Sipgate Security Code

Old August 17th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Sipgate Security Code

I just put some credit into my Sipgate account for the first time and
had to call 10200 from my sip line to obtain a security code to be able
to process the payment.

Can anyone tell me why this should be necessary. What are they trying
to stop?
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Old August 17th 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Les Desser wrote:

I just put some credit into my Sipgate account for the first time and
had to call 10200 from my sip line to obtain a security code to be able
to process the payment.

Can anyone tell me why this should be necessary. What are they trying
to stop?

Credit card fraud, presumably by bots.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:28:59 up 23 days, 23:51, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.18

Old August 17th 06, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In article , alexd Thu, 17 Aug
2006 17:29:19 writes

Les Desser wrote:

I just put some credit into my Sipgate account for the first time and
had to call 10200 from my sip line to obtain a security code to be able
to process the payment.

Can anyone tell me why this should be necessary. What are they trying
to stop?

Credit card fraud, presumably by bots.

Don't quite follow that.

I can see that the need to call would eliminate the possibility of bots
being involved, but I still do not see what type of fraud would be
involved that could not be equally well done by a human.

Old August 18th 06, 01:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Les Desser" wrote in message

[snip]

I can see that the need to call would eliminate the
possibility of bots being involved, but I still do not
see what type of fraud would be involved that could not
be equally well done by a human.

It only ever needs to be done once, the first time you ever credit the
account. Any further payments won't require a code.

Ivor

Old August 18th 06, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In article , Ivor Jones
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:33:18 writes

"Les Desser" wrote in message

[snip]

I can see that the need to call would eliminate the
possibility of bots being involved, but I still do not
see what type of fraud would be involved that could not
be equally well done by a human.

It only ever needs to be done once, the first time you ever credit the
account. Any further payments won't require a code.

I accept that, but just like to understand what fraud (or other) is
being stopped by having this requirement.

Not something I will loose sleep over but just intrigued as to what harm
can be done by anyone crediting an account with some money.
Old August 18th 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Les Desser wrote:

I accept that, but just like to understand what fraud (or other) is
being stopped by having this requirement.

a stupidity check that you are putting the money on the right account ?

Phil

Old August 18th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In article .com,
PhilT Fri, 18 Aug 2006 05:41:58 writes

Les Desser wrote:

I accept that, but just like to understand what fraud (or other) is
being stopped by having this requirement.

a stupidity check that you are putting the money on the right account ?

Possibly, but then I think it would be appropriate to do this on every
top-up. The only cause for confusion I can think of is someone having
several accounts, in which case the confusion could arise every time.