Dial Up Info please

Old August 16th 06, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Dial Up Info please

I have used Broadband for a few years so have lost touch with the way
dial-up is run by ISPs.

Today I was asked to help an elderly neighbour to install a TESCO dial
up connection.

In the past I do not recall having to enter details of a credit card
as I understood that Pay As You Go was charged by telephone usage and
was therefore added to your BT account.

It seems that this doesn't happen with TESCO and a separate charge is
made by them.

Is this the way all ISPs are now working? When I first talked to my
neighbour about going on a Pay As You Go I told her that she wouldn't
be faced with anything other than an increase on her BT account so it
came as a surprise when the connection process asked for Credit Card
details.

Hope someone in this NG is conversant with current procedures to give
an answer or at least steer me to an appropriate NewsGroup.

KM
Old August 16th 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

km wrote:
[...]

Hmmm, that does seem odd.

You can signup a pay-as-you-go dial up account via our site if you wish
without the need to add payment details:-
http://www.free-online.net/products/..._standard.html

Regards,

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Support Home & Business @
|Free Online www.free-online.net
+-- Free Online - The Easy to Use Internet Service --
Old August 16th 06, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

km wrote:

I have used Broadband for a few years so have lost touch with the way
dial-up is run by ISPs.

Today I was asked to help an elderly neighbour to install a TESCO dial
up connection.

In the past I do not recall having to enter details of a credit card
as I understood that Pay As You Go was charged by telephone usage and
was therefore added to your BT account.

It seems that this doesn't happen with TESCO and a separate charge is
made by them.

Why Tesco ?

Is this the way all ISPs are now working?

No.

When I first talked to my
neighbour about going on a Pay As You Go I told her that she wouldn't
be faced with anything other than an increase on her BT account so it
came as a surprise when the connection process asked for Credit Card
details.

Are you sure it's a 'pay as you go' service ?

Hope someone in this NG is conversant with current procedures to give
an answer or at least steer me to an appropriate NewsGroup.

It's as good a group as any I expect.

Graham

Old August 16th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

km wrote:

In the past I do not recall having to enter details of a credit card
as I understood that Pay As You Go was charged by telephone usage and
was therefore added to your BT account.

If your neighbor just needs basic access, they could use 123-Reg -
there is no sign-up page to go through, and no username or password
required! Instructions are he
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/dialup/

Old August 16th 06, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"km" wrote in message
[...]

I set up Tesco for someone recently on dial-up and that is indeed how they
do it. You pay them, not the telco. As far as I am aware it works out
the same cost wise.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old August 16th 06, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In message , km
writes
I have used Broadband for a few years so have lost touch with the way
dial-up is run by ISPs.

Today I was asked to help an elderly neighbour to install a TESCO dial
up connection.

In the past I do not recall having to enter details of a credit card
as I understood that Pay As You Go was charged by telephone usage and
was therefore added to your BT account.

It seems that this doesn't happen with TESCO and a separate charge is
made by them.

AFAIK Tesco charge the customer direct, so the Internet calls are
(presumably) made to a free call FRIACO 0808 number and then Tesco bills
the customer for usage.

So, no dialup charges for calls to 0845 or 0844 numbers appear on the
customer's phone bill.

Presumably this allows Tesco to keep a larger slice of the cake.
--
Martin Jay
Phone/SMS: +44 7740 191877
Old August 16th 06, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:57:01 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

km wrote:

I have used Broadband for a few years so have lost touch with the way
dial-up is run by ISPs.

Today I was asked to help an elderly neighbour to install a TESCO dial
up connection.

In the past I do not recall having to enter details of a credit card
as I understood that Pay As You Go was charged by telephone usage and
was therefore added to your BT account.

It seems that this doesn't happen with TESCO and a separate charge is
made by them.

Why Tesco ?

Mainly from convenience I suppose in that she was able to pick up a
disk locally

Is this the way all ISPs are now working?

No.

When I first talked to my
neighbour about going on a Pay As You Go I told her that she wouldn't
be faced with anything other than an increase on her BT account so it
came as a surprise when the connection process asked for Credit Card
details.

Are you sure it's a 'pay as you go' service ?

Yes I double-checked when coming across the page asking for credit
card info. Went backwards to go through all information again.

Old August 16th 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 18:06:51 +0100, "Keith Willcocks"
wrote:

"km" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for that. I still am worried that this seems to be a different
process than in the past. I am inclined to advise her to drop Tesco
and go with someone who simply adds to the telephone Bill. The one
advantage it gives however is that it is easier to identify running
costs.

KM
Old August 16th 06, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 16 Aug 2006 09:59:30 -0700, "Al" wrote:

km wrote:

In the past I do not recall having to enter details of a credit card
as I understood that Pay As You Go was charged by telephone usage and
was therefore added to your BT account.

If your neighbor just needs basic access, they could use 123-Reg -
there is no sign-up page to go through, and no username or password
required! Instructions are he
http://www.123-reg.co.uk/dialup/

I am likely to steer her towards an alternative so will bear that ISP
in mind.
Thanks.

KM
Old August 16th 06, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

km wrote:

I have used Broadband for a few years so have lost touch with the way
dial-up is run by ISPs.

Today I was asked to help an elderly neighbour to install a TESCO dial
up connection.

In the past I do not recall having to enter details of a credit card
as I understood that Pay As You Go was charged by telephone usage and
was therefore added to your BT account.

It seems that this doesn't happen with TESCO and a separate charge is
made by them.

Why Tesco ?

Mainly from convenience I suppose in that she was able to pick up a
disk locally

Figures.

Is this the way all ISPs are now working?

No.

When I first talked to my
neighbour about going on a Pay As You Go I told her that she wouldn't
be faced with anything other than an increase on her BT account so it
came as a surprise when the connection process asked for Credit Card
details.

Are you sure it's a 'pay as you go' service ?

Yes I double-checked when coming across the page asking for credit
card info. Went backwards to go through all information again.

Right. I took a look myself after you mentioned it. Their site was horribly slow
which isn't exactly a good advert.

Before I had broadband I used freeuk for dial-up and they actually seem quite
good. They never cancelled my email account either. I had to revert to dial-up
due to a broadband connection problem about a month back and their dial-up was
noticeably quicker than my own ISP's so I'd recommend them.
http://www.freeuk.com/dialup.php

Graham