DSL Actual vs DSL Maximum Rate

Old August 16th 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default DSL Actual vs DSL Maximum Rate

I wonder whether anyone can shed any light on this ? I have a Vigor 2600
router that gives the following output:

--------------------------- ATU-R Info (annex
A) ----------------------------
Running Mode : G.DMT State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 5184000 bps US Actual Rate : 416000
bps
DS maximum Rate : 6688000 bps US maximum Rate : 512000
bps
DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode :
Interleave
NE Current Attenuation : 31.0 dB Cur SNR Margin : 10.0
dB
DS actual PSDM(C) : 00000007 US actual PSDM(R) : 000037ab
ADSL Firmware Version : 41e2be2c
-------------------------------- ATU-C
Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation : 18.5 dB Far SNR Margin : 14.0
dB
CO ITU Version[0] : 00ff4753 CO ITU Version[1] : 504e0008
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : Unknown
INTL, DSTREAM bytes/depth= 32, symbols/codewords = 0, latency=
0*0.25ms.
, USTREAM bytes/depth= 1, symbols/codewords = 0, latency=
0*0.25ms.
CODE, DSTREAM fast parity bytes= 0, fast codeword= 0.
DSTREAM intl parity bytes= 16, intl codeword= 179.
CODE, USTREAM fast parity bytes= 0, fast codeword= 0.
USTREAM intl parity bytes= 16, intl codeword= 240.
Setting
FDQ : Enable, TCM : Enable, EC : Disable, Framing Mode : 3.
Running
FDQ : In Use, TCM : In Use, EC : Off.
DS : Framing Mode 3, US : Framing Mode 3.
ADI ADSL Firmware Version: 41e2be2c

Now, my question is this: what is the difference between DS Maximum Rate and
DS Actual Rate ? Can I ever attain the maximum rate and, if so, how ? I'm
guessing the answer lies somewhere in the SNR or Attenuation figures, but
even here I'm not sure whether these are low or high.

My connection is with Plusnet and I maintain a fairly high stability rate so
I'm not sure what else to do. One option (I'm told) is to take off
Interleave (an option with Plusnet) but this just leads to reduced latency,
not necessarily higher download speeds.

Any helps would be greatly appreciated.

(Chop the cheddar for personal replies)

Old August 19th 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Speedcheese wrote:

Now, my question is this: what is the difference between DS Maximum Rate and
DS Actual Rate ? Can I ever attain the maximum rate and, if so, how ? I'm
guessing the answer lies somewhere in the SNR or Attenuation figures, but
even here I'm not sure whether these are low or high.

the maximum rate is likely to be at either 6 dB or 0 dB SNR margin, so
it would be faster but less reliable. Also there is a speed penalty
from interleaving that shows as a difference between actual and maximum
rates even if you are at the same margin.

Phil