Netgear WG111 French to English firmware change ??

Old August 18th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Netgear WG111 French to English firmware change ??

Hello, I'm looking to buy a Netgear WG111 USB wifi key BUT I'm living in
France at the moment and can only get the French 'FS' version, I'm moving
back to the UK soon but need the USB key now - so does any know if it's
possible to re-flash a France key with UK firmware i.e more channels (only 2
in France!)

Dave.

Old August 18th 06, 01:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Fri, 18 Aug
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Dave"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Hello, I'm looking to buy a Netgear WG111 USB wifi key BUT I'm living in
France at the moment and can only get the French 'FS' version, I'm moving
back to the UK soon but need the USB key now - so does any know if it's
possible to re-flash a France key with UK firmware i.e more channels (only 2
in France!)

I'm pretty sure you just change the country setting on the device. On every
11b or 11g device I've ever used, you can choose the country.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
"Frobert asked me today if we could buy matching gym clothes
Old August 18th 06, 01:47 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"deKay" wrote in message
[...]

That's what I thought - most of these things have to same 'guts' with the
firmware for the regions around the world...

Dave...

Old August 18th 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Dave wrote in
:

"deKay" wrote in message
Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:57:08 +0200, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof
do uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Dave"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Hello, I'm looking to buy a Netgear WG111 USB wifi key BUT I'm
living in France at the moment and can only get the French 'FS'
version, I'm moving back to the UK soon but need the USB key now -
so does any know if it's possible to re-flash a France key with UK
firmware i.e more channels (only 2 in France!)

I'm pretty sure you just change the country setting on the device.
On every 11b or 11g device I've ever used, you can choose the
country.

The UK version of the WG111 has a country setting that you change in the
driver: Europe (most channels), USA (slightly fewer channels), France
(fewest channels). So certainly you could make a UK version legal in France.
I suppose it's plausible that there could be a version sold in France that
is hard-coded to the few French channels and which can't be changed to the
greater number in the rest of the world. I suggest you buy from a British
mail-order vendor such as www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk if you can.