WG111T USB adapter - HELP

Old August 15th 06, 10:53 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default WG111T USB adapter - HELP

Hello all,

I'm having problems setting up my WG111T USB adapter that I got with
the Netgear Netgear DG834GTUK router. The router itself installed with
no problems and I have internet access, problem lies with the adapter
only.

I followed all the installation instructions, installed software before
connecting and so on. When configuring I entered the correct SSID for
the router, and the relevant WEP information (I typed key in to be
safe) which I configured.

When I apply, what seems to happen is the LED continually flashes, the
message at the bottom says the adapter is scanning channels for
networks. As it goes to channel 11, the message goes green confirming a
connection but then drops it and continues scanning other channels with
a red message. Again, it then goes green on channel 11 confirming
signal and drops again, and so on and so on...

Only thing I have noticed is it says in the "About" tab that the
country is U.S. I am in the UK, the instructions say that after the
"Add New Hardware" wizard installs you should get asked what country
you're in. I only got that during the CD installation, and Europe
seemed to be the best fit (France and Europe were on list, no UK)

Am not sure if that's anything to do with it but it's the only anomaly
I can think of.

My OS is Windows XP...

I scoured the groups and saw a similar posting to this some months ago
but with no reply. Can anyone please help. Thanks

Old August 15th 06, 01:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Miguel wrote in
:

[...]

Firstly, I think you *are* using the correct location setting: Europe
(excluding France).

I've seen exactly the same symptoms. It happened when I upgraded the drivers
to the latest ones on the web site, about 6 months ago. From the threads on
Netgear's site, many other people were experiencing the same fault, and the
common factor seemed to be the DG834GT router: people with the latest
WG111/WG111T drivers talking to another router had no problems. Amazingly,
Netgear still haven't produced a fixed version of the drivers or of the
router firmware. I raised a support call which got passed to second line and
then forgotten about; when I re-activated the support call, they wanted me
to phone the US to describe the problem (although I'd done so in the support
call). Bugger that - I'm not paying for a long transatlantic phone call :-(

The remedy is to change from using the Netgear software to using Windows to
control the connection:

Right click on "two computers" icon
View Available Wireless
Change Advanced Settings
Wireless Networks
Use Windows to control connection

Alternatively, you could remove the Netgear drivers that came with the
adaptor and install the older ones from the Netgear web site: I think (but I
could be wrong) the latest "safe" drivers are 1.2 and the "broken" drivers
are 1.3.

Old August 15th 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

I've got this setup and have had no problems setting up using the
Netgear software as per instructions.

To change the region do you following :-

[Start]
[Control Panel]
[Performace and Maintainance]
[System]
[Hardware] tab
[Device Manager]
double click METGEAR WG111T under Network adaptors
[Advanced] tab
[Regional Domain]
then change dropdown to 'Europe'
[OK]

you may/may not need to reboot your PC now.

I'd now recommend trying to connect the WG111T to the router with all
encryption turned off,
Once this works try with WEP, enter the key manually for the WG111T
(I've not had much luck myself using the Passphrase method)

Dave