That's it - I've had it with PlusNet

Old August 17th 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default That's it - I've had it with PlusNet

The damn thing has been down since before 8.30 am this morning. Can't even
access via dial up. The first 2 hours each morning are our busiest time and
we can't be contacted AGAIN. The bloody web site is down so people can't
even access our phone number
Anyone recommend an alternative unlimited access that also provides hosting?

Old August 17th 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Den" [email protected] wrote in message news:[email protected]
The damn thing has been down since before 8.30 am this morning. Can't even
access via dial up. The first 2 hours each morning are our busiest time
and we can't be contacted AGAIN. The bloody web site is down so people
can't even access our phone number
Anyone recommend an alternative unlimited access that also provides
hosting?

you're lucky. our one has been offline for 3 weeks now. i can't even call
them on the phone and they take so long to respond on their online support.

Old August 17th 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Den wrote:
The damn thing has been down since before 8.30 am this morning. Can't even
access via dial up. The first 2 hours each morning are our busiest time and
we can't be contacted AGAIN. The bloody web site is down so people can't
even access our phone number
Anyone recommend an alternative unlimited access that also provides hosting?

Seems to have been caused by a power outage at Telehouse North - see
thread "Poor old plusnet users" above.

Old August 17th 06, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

The damn thing has been down since before 8.30 am this morning. Can't
even access via dial up. The first 2 hours each morning are our
busiest time and we can't be contacted AGAIN. The bloody web site is
down so people can't even access our phone number
Anyone recommend an alternative unlimited access that also provides
hosting?

The reason is a major power failure and attendant problems at Telehouse
North. Not something within Plusnet's ability to resolve easily. Lots of
other organisations affected as well. Look before you leap!

Peter Crosland

Old August 17th 06, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter Crosland wrote in
:

The damn thing has been down since before 8.30 am this morning. Can't
even access via dial up. The first 2 hours each morning are our
busiest time and we can't be contacted AGAIN. The bloody web site is
down so people can't even access our phone number
Anyone recommend an alternative unlimited access that also provides
hosting?

The reason is a major power failure and attendant problems at
Telehouse North. Not something within Plusnet's ability to resolve
easily. Lots of other organisations affected as well. Look before you
leap!

Was it failure of the supply to the building (in which case the electricity
supply company should bear the cost) or failure of the supply to specific
floors/rooms (in which case Telehouse should bear the costs). Either way, I
hope Force 9 and the other affected companies take the guilty party to the
cleaners... and then buy proper UPSes and emergency generators with the
compensation money.

Old August 17th 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Martin Underwood wrote:

Was it failure of the supply to the building (in which case the electricity
supply company should bear the cost) or failure of the supply to specific
floors/rooms (in which case Telehouse should bear the costs). Either way, I
hope Force 9 and the other affected companies take the guilty party to the
cleaners... and then buy proper UPSes and emergency generators with the
compensation money.

An ISP such as Plusnet should really have diverse power feeds, *and* a
proper UPS.

Anyway, didn't exactly the same thing happen less than a year ago ?

Old August 17th 06, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Mark Carver wrote in
:

Martin Underwood wrote:

Was it failure of the supply to the building (in which case the
electricity supply company should bear the cost) or failure of the
supply to specific floors/rooms (in which case Telehouse should bear
the costs). Either way, I hope Force 9 and the other affected
companies take the guilty party to the cleaners... and then buy
proper UPSes and emergency generators with the compensation money.

An ISP such as Plusnet should really have diverse power feeds, *and* a
proper UPS.

Diverse feeds would only help if it was a problem inside the building,
unless Telehouse have got connections to more than one National Grid
substation. A UPS woudl help to tide them over for a little while but a long
term power cut (of more than a few minutes) is better covered by an
emergency generator than a UPS with several hours' battery life.

Anyway, didn't exactly the same thing happen less than a year ago ?

Probably. They seem to have had a lot of "bad luck" over the past couple of
years: various power cuts, loss of some or all web sites that they host,
loss of email servers and the email data. Etc etc. Up to now I've
recommended Force 9 to my customers who want a good ISP. I'm in two minds as
to whether I can still in all honesty recommend them - even though if I do
so I get 50p/month/customer discount off my own bill! At least so far Force
9 have resisted the "Indian call centre" plague on their support lines.

Old August 17th 06, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Mark Carver wrote in
:

Martin Underwood wrote:

[...]

Force 9 IS plusnet isn't it? The Force9 and PlusNet web sites are identical
and is the same and our web site DNS is Force9

Old August 17th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

ian wrote:

"Den" [email protected] wrote in message news:[email protected]
The damn thing has been down since before 8.30 am this morning. Can't even
access via dial up. The first 2 hours each morning are our busiest time
and we can't be contacted AGAIN. The bloody web site is down so people
can't even access our phone number
Anyone recommend an alternative unlimited access that also provides
hosting?

you're lucky. our one has been offline for 3 weeks now. i can't even call
them on the phone and they take so long to respond on their online support.

What are you doing about it ?

Graham