Against my better judgement - BT

Old August 15th 06, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Against my better judgement - BT

I've just applied for a MC from Plusnet - no need to explain why!

I've watching ADSLguide and Broadband newsgroups and despite all the good
reviews for ISP's such as ZEN, Nildram, IDnet, etc; I think I may go for BT
(option 3). Why?

I joined Plusnet when THEY were considered one of the 'better' choice for an
ISP. An I think they became overwhelmed. I seem to remember the same
happening to Pipex.

Judging by Plusnet newsgroups a lot of their customers seem to be heading
for one of the current 'top' performing ISP's (as above).

Does this mean they in turn will turn into a Plusnet fiasco? And am I safer
(in the long run) going for BT - who are extremely unlikely to go bust, or
get taken over?

Clive

Old August 15th 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Clive blathered :-
I've just applied for a MC from Plusnet - no need to explain why!

I've watching ADSLguide and Broadband newsgroups and despite all the good
reviews for ISP's such as ZEN, Nildram, IDnet, etc; I think I may go for BT
(option 3). Why?

I joined Plusnet when THEY were considered one of the 'better' choice for an
ISP. An I think they became overwhelmed. I seem to remember the same
happening to Pipex.

Judging by Plusnet newsgroups a lot of their customers seem to be heading
for one of the current 'top' performing ISP's (as above).

Does this mean they in turn will turn into a Plusnet fiasco? And am I safer
(in the long run) going for BT - who are extremely unlikely to go bust, or
get taken over?

Clive

Speculation is that in the mid- to long-term, BT will end up getting
eaten by Deutsche Telekom.

Personally, I wouldn't - my sister used to work in BT Broadband (the bit
that's not dealt with in Noida), which is possibly the most damning
indictment of their support possible. She's nice, but a complete luddite
. To her, 50:1 contention ratio meant that you could network 50 PCs to
the one ADSL connection...

xF,

....Nick

Old August 15th 06, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Nicholas Thomas" wrote in
message ...
Clive blathered :-
[...]

But she's left now, hasn't she. ;o)
--
Keith Willcocks

Old August 15th 06, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Keith Willcocks blathered :-
"Nicholas Thomas" wrote in
message ...
Clive blathered :-
[...]

True, but she was considered to be one of their *better* advisors...
Old August 15th 06, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Clive" wrote in message
I've just applied for a MC from Plusnet - no need to explain why!

I've watching ADSLguide and Broadband newsgroups and despite all the good
reviews for ISP's such as ZEN, Nildram, IDnet, etc; I think I may go for
BT (option 3). Why?

I joined Plusnet when THEY were considered one of the 'better' choice for
an ISP. An I think they became overwhelmed. I seem to remember the same
happening to Pipex.

Judging by Plusnet newsgroups a lot of their customers seem to be heading
for one of the current 'top' performing ISP's (as above).

Does this mean they in turn will turn into a Plusnet fiasco? And am I
safer (in the long run) going for BT - who are extremely unlikely to go
bust, or get taken over?

I was with BT for a long time and never had a problem. The only real
problem is if you need to contact customer service. "Rachel" or "Robert"
based in India might or might not be knowledgeable but their accents were
sometimes very difficult to understand and led to confusing and frustrating
conversations.
I only left them to get a cheaper deal elsewhere.

Old August 15th 06, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Beck wrote:

"Clive" wrote in message
[...]

I do wish Indian call centres wouldn't use bogus names. It's so obvious ! And
yes, I've have trouble understanding them sometimes too despite having been to
India any times.

Graham

Old August 15th 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

I do wish Indian call centres wouldn't use bogus names. It's so obvious !
And
yes, I've have trouble understanding them sometimes too despite having
been to
India any times.

Yeah I would prefer it if they used their real names rather than a faked one
to please us. It makes no difference as to whether I can understand them or
not.

Old August 15th 06, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Beck" [email protected] wrote in message

I was with BT for a long time and never had a problem. The only real
problem is if you need to contact customer service. "Rachel" or "Robert"
based in India might or might not be knowledgeable but their accents were
sometimes very difficult to understand and led to confusing and
frustrating conversations.
I only left them to get a cheaper deal elsewhere.

Snap!
I was about to write something very similar in reply but you said it all.
I'm now on the horns of a dilemma myself - not wanting to go back to BT
because of the awful chore when something goes wrong of having to translate
my everyday English idiom and regional accent into very slow and deliberate
"international English" when trying to get my point across to the
Bangalorees.
At the moment, Plusnet is still working for me but I'm dreading trying (and
probably failing) to get through to their new, super "hindrancedesk" if
something goes wrong.
Besides, my Plusnet monthly payment is around half of what I was paying to
BT for the same service.
What to do?
At the moment, I'm sticking my head in the sand...
George

Old August 15th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"George Weston" wrote in message
Snap!
I was about to write something very similar in reply but you said it all.
I'm now on the horns of a dilemma myself - not wanting to go back to BT
because of the awful chore when something goes wrong of having to
translate my everyday English idiom and regional accent into very slow and
deliberate "international English" when trying to get my point across to
the Bangalorees.
At the moment, Plusnet is still working for me but I'm dreading trying
(and probably failing) to get through to their new, super "hindrancedesk"
if something goes wrong.
Besides, my Plusnet monthly payment is around half of what I was paying to
BT for the same service.
What to do?
At the moment, I'm sticking my head in the sand...

Well my Plusnet is also okay at the moment. If I wanted to leave I am still
in contract anyway so at the moment it is not an issue. While the service
is good for me then there is no reason for me to switch.

Old August 15th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

[...]

Check the terms and conditions - you will still have to pay Plusnet to
leave - even after 12months (see my other post today).

Clive