add voip phone to office pabx

Old August 18th 06, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default add voip phone to office pabx

Hi,

We have a office pabx (7 phones).

If we install a router with VOIP on the office is it possible to add a new
phone to the company pabx?

or at least be able to call the office/office to call the employee without
charge.

We could use a skype system, but would prefer to call via the existing
phones, rather than via computer

Old August 18th 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Simon" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

We have a office pabx (7 phones).

If we install a router with VOIP on the office is it possible to add a new
phone to the company pabx?

or at least be able to call the office/office to call the employee without
charge.

We could use a skype system, but would prefer to call via the existing
phones, rather than via computer

What make of PABX?
OK, 7 extensions, but how many exchange lines?
and are they ISDN or analogue (POTS) lines.

If they are POTS lines, does the switch have any spare capacity, or are you
prepared to lose an exchange line?
If so it could be wired into an ATA instead of the exchange.

The new VoIP line would presumably be accessible by any phone by pressing
the appropriate line-key or access digit(s)

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 19th 06, 01:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Graham" wrote in message ...

"Simon" wrote in message
[...]

I'd put money on that went OTT.

Old August 19th 06, 02:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Nick" wrote in message

[snip]

I'd put money on that went OTT.

I don't understand that..!

Ivor

Old August 19th 06, 02:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Graham" wrote in message

[snip]

If they are POTS lines, does the switch have any spare
capacity, or are you prepared to lose an exchange line?
If so it could be wired into an ATA instead of the
exchange.
The new VoIP line would presumably be accessible by any
phone by pressing the appropriate line-key or access
digit(s)

That's precisely what I do. I have the phone ports of my ATA's connected
to exchange line ports on the PABX. Any extension user can then select
whichever line they want by dialling the appropriate access code. For
example 81 gets the Sipgate Birmingham 0121 number, 82 gets the London 020
number, 83 gets the Gradwell number, 84 gets a BT line, etc.

If you have ISDN, the AVM Fritz!Box range has support for these, but AFAIK
only one POTS/ISDN line is supported.

Ivor