Logitech Dives Into VoIP

Old August 17th 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip

Default Logitech Dives Into VoIP

"Ed" [email protected] wrote in message

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Ivor Jones wrote:

It's a requirement for any serious use, surely..? The
ability to use VoIP from any available phone is basic,
you shouldn't have to use a special one or have a PC on
running specific software.

Poppycock!

SoI have to have a PC on just in case someone wants to phone me..?

How do I integrate Skype into my PABX (6 outside lines, 25+ extensions)
then..?

Ivor

Old August 17th 06, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Ed" [email protected] wrote in message

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Ivor Jones wrote:

It's a requirement for any serious use, surely..? The
ability to use VoIP from any available phone is basic,
you shouldn't have to use a special one or have a PC on
running specific software.

Poppycock!

SoI have to have a PC on just in case someone wants to phone me..?

How do I integrate Skype into my PABX (6 outside lines, 25+ extensions)
then..?

But that isn't a rquirement for most people. Neither is it a
requirement for the service to be classed as a VOIP service.

Are you really such an arrogant ****wit that you're only able to
evaluate the value of a product or service in terms of your own narrow
requirements?

FWIW there's a D-link standalone Skype ATA due to launch in the next
couple of months. So that's your specific requirement catered for.

Out of curiosity, isn't your PABX actually an Asterisk box, i.e., a PC
that needs to be running for you to access your 6 lines and 25+
extensions?

Old August 17th 06, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip

"Andy Lord" wrote in message
oups.com
Ivor Jones wrote:
"Ed" [email protected] wrote in message

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Ivor Jones wrote:

It's a requirement for any serious use, surely..?
The ability to use VoIP from any available phone is
basic, you shouldn't have to use a special one or
have a PC on running specific software.

Poppycock!

SoI have to have a PC on just in case someone wants to
phone me..?

How do I integrate Skype into my PABX (6 outside lines,
25+ extensions) then..?

But that isn't a rquirement for most people. Neither is
it a requirement for the service to be classed as a VOIP
service.

It is a requirement that external devices be usable in order for it to be
of any use to me.

Are you really such an arrogant ****wit that you're only
able to evaluate the value of a product or service in
terms of your own narrow requirements?

Ah, foul language. The last resort of those who know they've lost the
argument and probably the plot. Consider yourself killfiled, don't bother
to reply.

FWIW there's a D-link standalone Skype ATA due to launch
in the next couple of months. So that's your specific
requirement catered for.

Out of curiosity, isn't your PABX actually an Asterisk
box, i.e., a PC that needs to be running for you to
access your 6 lines and 25+ extensions?

No.

Ivor

Old August 17th 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Andy Lord" wrote in message
oups.com
Ivor Jones wrote:
[...]

Did he mean "La-la-la-la-la-la, I'm not listening."?

How does anyone put up with this arrogant, blinkered fool?

Old August 17th 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip

"Ivor Jones" wrote:

It is a requirement that external devices be usable in order for it to be
of any use to me.

and that's the problem, that simply because it isn't usable by you, you
feel it doesn't fall into the category of VoIP. FWIW, I don't care for
Skype, never used it, in fact, but acknowledge it has a place and
even though it currently doesn't fit in with *your* requirements
(and isn't something I need/want), it is extremely popular, and
what's more, *is* a VoIP facility. Stop digging that hole, Ivor.
Old August 18th 06, 02:37 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip

"NoNeedToKnow" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote:

It is a requirement that external devices be usable in
order for it to be of any use to me.

and that's the problem, that simply because it isn't
usable by you, you feel it doesn't fall into the category
of VoIP. FWIW, I don't care for Skype, never used it, in
fact, but acknowledge it has a place and
even though it currently doesn't fit in with *your*
requirements (and isn't something I need/want), it is
extremely popular, and
what's more, *is* a VoIP facility. Stop digging that
hole, Ivor.

I never said it wasn't VoIP. I said it wasn't *usable* VoIP.

Which it isn't to most sensible users.

Ivor

Old August 18th 06, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Al" wrote in message

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:37:09 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

I never said it wasn't VoIP. I said it wasn't *usable*
VoIP.

It is usable to many people. Just because you have a
flakey system making it "unusable" to you that's your
problem.

My system is far from flaky (not flakey). See my other reply.

Ivor

Old August 18th 06, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip

Ivor Jones wrote:
I never said it wasn't VoIP. I said it wasn't *usable* VoIP.

Which it isn't to most sensible users.

For Ivors specific definition of "sensible" and "usable".