Scotnet and smaller providers

Old August 16th 06, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Scotnet and smaller providers

Given the price war between the larger ISP's are smaller providers like
Scotnet going to struggle to keep afloat ?

Also in 'exchange activate' areas in the highlands are BT and Scotnet still
the only choices ?

Also does anyone have experience of Scotnet compared to BT for home ADSL ?

Old August 16th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In message , Glen
Watson writes
Given the price war between the larger ISP's are smaller providers like
Scotnet going to struggle to keep afloat ?

Also in 'exchange activate' areas in the highlands are BT and Scotnet still
the only choices ?

Also does anyone have experience of Scotnet compared to BT for home ADSL ?

Scotnet is primarily a business ISP IME. I hooked a punter up with them
last week. They're ok but have no experience of how they perform in the
long term or even how much they cost.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"
Old August 17th 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Glen Watson wrote:
Also in 'exchange activate' areas in the highlands are BT and Scotnet still
the only choices ?

No any of the Entanet Partners/Customer can place orders on these exchanges

Old August 18th 06, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Glen Watson" wrote in message
Also does anyone have experience of Scotnet compared to BT for home ADSL ?

I was on Scotnet dial-up for many years from the time they were a small ISP
based in Glasgow (where I was living at the time) and they were fine until
they moved servers to London(?) and their HQ to Inverness and various
glitches occurred and access to Usenet was lost for good. When I wanted
to go to broadband, I approached them to see if their apparently silly high
prices on their website were correct and they said they were! High
connection charges and extra charges for supplied modems etc so I had to
say bye-bye to them and (whisper) went for Tiscali's offering of 14.99
per month (now 12.99) which I have been on for 15 months now with no
problems.

But Scotnet do seem to be business-orientated with low contention ratios
available and I don't think they could ever be recommended on price basis
for home use.

RodP

Old August 18th 06, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"RodP" wrote:

I approached them to see if their apparently silly high prices on their website
were correct and they said they were!

I saw what their hosting packages cost (and then checked further: the
page was last modified: 18 June 2002 11:20 )... I cannot see anyone
being willing to pay those prices

I don't think they could ever be recommended on price basis for home use.

Not sure if there are still locations where it's about the only choice,
though, which would be unfortunate for any home users...