Intermittent router problem, advice appreciated

Old August 15th 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Intermittent router problem, advice appreciated

Hi all,

I have been using a Netgear MR314 router for some time now, and it's
always been fine. I have two PCs wired to it and a portable usually
connecting via wireless.

Recently I started to get an intermittent problem where Windows would
say the cable was unplugged and the router would go off-line, with the
Test led flashing. You could see, by the pattern of lights going on and
off that it was in test mode (as per it's boot sequence). Sometimes it
would come back on-line fairly quickly, other times not for a long time.
I've tried powering it off (sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for a
couple of hours), resetting it, resetting it another way (as advised by
Netgear) - none of these things solve the problem - if it's 'dead' when
I power off it is still dead when I power up again. Then it will start
working ok, for no apparent reason.
I tried swapping cables around, etc. and could not pin the problem down
to any one thing, so I concluded that the router was faulty.
I got a new Netgear WGR614 router, and that has been working fine for a
while now. So... it was the MR314, it seems.

Lately I decided to test the MR314 again, just with the portable (wired
connection this time) and an old PC. Now it seems to be working ok. It
did drop out once but recovered and has been ok for several hours now.

The only other symptom I can think of is that during the problem period
we were having exceptionally hot weather. Are routers heat-sensitive, do
you think?

I'd just like to get some idea of what the problem actually is/was, for
future reference. Any thoughts, similar experiences?

John