A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Netgear DG834N



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 15th 06, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Netgear DG834N

We have a working ADSL connection using a BT supplied Business Hub, we would
prefer to use a Netgear. However for some reason the Netgear does not see the
ADSL line. It works on another line - at least the led comes on.

We can't get into the Netgear as it does not want to let you in without a
connection - which is not the impression you get from the manual, which does
not seem to match the router. :-(

--

Regards

Dave Saville

NB Remove -nospam for good email address


  #2  
Old August 15th 06, 01:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Netgear DG834N

"Dave Saville" wrote:

We have a working ADSL connection using a BT supplied Business Hub, we would
prefer to use a Netgear. However for some reason the Netgear does not see the
ADSL line. It works on another line - at least the led comes on.


I found the VCI and VPI settings were set to something other than the
needed... (nb different settings are used on Karoo)... VPI=0 VCI=38

We can't get into the Netgear as it does not want to let you in without a
connection - which is not the impression you get from the manual, which
does not seem to match the router. :-(


I've seen some routers (if the connection to the phone line is in) seem to
dedicate all processor priority to getting the connection. Are you still
"locked out" if no phone cable is plugged in? Might be an idea to give
the Netgear model number too, if asking for assistance... I have no
wireless Netgear kit (nor hands on, I talked a friend through setting his
up over the phone, as he lives miles away, and that went fine once the
VPI and VCI settings were correct!)
  #3  
Old August 15th 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Netgear DG834N

I wrote:

Might be an idea to give the Netgear model number too, if asking for assistance...


repeat 1000 times
I must check the subject line...
I must check the subject line...
I must check the subject line...

or alter my newsreader to show it just above the text where I'm typing...
  #4  
Old August 15th 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Netgear DG834N

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:47:31 +0100, Dave Saville wrote:

We have a working ADSL connection using a BT supplied Business Hub, we would
prefer to use a Netgear. However for some reason the Netgear does not see the
ADSL line. It works on another line - at least the led comes on.

We can't get into the Netgear as it does not want to let you in without a
connection - which is not the impression you get from the manual, which does
not seem to match the router. :-(


Are you trying to get in via wireless . Much better to try an ethernet
connection via cable to one of the ports.

Dave

  #5  
Old August 16th 06, 08:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Netgear DG834N

No we are not trying to get in by wireless. In fact the wireless light does not
come on at boot even though the manual says it should.

The manual does not seem to bear any relationship to the device. Neither the
one on the shipped CD nor the one on Netgear's site.

According to the book pointing a browser at the thing should bring up a login
screen with user id and password. That would be followed with a screen where
one can choose country/language and wether to use the setup wizard or do it
manually.

What we see is the first screen asks for country/language only and is followed
by one asking if you want to change the admin password, followed by "I can't do
anything because there is no connection" Quit/Retry.


--

Regards

Dave Saville

NB Remove -nospam for good email address


  #6  
Old August 16th 06, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Netgear DG834N


Dave Saville wrote:
No we are not trying to get in by wireless. In fact the wireless light does not
come on at boot even though the manual says it should.

The manual does not seem to bear any relationship to the device. Neither the
one on the shipped CD nor the one on Netgear's site.

According to the book pointing a browser at the thing should bring up a login
screen with user id and password. That would be followed with a screen where
one can choose country/language and wether to use the setup wizard or do it
manually.

What we see is the first screen asks for country/language only and is followed
by one asking if you want to change the admin password, followed by "I can't do
anything because there is no connection" Quit/Retry.


I've seen the same problem, on the same bit of kit. However ISTR you
get that if you try to access the device on any ethernet port other
than number 1 ?

  #7  
Old August 16th 06, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Netgear DG834N

On 16 Aug 2006 00:51:06 -0700, Mark Carver wrote:

I've seen the same problem, on the same bit of kit. However ISTR you
get that if you try to access the device on any ethernet port other
than number 1 ?


I think you may have hit the nail on the head here. I am used to one port
devices so did not think :-)

Have passed it on and we shall see.

Thanks.

--

Regards

Dave Saville

NB Remove -nospam for good email address


 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Netgear Voice Adaptor TA612V and Netgear DG814 setup [email protected] uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 3 March 14th 06 07:17 AM
Netgear DG814 connectivity with Netgear Voice Adaptor TA612V poster uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 1 March 14th 06 05:51 AM
Netgear DG814 connectivity with Netgear Voice Adaptor TA612V [email protected] uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 March 13th 06 04:40 PM
Connecting Netgear DM602 ADSL modem to Netgear WGT624 wireless router Milleniumaire uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 December 28th 03 04:19 PM
Connecting Netgear DM602 ADSL modem to Netgear WGT624 wireless router Milleniumaire uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 3 December 24th 03 06:23 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.