Max or not? Cheaper 512 service?

Old August 15th 06, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Max or not? Cheaper 512 service?

I finally got around to tearing out all my hideously ratty and messy
phone wiring and replacing with new. My SNR has leapt from 12 to ...
13! wOot! There must be so much loss in the line that my house
wiring, bad though it was, made no difference.

It was still worth doing just to tidy up, but since I'd like to flee
the dreaded Pusnet, I'm wondering what is my best option.

Currently I have a 512k service and it's stable and reliable. I work
from home a lot, so I do depend on it.

I'm wondering if it's even worth my while going to ADSL MAX* and going
through the pain of temporary instability etc. I saw a chart of the
performance of various ADSL types over various line lengths, and it
looks to me like MAX will not help, and might even make things worse.

Current stats:

Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 58 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 13 db 23 db

Line length must be at least 4 miles, I'd say.

If I'm to stay on a fixed 512k service, then are there any good ISP's
where I can pay a lower price for my slower connection? I'm aware of
the current Namesco offer which looks great (I've signed my parents up
who live up the road). However, that has a 2GB cap and looking back
over my history I seem to do 4-8 GB a month usually. Are there any
other good deals that anyone can recommend?

Thanks!

____________________________________

*The other complication is that Samknows seems to disagree with itself
about my exchange's MAX status. The exchange is located physically int
he town of Sixpenny Handley. I live in Tollard Royal, which used to
have an exchange in the village, but not any more.

If I plug in my phone number to the availability checker, it says I am
connected to Handley (STHANLY) exchange which is MAX enabled.

If I put Tollard Royal into the Exchange search it gives me (STTOLRY),
which it says in not MAX enabled.

Therefore I'm not sure if I am enabled or not.
Old August 15th 06, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

*The other complication is that Samknows seems to disagree with itself
about my exchange's MAX status. The exchange is located physically int
he town of Sixpenny Handley. I live in Tollard Royal, which used to
have an exchange in the village, but not any more.

If I plug in my phone number to the availability checker, it says I am
connected to Handley (STHANLY) exchange which is MAX enabled.

If I put Tollard Royal into the Exchange search it gives me (STTOLRY),
which it says in not MAX enabled.

Therefore I'm not sure if I am enabled or not.

In general, you should go with the information from your phone number rather
than your local exchange - your line may not necessarily go to the nearest
exchange. That said, samknows has been known to display small errors in the
past...

Old August 15th 06, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"John Carlyle-Clarke" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Similar quandary here - related advice from experienced users appreciated.

Is it worth going for MAX - especially as my ISP (Surfanytime) wants and
additional £7 (40% more) per month for it? Could it destabilise my stable
service?

Router readings on existing totally stable 512k service a

Downstream attenuation/Noise Margin - 60/22

Upstream attenuation/Noise Margin - 31.5/21

Many thanks.

Paul

Old August 15th 06, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In message , Paul
writes
"John Carlyle-Clarke" wrote in message
. ..
I'm wondering if it's even worth my while going to ADSL MAX* and going
through the pain of temporary instability etc. I saw a chart of the
performance of various ADSL types over various line lengths, and it
looks to me like MAX will not help, and might even make things worse.

Current stats:

Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 58 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 13 db 23 db

Similar quandary here - related advice from experienced users appreciated.

Is it worth going for MAX - especially as my ISP (Surfanytime) wants and
additional £7 (40% more) per month for it? Could it destabilise my stable
service?

Router readings on existing totally stable 512k service a

Downstream attenuation/Noise Margin - 60/22

Upstream attenuation/Noise Margin - 31.5/21

Very similar situation he

Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 57 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 18 db 22 db

I'm quite some distance from garden shed BT calls an exchange. My next
door neighbour has recently had ADSL installed and is MAXed. IIRC his
connection speed is 588kbps.

I don't think there would be much (if any) benefit in going for it. My
connection is relatively low speed, but very stable. I don't want to
jeopardise it for the sake of a few extra bits per second.
--
Martin Jay
Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877
Old August 15th 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

I'm in the same boat here
Due to line length, I'm currently on 512K maximum available speed on
IPstream (from any supplier) - and it works well.
BT's prediction is a maximum of "up to" 1.5Mb if I go for MaxADSL.
However, reading of all the teething troubles with MaxADSL, I'm loath to opt
for it - even though it's available at no extra cost from my ISP.
By the way, Tesco do a 512K offering but I wouldn't touch them with yours,
as the saying goes. They don't take MAC keys and they're acually operated by
NTL.

George

Old August 15th 06, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Paul wrote:
[...]

If those readings are accurate then you are just within limits for
1Mb, depending onnhow your ISP is implimenting it's MAXDSL rollout it
could pay to go that route as looking at that SNR reading you could
get 2Mb if not more, but it all depends on how your ISP runs its
support (whether it does give you any or not)..

Old August 15th 06, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Martin Jay wrote:
In message , Paul
writes
[...]

It's not the same, look at the figures, especially the Upstream SNR.
His is 31.5 dB whilst yours is 18dB, so his SNR is over 16 times
better than yours, a big difference...

Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 57 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 18 db 22 db

I'm quite some distance from garden shed BT calls an exchange. My
next door neighbour has recently had ADSL installed and is MAXed.
IIRC his connection speed is 588kbps.

I don't think there would be much (if any) benefit in going for it.
My connection is relatively low speed, but very stable. I don't
want
to jeopardise it for the sake of a few extra bits per second.

You forget your Upload speed will also double so it could be worth it
anyway if you do a lot of uploading...

Old August 16th 06, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"kráftéé" [email protected] you know
what'sgoodforu.pus.com wrote in
:

If those readings are accurate then you are just within limits for
1Mb, depending onnhow your ISP is implimenting it's MAXDSL rollout
it could pay to go that route as looking at that SNR reading you
could get 2Mb if not more, but it all depends on how your ISP runs
its support (whether it does give you any or not)..

That ISP is Plusnet, so I can opt in to the MAX rollout for when/if it
starts again, but I'd hate to try and get help if anything goes wrong.
Old August 16th 06, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:

"kráftéé" [email protected] you know
what'sgoodforu.pus.com wrote in
:

If those readings are accurate then you are just within limits for
1Mb, depending onnhow your ISP is implimenting it's MAXDSL rollout
it could pay to go that route as looking at that SNR reading you
could get 2Mb if not more, but it all depends on how your ISP runs
its support (whether it does give you any or not)..

That ISP is Plusnet, so I can opt in to the MAX rollout for when/if it
starts again, but I'd hate to try and get help if anything goes wrong.

Having experienced Plusnet's 'support' recently I'd advise you *don't do it*. If
it goes wrong you'll almost be on your own. They truly don't seem to have a
clue. They haven't done a single thing to improve my connection problems in
nearly 2 months.

I'd advise moving to a different ISP if you want to try it.

Graham

Old August 16th 06, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

George Weston wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message t...
[...]

My next door neighbour changed to ADSL Max a couple of months ago and his speed went from 1MB to 512KB. BT Openworld say the speed is what they would expect from his line. Neither they nor BT will take on board that the speed was 1MB before the change.

--
Remove SOMETHINGFISHY to email
www.ukwebhost.com