Where can I read a decent intro to VOIP?

Old August 18th 06, 01:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom

Default Where can I read a decent intro to VOIP?

Instead of asking you people lots of really dumb questions, is there a
decent website which you would reccomend where I can learn about VOIP
from scratch.

Altho I'm a bit of a techie I don't really want a ton of theory just for
its own sake.

I want to be able to set up VOIP and then to know what is actually
happening when I tweak the technology to get more out of it.

Thank you.
Old August 18th 06, 02:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom

"Markky" wrote in message

Instead of asking you people lots of really dumb
questions, is there a decent website which you would
reccomend where I can learn about VOIP from scratch.

Altho I'm a bit of a techie I don't really want a ton of
theory just for its own sake.

I want to be able to set up VOIP and then to know what is
actually happening when I tweak the technology to get
more out of it.

Thank you.

www.voxilla.com is worth a look.

Ivor

Old August 18th 06, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Markky" wrote in message

Instead of asking you people lots of really dumb
questions, is there a decent website which you would
reccomend where I can learn about VOIP from scratch.

Altho I'm a bit of a techie I don't really want a ton of
theory just for its own sake.

I want to be able to set up VOIP and then to know what is
actually happening when I tweak the technology to get
more out of it.

Thank you.

www.voxilla.com is worth a look.

Ivor

and the http://www.voip-info.org wiki. Searching on there for "what is
voip" is a good place to start.

cheers,
Paul.
Old August 18th 06, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom

"Markky" wrote in message
Instead of asking you people lots of really dumb questions, is there a
decent website which you would reccomend where I can learn about VOIP
from scratch.

Altho I'm a bit of a techie I don't really want a ton of theory just for
its own sake.

A techie that doesn't know about google?.

Old August 18th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom

In message , Andrew Crane
writes

"Markky" wrote in message
Instead of asking you people lots of really dumb questions, is there a
decent website which you would reccomend where I can learn about VOIP
from scratch.

Altho I'm a bit of a techie I don't really want a ton of theory just for
its own sake.

A techie that doesn't know about google?.

maybe they discovered Clusty first

--
dave @ stejonda
Old August 18th 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom

"Andrew Crane" wrote in message

"Markky" wrote in message
Instead of asking you people lots of really dumb
questions, is there a decent website which you would
reccomend where I can learn about VOIP from scratch.

Altho I'm a bit of a techie I don't really want a ton
of theory just for its own sake.

A techie that doesn't know about google?.

Perhaps he does know about Google, which is why he doesn't use it.

Ivor

Old August 18th 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom

In article ,
Markky wrote:
Instead of asking you people lots of really dumb questions, is there a
decent website which you would reccomend where I can learn about VOIP
from scratch.

Altho I'm a bit of a techie I don't really want a ton of theory just for
its own sake.

I want to be able to set up VOIP and then to know what is actually
happening when I tweak the technology to get more out of it.

You could try a book, rather than a website, but use a website to get
the book ;-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...books&v=glance

Gordon
Old August 20th 06, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom

Markky wrote:

Instead of asking you people lots of really dumb questions, is there a
decent website which you would reccomend where I can learn about VOIP
from scratch.

Altho I'm a bit of a techie I don't really want a ton of theory just for
its own sake.

I want to be able to set up VOIP and then to know what is actually
happening when I tweak the technology to get more out of it.

Thank you.

The easy way is to go google.com, under groups, select uk.telecom.voip
and just read backward through the group's historical posts.
Spend some time reading and follow some of the links
and search a little for additional answers,
you'll be fully knowledged in a few hours.