Fritz!Box Fon and Orchid V4 Dialler

Old August 17th 06, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Fritz!Box Fon and Orchid V4 Dialler

I am a little confused so am asking for some advice. I have read posts
about both of the above pieces of technology. Does the Fritz!Box
basically do the same as the Orchid Dialler, ie. route calls through
different providers dependant on number called and time of day, or do
I require both boxes?

I am wanting to set up so that it will route VoIP calls through my VoIP
provider, but also route PSTN calls through different suppliers, for
example daytime calls through 1899, mobile calls through call18185 etc.

If I do require both both boxes, could someone advise how how it should
be wired up?

Regards,

Mike

Old August 17th 06, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"globaltravelr" wrote in
message
ups.com
I am a little confused so am asking for some advice. I
have read posts about both of the above pieces of
technology. Does the Fritz!Box basically do the same as
the Orchid Dialler, ie. route calls through different
providers dependant on number called and time of day, or
do I require both boxes?

As I have no idea what an Orchid dialler does, I can't directly compare
the two devices.

I am wanting to set up so that it will route VoIP calls
through my VoIP provider, but also route PSTN calls
through different suppliers, for example daytime calls
through 1899, mobile calls through call18185 etc.

You could do some of that with a Fritz!Box. You could specify that all
mobile calls (numbers beginning 077, 078 or 079) be prefixed with 18185
and be routed out on the POTS port. I don't believe it's possible to
specify different rules at different times of day, though.

Ivor

Old August 17th 06, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

As I have no idea what an Orchid dialler does, I can't directly compare
the two devices.

The Orchid dialler is basically a "Mercury Smart Box" type of call router
that can handle multiple providers.

To the OP
Many of us have found the cheapest way to make calls is via VoIP, including
those calls that terminate on the PSTN.

Mobile calls may well be a different matter however.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old August 17th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thanks for the advice. However I'm not wanting to switch completely to
VoIP, as I feel I can still get a better deal routing some calls
through the PSTN line (ie. evening and weekend calls are free for me
through Primus). I also am finding that Sipgate, who I'm with for
VoIP, can still work out dearer when calling UK landlines, and for the
record I'm not wanting to change providers as I have already have a
phone number with Sipgate that I use.

Old August 17th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 17 Aug 2006 06:12:20 -0700, "globaltravelr"
wrote:

I am a little confused so am asking for some advice. I have read posts
about both of the above pieces of technology. Does the Fritz!Box
basically do the same as the Orchid Dialler, ie. route calls through
different providers dependant on number called and time of day, or do
I require both boxes?

I am wanting to set up so that it will route VoIP calls through my VoIP
provider, but also route PSTN calls through different suppliers, for
example daytime calls through 1899, mobile calls through call18185 etc.

If I do require both both boxes, could someone advise how how it should
be wired up?

Regards,

Mike

The answer to you question is you probably won't need your Orchid
dialler. Why probably? The Orchid dialler does one thing that the
Fritzbox, afaik, doesn't do and that is provide a delay. If, for
example, you were accessing 1899, or similar service, via an 0808
number, it would be necessary to call the 0808 number, then delay a
few seconds, then forward the number that had been dialled on the
handset. As you can usually dial 1899, with the dialled number
following immediately (from a BT line), the Fritzbox should be able to
take care of that on its own.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

Old August 17th 06, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"globaltravelr" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Brian,

However, can the Fritz!Box handle time/day routing like the Orchid
Dialler?

No, it cannot.

You would decide which call types would go out on your PSTN line & set those
up in the Fritz!Box, which you would plug in to the Orchid. Then, within the
Orchid, set up your PSTN providers & time rules and plug the Orchid into the
phone socket.

Old August 18th 06, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In message of Thu, 17 Aug 2006, globaltravelr writes
I am a little confused so am asking for some advice. I have read posts
about both of the above pieces of technology. Does the Fritz!Box
basically do the same as the Orchid Dialler, ie. route calls through
different providers dependant on number called and time of day, or do
I require both boxes?

I am wanting to set up so that it will route VoIP calls through my VoIP
provider, but also route PSTN calls through different suppliers, for
example daytime calls through 1899, mobile calls through call18185 etc.

If I do require both both boxes, could someone advise how how it should
be wired up?

Regards,

Mike

If you want to route calls according to time of day (and day of week, if
you want), then you will need the Orchid box. I don't know of an ATA
that does time of day routing. I use and Orchid box and SPA3000
together satisfactorily.

David
Old August 18th 06, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

David, thanks for that.

So I guess you have your handset plugged into the Orchid, and the
Orchid plugged into the ATA, and the ATA pluged into the phone socket.

Two things: First, I presume this setup allows you to make and receive
calls either through VoIP or PSTN as you wish, and those calls going
through the PSTN will be routed accordingly with the Orchid;

Second, I'm guessing that the SPA3000, like the Fritz!Box, uses a quick
dial code of sorts to determine whether a call is to be routed via VoIP
or PSTN. Does this not affect the information that the Orchid recieves?

Thanks once again,

Mike