No MAC ans new ISP

Old August 15th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default No MAC ans new ISP

I have a dispute with Plusnet - about them wanting a cancellation fee for a
modem - which my original order does not show and I certainly never
received. I'm also sure they can tell what equipment I used to connect to
them - Netgear router.

Anyway, What if I just order a DSL service from another provider? I'm fully
aware I will be without a DSL connection for a while. But can Plusnet make
my phone line unusable by another ISP?

Thanks

Clive

Old August 15th 06, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Clive wrote:

I have a dispute with Plusnet - about them wanting a cancellation fee for a
modem - which my original order does not show and I certainly never
received. I'm also sure they can tell what equipment I used to connect to
them - Netgear router.

Anyway, What if I just order a DSL service from another provider? I'm fully
aware I will be without a DSL connection for a while. But can Plusnet make
my phone line unusable by another ISP?

They can be awkward for sure. Without a MAC you'll have to cease and reprovide
which'll cost you.

However if they're claiming to have supplied something and you can demonstrate
that you never asked for or received it, give trading standards a call. They're
*very* helpful with this kind of thing. You could also suggest you're taking
legal advice and will hold them responsible for your incurred expenses ( mention
taking them to the Small Claims Court ). That'll likely make them change their
tune.

I had some success with getting their attitude to change myself btw. It does
work. Things that originally 'couldn't be done' strangely became possible.

Graham

Old August 15th 06, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Clive" wrote:

I have a dispute with Plusnet - about them wanting a cancellation fee for a
modem - which my original order does not show and I certainly never
received. I'm also sure they can tell what equipment I used to connect to
them - Netgear router.

Whether you use a Netgear router or not, doesn't in itself guarantee some
other item was not meant to be sent. Ask them for proof that it was
received, and make hard copies of the details from your order.

Anyway, What if I just order a DSL service from another provider? I'm fully
aware I will be without a DSL connection for a while. But can Plusnet make
my phone line unusable by another ISP?

If they don't "cease" service then it will have a "conflicting product"
which will blight any alternative service on the line, with perhaps some
exceptions. Switching the line from BT to another company offering ADSL
might cancel the PN ADSL service but is fairly drastic as a solution.

(Also remember that if PN have not ceased service they will be expecting
payment for as many months as it takes to sort out the mess).
Old August 15th 06, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message
"Clive" wrote:

[...]

I already have advised them that I am willing to pay the 47 fee to cancel
my account, but NOT the 20 for some hardware that was not on my original
order and I certainly never received.

I've already challenged them several times to provide proof that 1. they
sent hardware and 2. that I received it.

As usual with Plusnet CS they refuse to answer.

At the end of the day, Plusnets stance is they won't give me a MAC key until
I give them 67. Now unless they will accept 47, then I have no
alternative, but to go to someone else, maybe even cable (which I can get in
my area).

I'm not sure of the legal implications, but in my mind this is pure bully
tactics to try and force people to stay with them - I have read other
similar posts on Plusnets forums/newsgroups.

Regards

Clive

Old August 15th 06, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Clive wrote:

I already have advised them that I am willing to pay the 47 fee to cancel
my account

What's the 47 for ? Deferred activation costs ? Don't *cancel* btw - get the
free downgrade to dial-up.

but NOT the 20 for some hardware that was not on my original
order and I certainly never received.

I've already challenged them several times to provide proof that 1. they
sent hardware and 2. that I received it.

As usual with Plusnet CS they refuse to answer.

If they can't provide any evidence of supplying it they won't stand a chance in
court. Failure of them to answer a direct question would be good reason not to
pay them.

At the end of the day, Plusnets stance is they won't give me a MAC key until
I give them 67. Now unless they will accept 47, then I have no
alternative, but to go to someone else, maybe even cable (which I can get in
my area).

I'm not sure of the legal implications, but in my mind this is pure bully
tactics to try and force people to stay with them - I have read other
similar posts on Plusnets forums/newsgroups.

Stand up to them and it should change. You really should talk to Trading
Standards btw.

You could also post your woes here plusnet.service.customer-feedback

Graham

Old August 15th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Clive" wrote in message
I have a dispute with Plusnet - about them wanting a cancellation fee for a
modem - which my original order does not show and I certainly never
received. I'm also sure they can tell what equipment I used to connect to
them - Netgear router.

Anyway, What if I just order a DSL service from another provider? I'm
fully aware I will be without a DSL connection for a while. But can
Plusnet make my phone line unusable by another ISP?

Thanks

Clive

What a pity you didn't keep the "welcome" email they sent you.
The one that goes:

"Dear (xxx),
ABOUT YOUR PlusNet Broadband Plus - Up to 2Mb (Monthly Contract, No
Modem) ACCOUNT
We are pleased to announce that we have ordered the broadband line
activation for your account. Overall, this process normally takes
5 to 10 working days. We will send an email to your PlusNet email
address once your line is activated."

Being a non-trusting grumpy old git, I keep each and every email that I
receive from ISPs, just in case I might need the evidence.

George

Old August 15th 06, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"George Weston" wrote in message

"Clive" wrote in message
[...]

I did George - every email from Plusnet has been kept (with several
backups) ;-)

From a legal point of view I think they are stuffed, but then it's my
connection I'm bothered about.

I also have POP3 email boxes with a 3rd party company (always have had) - so
moving ISP shouldn't be a problem as long as they release my line i.e give
me a damn MAC

Clive

Old August 15th 06, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

Clive wrote:

[...]

Cheers for the reply Graham. The 47 IS a deferred activation. When I
originally asked for my MAC they did send me details of the free dialup.

Don't worry - I'm only paying the 47 (maybe not even that).

My major concern is they don't release the line. I've also asked several
times for proof they sent me any hardware - no reply. At the moment I've
only tried calling CS once got fed up after 20min in Q

Clive

Old August 15th 06, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Clive" wrote:

[...]

I would begin by saving to your PC the relevant pages from your PN Account.
Hopefully you've kept copies of all your communications (save copies of
anything you've sent via the ticket system(.

As others have suggested run it past TS.

By not replying to you PN are effectively holding you to ransom by
preventing you migrating away. So you need to break the deadlock.

I recommend that you pay them in full, together with a letter summarising
your communication & their lack of it, & the amount which you dispute.
State that the disputed amount is being paid under duress.

When you've moved away require them to prove they supplied the modem or
immediately refund the amount paid under duress. State that failure to do
either will result in you issuing legal proceedings for recovery.

Have a look at the thread "Considering Plusnet" posted in this group on
01/08. There is a post in that recommending who to write to at PN & a useful
link to Small Claims procedure in the County Courts.

Should you have to do all this ? No of course not & with a half- decent firm
you wouldn't need to, but as they're ignoring you on one hand while taking
your money with the other, you have to find a way of breaking the deadlock.

Good Luck.

Joe Lee

Old August 16th 06, 12:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Clive" wrote:

as long as they release my line i.e give me a damn MAC

You could, of course, post on the Usergroup forum and see if Ian Wild or
Bob Pullen can look into the situation (post a ticket number as they can
then identify your account and go back to the service notes to find the
message clarifying 'no modem'). They should quickly "see sense" and
sort it out for you. Try http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/

If that fails, then as Joe Lee has suggested, pay but then taking action
to recover the sum for the overcharge would seem the way to finish it,
while complaining in a newsgroup only provides you a way to continue
staying "up a creek, with no paddle".