ISP for my business?

Old August 15th 06, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default ISP for my business?

Hi,

I look after the network for a small business (35 users). We've been
with Mailbox internet for years, they host our website, hold our domain
name and are our ISP. They used to be brilliant but have been eaten up
by a larger organisation, sending their speed, reliability and, more
importantly for me, their customer service completely downhill.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced ISP within the London area?
Preferably one that I can call and speak to a person?

Any help much appreciated!

Dizzygiuls

Old August 15th 06, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Dizzygiuls" wrote:

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced ISP within the London area?
Preferably one that I can call and speak to a person?

Little need for them to be in the London area, surely, as any ISP is likely
to offer service across the whole UK these days. Talking to one is quite
a different question. For business use, you might consider aaisp.net
(depends on your monthly traffic levels, and budgets).

Any help much appreciated!

I would keep webspace / ADSL / domain registration with completely
different firms. If you ever have a dispute of webspace, then with
separate a domain registration firm you can change the nameservers.
Similarly, if you have problems with your ADSL, then you want to be
sure that in a dispute your domain control and webspace are separate.
I'm not suggesting anyone is "bound" to have disputes, but *if* it does
happen, then keeping these things separate can allow greater flexibility
than having all in one basket (which is why I've no plan to use any sort
of mobile/landline/calls/broadband package anytime soon, for home).
Old August 16th 06, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article . com,
Dizzygiuls says...
Hi,

I look after the network for a small business (35 users). We've been
with Mailbox internet for years, they host our website, hold our domain
name and are our ISP. They used to be brilliant but have been eaten up
by a larger organisation, sending their speed, reliability and, more
importantly for me, their customer service completely downhill.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced ISP within the London area?
Preferably one that I can call and speak to a person?

Any help much appreciated!

Dizzygiuls

Eclipse or Zen both do reasonably priced business packages and have UK
based call centres/support people. AAISP is another good pick, if a
touch on the expensive side, but how much is reliability and backup
worth to you?

FR
Old August 16th 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:49:56 +0100, NoNeedToKnow wrote:

"Dizzygiuls" wrote:

[...]

Sensible advice. I remain at a loss why so few punters take that route; you
may not have a dispute with your web hosting organisation until one day it
just disappears off the face of the earth. It is then a simple matter to move
your Domain name elsewhere. What you do when, or if, your registrar goes up
in a puff of electronic smoke is perhaps an entirely different matter.

DCB