Can I switch from Bulldog to Talk Talk?

Old August 17th 06, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Can I switch from Bulldog to Talk Talk?

(I posted this originally in uk.telecom, apologies if you read it there
as well.)

I signed up maybe 18 months ago for Bulldog's phone and broadband
package - incidentally with very few problems at all. But now I find
myself paying 29.50 for Broadband, 10.50 for the phone line, + the
cost of any calls I make = 40-odd quid a month.

I have enquired about switching to Talk Talk but the website says it is
not currently possible to switch from non-BT landlines, such as mine.
I visited a Carphone Warehouse High St. shop yesterday, only to be told
the same thing (though all he did was check the website as I had).

So, does anyone know of a way to switch, or an email address to contact
etc.? I'm thinking there must be something to do with MAC codes
(MACs?), but I'm no telecoms engineer.

If I need to switch back to BT first (return to donor?), and then go
LLU to Talk Talk, is there a minimum contract length for BT before I
can switch out again?

Are there any other operators similar to Talk Talk (either now or on
the horizon), that I ought to consider, or wait for?

My reasons for this are to save money - I am giving up a successful IT
career of 24 years in order to study full time for a language degree.
If I can save myself 240 a year and get free calls into the bargain,
that's quite a deal for a poor student!

Many thanks in advance
Slate

Old August 17th 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thus spaketh :
[...]

You need to switch line rental back to BT, you will have to stay with BT
for 3 months or pay your way out.

However let this be a blessing in disguise, it will give you time to
come to your senses as TalkTalk for broadband should be avoided at all
costs.

You will end up out of pocket as if you do do the crazy thing and go for
TalkTalk you will be stuck for 18 months with a useless service or pay
70 like many are to leave, just remember you have been warned!

--
DVD rental:
www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk/dvd

Old August 17th 06, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default TalkTalk broadband, Was: Can I switch from Bulldog to Talk Talk?

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

You need to switch line rental back to BT, you will have to stay with BT
for 3 months or pay your way out.

However let this be a blessing in disguise, it will give you time to
come to your senses as TalkTalk for broadband should be avoided at all
costs.

You will end up out of pocket as if you do do the crazy thing and go for
TalkTalk you will be stuck for 18 months with a useless service or pay
70 like many are to leave, just remember you have been warned!

What is so bad about TalkTalk Broadband?

I am trying to leave Tiscali to move to TalkTalk and have been refused
a MAC code, des pita Tiscali having signed the OFCOM Code of Practice
on Broadband Migration. Would you care to explain your comments about
TalkTalk?

Old August 17th 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

You need to switch line rental back to BT, you will have to stay with BT
for 3 months or pay your way out.

However let this be a blessing in disguise, it will give you time to
come to your senses as TalkTalk for broadband should be avoided at all
costs.

You will end up out of pocket as if you do do the crazy thing and go for
TalkTalk you will be stuck for 18 months with a useless service or pay
70 like many are to leave, just remember you have been warned!

What is so bad about TalkTalk Broadband?

I am trying to leave Tiscali to move to TalkTalk and have been refused
a MAC code, des pita Tiscali having signed the OFCOM Code of Practice
on Broadband Migration. Would you care to explain your comments about
TalkTalk?

I think the question here is why isnt Tiscali giving you a MAC code?

Old August 18th 06, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Tony Polson wrote:

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

You need to switch line rental back to BT, you will have to stay with BT
for 3 months or pay your way out.

However let this be a blessing in disguise, it will give you time to
come to your senses as TalkTalk for broadband should be avoided at all
costs.

You will end up out of pocket as if you do do the crazy thing and go for
TalkTalk you will be stuck for 18 months with a useless service or pay
70 like many are to leave, just remember you have been warned!

What is so bad about TalkTalk Broadband?

Do you believe it's realistic to expect ought for nought ?

I am trying to leave Tiscali to move to TalkTalk

Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire !

and have been refused
a MAC code, des pita Tiscali having signed the OFCOM Code of Practice
on Broadband Migration. Would you care to explain your comments about
TalkTalk?

Try adslguide.org.

Graham

Old August 18th 06, 02:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Karl" wrote:

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
.. .
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

You need to switch line rental back to BT, you will have to stay with BT
for 3 months or pay your way out.

However let this be a blessing in disguise, it will give you time to
come to your senses as TalkTalk for broadband should be avoided at all
costs.

You will end up out of pocket as if you do do the crazy thing and go for
TalkTalk you will be stuck for 18 months with a useless service or pay
70 like many are to leave, just remember you have been warned!

What is so bad about TalkTalk Broadband?

