Logitech Dives Into VoIP

Old August 17th 06, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Logitech Dives Into VoIP

"Al" wrote in message

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:39:49 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in
message

I was counting skype.

I wasn't, because it isn't usable with ATA's etc.

What has that got to do with it?

Everything, if you need to be able to use the system from normal phones.

Ivor

Old August 17th 06, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Al" wrote in message

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 21:39:49 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in
message
I was counting skype.
I wasn't, because it isn't usable with ATA's etc.

What has that got to do with it?

Everything, if you need to be able to use the system from normal phones.

Which has nothing to do with it's status as a type of VoIP, nor its
popularity.
Old August 17th 06, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message

wrote in message

I was counting skype.
I wasn't, because it isn't usable with ATA's etc.
What has that got to do with it?

Everything, if you need to be able to use the system
from normal phones.

Which has nothing to do with it's status as a type of
VoIP, nor its popularity.

But everything if you need to be able to use it from normal phones.

Ivor

Old August 17th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Al" wrote in message

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:39:53 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

Everything, if you need to be able to use the system
from normal phones.

What's your definition of "normal phone"?

A phone that plugs into a normal phone socket, what's yours..?

Ivor

Old August 17th 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Al" wrote in message

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:11:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

A phone that plugs into a normal phone socket, what's
yours..?

What's a "normal phone socket?". In my company I can't
plug in the same handset that I use at home. Is my
company not using "normal phones"?

Not if they won't work on normal landlines, no. I don't know what system
you use at work, but I would guess they are "system" phones of some sort.

What about mobile phones - are they "abnormal"?

Who mentioned mobiles..?

Ivor

Old August 18th 06, 01:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Al" wrote in message

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:56:53 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

"Al" wrote in message

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:11:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

What about mobile phones - are they "abnormal"?

Who mentioned mobiles..?

To many people I know a mobile phone is the only type of
phone they use. Therefore to them it's a "normal phone".

You can't use VoIP over a mobile, hence it is not normal in that context.

The problem you have is that you are looking at it all in
a very narrow way as to what suits you. While I don't
personally use it, to many people (maybe the majority for
all I know) use Skype as a voip service. Who are you to
say that they're wrong?

I don't. I simply said that any system that requires a computer to be on
in order to function is no use to most people. MAybe I'm wrong, I don't
think so.

Ivor

Old August 18th 06, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Al" wrote in message

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:35:32 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

I don't. I simply said that any system that requires a
computer to be on in order to function is no use to
most people. MAybe I'm wrong,

You are wrong and blinkered by your own system's
deficiencies.

My system is very efficient. I can pick up any of 25+ phones and use any
one of 6 outside lines, 5 of which are VoIP. Incoming calls on different
numbers ring different phones depending on time of day and other
requirements, there are two cordless DECT phones on the system as well so
not everything is tied down by wires.

None of it needs a computer to be up and running and it's all backed up by
a UPS so doesn't disappear in the event of a power failure.

Ivor

Old August 18th 06, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Al" wrote in message

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:29:39 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

None of it needs a computer to be up and running and
it's all backed up by a UPS so doesn't disappear in the
event of a power failure.

But will you still be able to answer all those 25
telephones at once if your property gets a direct hit
from a missile?

Eh..?

Ivor

Old August 18th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Al" wrote in message

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:11:18 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

What about mobile phones - are they "abnormal"?
Who mentioned mobiles..?

To many people I know a mobile phone is the only type of
phone they use. Therefore to them it's a "normal phone".

You can't use VoIP over a mobile, hence it is not normal in that context.

There are mobile phones on the market now with builtin VoIP clients.

The problem you have is that you are looking at it all in
a very narrow way as to what suits you. While I don't
personally use it, to many people (maybe the majority for
all I know) use Skype as a voip service. Who are you to
say that they're wrong?

I don't. I simply said that any system that requires a computer to be on
in order to function is no use to most people. MAybe I'm wrong, I don't
think so.

You are wrong - I would contend that practically every VoIP system
requires a computer to be on in order to function.
Old August 18th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message

Ivor Jones wrote:

[snip]

I don't. I simply said that any system that requires a
computer to be on in order to function is no use to
most people. MAybe I'm wrong, I don't think so.

You are wrong - I would contend that practically every
VoIP system requires a computer to be on in order to
function.

At a network level, perhaps. But not at the end user level, which is what
we are discussing.

If every computer in this building failed now, the phones would still be
working.

Ivor