Walkie-Talkie type Voip application?

Old August 15th 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Walkie-Talkie type Voip application?

Hi,

I'm looking for a Walkie-Talkie like application to run across a couple
of PC's on my home network. This is not a proper Voip application,
which give a full two way conversation. I'm looking for something which
would run constantly in the background, and when you push the "talk"
button (space bar, something?) it allows you to speak straight away to
the PC at the other end.

I have Skype already and don't want to have to wait for it to initiate
the call (5 seconds) and then wait for the person at the other end (my
wife) to trot over to the PC and answer the call. I just want to hit
the button and start speaking and it come out the other end. Just like
a walkie talkie would really.

This is for stuff that you'd normally shout around the house. "Can you
get that phone call", or "Would you like tea or coffee?" or "Has that
washing finished?" or "Come to lunch now" or "get off that bloody PC
and come in the house" or "You stink of poo"... or whatever.

Anyway, I've been googling (Hope they don't sue* me for that) around
and can't find anything suitable. Most results seem to give stuff about
Verizon PTT or other cellular/mobile stuff.

Ooooo. And one PC is WinXP and t'other is Linux.

Such a thing must exist though?

Thanks,

Steve

* http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08...e_brand_abuse/

Old August 15th 06, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

wrote:
[...]

*
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08...e_brand_abuse/

Maybe not the solution you're looking for, but why not use something
like Yahoo messenger (or any messenger type prog where you have to
press a key to speak) on each machine, set up a call between the 2
machines at the beginning of the day and leave it open? That way, when
you wanted to "tannoy*" the other person, you just key up and speak.

(*I think Google could be on a bit of a sticky wicket trying to stop
people "googling" instead of doing a Google search)

Old August 15th 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In message . com,
writes
Hi,

I'm looking for a Walkie-Talkie like application to run across a couple
of PC's on my home network.

Steve, what you need is TeamSpeak. It does exactly what you want.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/

--
Ian
Old August 16th 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

news wrote:
In message . com,
writes
Hi,

I'm looking for a Walkie-Talkie like application to run across a couple
of PC's on my home network.

Steve, what you need is TeamSpeak. It does exactly what you want.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/

--
Ian

MSN messenger has a push to talk option just like you want.

Rich

Old August 16th 06, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In message om,
writes

news wrote:
In message . com,
writes
Hi,

I'm looking for a Walkie-Talkie like application to run across a couple
of PC's on my home network.

Steve, what you need is TeamSpeak. It does exactly what you want.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/

--
Ian

MSN messenger has a push to talk option just like you want.

Rich

Does MSN Messenger run under Linux? The OP said that one machine was a
Linux machine. That's why I suggested TeamSpeak, which runs under both
Windows and Linux.

--
Ian