I am trying to leave Tiscali to move to TalkTalk and have been refused
a MAC code, des pita Tiscali having signed the OFCOM Code of Practice
on Broadband Migration. Would you care to explain your comments about
TalkTalk?

I think the question here is why isnt Tiscali giving you a MAC code?

That has already been discussed. I asked for a MAC code so I could
move to another ISP - in this case probably TalkTalk. Tiscali stated
that they are under no obligation to give a MAC code because my line
has been 'LLU unbundled'.

OFCOM have stated that Tiscali are under an obligation to give a MAC
code because Tiscali have voluntarily signed the OFCOM Code of
Practice on Broadband Migration, which means ISPs must give MAC codes
to those who request them. OFCOM are adamant that LLU unbundling is
no excuse for failure to give a MAC code.

OFCOM have contacted Tiscali who still refuse to budge. I have made a
formal complaint against Tiscali to OFCOM and OFCOM have escalated the
issue with Tiscali to senior management level, but Tiscali still won't
play ball.

I have no intention of staying with Tiscali but wondered why "Welcome"
thought TalkTalk were so bad. If "Welcome" is suggesting that
changing from Tiscali to TalkTalk is a bad move, I want to know why.

Old August 18th 06, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thus spaketh Tony Polson:

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

[...]

Constant disconnections around 20 per hour when previously and
afterwards on a proper ISP there was no problem.

Slow downloads, lucky to get 0.5k/s

Heavily shaped traffic, dodgy DNS, dodgy email (though I had my own
domain, so wasn't an issue for me), newsgroup fell over over a year ago
and they can't be bothered to get it up and running again.

CS who are useless, and that is if you aren't cut off before getting to
speak to someone.

TalkTalk is a poor service and why so many people are trying to escape,
many paying the 70 get me out of here fee, because TalkTalk is so bad.

By all means find out for yourself how bad it really is, but do you
really want to spend 18 months on a service that 90% of the time you
can't use and the other 10% you struggle to use? Just keep 70
somewhere safe for when you have had enough.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old August 18th 06, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

Constant disconnections around 20 per hour when previously and
afterwards on a proper ISP there was no problem.

Slow downloads, lucky to get 0.5k/s

Heavily shaped traffic, dodgy DNS, dodgy email (though I had my own
domain, so wasn't an issue for me), newsgroup fell over over a year ago
and they can't be bothered to get it up and running again.

CS who are useless, and that is if you aren't cut off before getting to
speak to someone.

TalkTalk is a poor service and why so many people are trying to escape,
many paying the 70 get me out of here fee, because TalkTalk is so bad.

By all means find out for yourself how bad it really is, but do you
really want to spend 18 months on a service that 90% of the time you
can't use and the other 10% you struggle to use? Just keep 70
somewhere safe for when you have had enough.

So you are basing these wide-ranging criticisms of TalkTalk on the
experience of only *one* TalkTalk customer - yourself?

On the basis of my own experience with Tiscali, I can say they are
crap, but various web sites indicate that thousands of other people
think the same. So I know that my adverse opinion of Tiscali is
shared by many other people.

So how many other people share your opinion of TalkTalk, and on what
basis? Or are you suggesting that I base my decision on your
experience alone?

To me, the main attraction of TalkTalk is not the "free" broadband, it
is the included phone calls. I make a great many calls to the US and
the Caribbean and TalkTalk offers me massive savings on my phone bill.
If the TalkTalk broadband is really as bad as you say, can I choose
TalkTalk for my phone service and another ISP for broadband? Or do I
have to use TalkTalk broadband if I want their telephone package?

Old August 18th 06, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thus spaketh Tony Polson:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

[...]

No, not just one customer, but *many* customers, you see I know more
people than just myself, I also know through work of others who have had
problems (I am a field service engineer, so meet many people, and hear
many a tale of misery with TalkTalk), also you only need to read online
the problems people are having or watch TV and listen to the radio
consumer programmes.

I've dumped my landline and moved to cable broadband now, since being
with Pipex, TalkTalk and then Pipex again.

Now I get free calls to the USA, Australia, UK and other countries (yes
to real phones) by using VoIP works out at 50p/week.

Now by all means go with TalkTalk, but remember you were warned about
how bad they are, at the end of the day if you want to be silly then I'm
not going to stop you, just let me laugh when it all goes wrong.

Old August 18th 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thus spaketh {{{{{Welcome}}}}}:
Thus spaketh Tony Polson:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

[...]

LOL. As I post I'm listening to Radio WM and as they say yet another
customer with connection problems, and trying to get through to CS is a
joke.

Ed Doolan has just said they are getting complaint after complaint with
TalkTalk, they are not delivering the service they promised, though he
did say people have managed to escape without the fee as their service
is not fit for the purpose.

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk