Recommendation please, hardware firewall for home network

Old August 17th 06, 02:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Recommendation please, hardware firewall for home network

Hi folks

Can anyone recommend a hardware firewall with reasonable content
filtering to sit between my small home network (one or two wired
machines and a wireless access point with one or two laptops) and the
cable modem? If it did the wireless AP bit & router stuff in the same
box that'd be most excellent!

My current (Belkin 801.11b wireless AP and 4-port switch) does basic
firewall stuff and NAT with only occasional, irritating crashes - but
it doesn't do content filtering. We've got three children who are just
discovering the joys of the CBBC website, Bamzooki, Google and the
rest... It'd be great to be able to set policies along the lines of:
filter these URLs for the whole network, this content for the whole
network, these URLs only for the kids machines, only allow ports 25
and 110 through to/from this machine, etc...

Would almost certainly be wanting a web-based interface, as my main
machine, and from which I'd want to do the admin, is a Linux box - so
no Windows-only clients...

Could do it manually on an old PC with IPCop, but that'd be noisy and
take up too much space...

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough lid
(Replace .invalid with .co.uk to reply)
Old August 17th 06, 07:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Colin Brough wrote:
[...]

My Netgear WGR614 router does things along those lines. The manual is
on-line (www.netgear.com) if you wanted to check in detail.
I did have a Netgear MR314, which sounds similar to your Belkin, and the
main 'firewall' feature was the NAT. This newer router is the same,
functionally (router, switch, AP), but has more advanced features,
including what they term Stateful Packet Inspection.
I expect all the main brands are similar.

John