'd recommend. I'm using Windows XP and currently
have ADSL and an ADSL modem. I'm looking to have two PCs and a laptop
connect wirelessly to the same ADSL connection.

thanks

Craig

Old August 15th 06, 08:36 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband

Craig Cockburn wrote:
Marcus Houlden wrote:
[...]

You've got to remember that the reveiws aren't completely unbiased no
matter where they come from (yes even Which).

Personally I'm using a Netgear WPN802 Wireless Access Point (which
does have a partner router which, if memory is correct, is being sold
at Staples for £99 on a special offer) & have nothing but praise for
it. The coverage is better, the responce times from the wireless kit
it's talking to is faster & it even blots out nextdoors link, but what
the hell they're a parasitic pain in the arse anyway, always there
when they want something but quickly dissapear if there is any mention
of reciprocation. I've got 2 wifi security cameras, 1 laptop, one
audio visual link to a TV & a link to a midi hifi (for playing MP3
direct from PC, but that's another story), I've run with most of the
kit linked in & passing info & haven't noticed a slow down but I don't
do it all the time, more normal to have the 2 cameras on plus the hifi
& possibly the laptop......

The only downside I've got about it is the random flashing blue LEDS
but they do supply a cap to cover them ....

Old August 15th 06, 09:55 PM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband

In message ,
kráftéé writes

Personally I'm using a Netgear WPN802 Wireless Access Point (which
does have a partner router which, if memory is correct, is being sold
at Staples for £99 on a special offer)

Thanks but I wasn't able to find the model you mention at staples - they
don't seem to sell Netgear. Is it on Amazon ?

--
Craig Cockburn ("coburn"). M.Sc., CITP, CEng
Owner, http://www.siliconglen.com/
Old August 16th 06, 09:47 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband

Craig Cockburn wrote:

Marcus Houlden wrote:

What would be a good one to replace it? I'm looking for a
wireless ADSL router.. and above all something reliable enough to not
need rebooting a couple of times a week. Any suggestions?

Craig

D-Link have been OK for me.
Old August 17th 06, 02:12 AM posted to uk.comp.misc,uk.telecom.broadband

Drayteks are recognised as utterly reliable and well featured "prosumer"
routers,
but as you should expect they aren't cheap. However you can find second hand
ones on Ebay, which is how I got mine at half price. When on 1Mb/s it was
rock steady for many months on end end. Now on MAX it's speed hovers around
2Mb/s, it does disconnect frequently to adjust speed, but not when in use (I
have 5km line).
Regards,
Martin