Telewest installs

Old August 20th 06, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Telewest installs

Will Telewest Install their Cable Modems via a basic 1gb switch, or do they
insist it's connected direct to a NIC on a PC?

Thanks

Clive

Old August 20th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Clive" wrote in message
Will Telewest Install their Cable Modems via a basic 1gb switch, or do
they insist it's connected direct to a NIC on a PC?

Thanks

Clive

When I used to work for them (before jumping ship) It was self install. The
wiring required was wired to the point required and the cable modem left for
you to install via Ethernet or USB.

Patchy

Old August 20th 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:47:56 +0100, in uk.telecom.broadband , "Clive"
wrote:

Will Telewest Install their Cable Modems via a basic 1gb switch, or do they
insist it's connected direct to a NIC on a PC?

If they're anything like ntl (which they are of course) they deliver a
modem connected to their inbound coax, and the rest is up to you. The
one thing you can't usefully do is attach it to a switch.

--
Mark McIntyre
Old August 21st 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Clive wrote:
Will Telewest Install their Cable Modems via a basic 1gb switch, or do they
insist it's connected direct to a NIC on a PC?

Clive

It really depends on the engineer. They will at least insist on seeing
it working before they leave. Due to circumstances I have done four
different installs with TW, and the engineers are usually very
accommodating. Bear in the firmware in the cable modem only allows it to
learn one mac address, so you may find it does not work as you expect,
particularly since the switch is unmanaged. My cable modem goes through
two switches before it reaches a router, but it's partitioned off from
the rest of the network on a separate vlan.

HTH

Chris
Old August 21st 06, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Clive wrote:

Will Telewest Install their Cable Modems via a basic 1gb switch, or do they
insist it's connected direct to a NIC on a PC?

Vaguely irrelevant !

You can repatch it after he's gone anyway !

Graham

Old August 21st 06, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Will Telewest Install their Cable Modems via a basic 1gb switch, or do they
insist it's connected direct to a NIC on a PC?

If they're anything like ntl (which they are of course) they deliver a
modem connected to their inbound coax, and the rest is up to you. The
one thing you can't usefully do is attach it to a switch.

Eh ? Why not ?

Graham

Old August 22nd 06, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Chris Hills wrote:
Clive wrote:
Will Telewest Install their Cable Modems via a basic 1gb switch, or do they
insist it's connected direct to a NIC on a PC?

Clive

It really depends on the engineer. They will at least insist on seeing
it working before they leave. Due to circumstances I have done four
different installs with TW, and the engineers are usually very
accommodating. Bear in the firmware in the cable modem only allows it to
learn one mac address, so you may find it does not work as you expect,
particularly since the switch is unmanaged. My cable modem goes through
two switches before it reaches a router, but it's partitioned off from
the rest of the network on a separate vlan.

HTH

Chris

I was with Telewest about 3years ago and had a Motorola CM attached to
a Netgear RP114 router - worked fine. But at the initial installl the
engineer insisted the CM was installed direct onto a PC.

I then had to register th WAN MAC of the RP114 with Telewest. I'm led
to believe that MAC registration is no longer required?

I still have the RP114 and it works fine. Don't know if telewest still
do the Motorola CM's though.

Clive

Old August 22nd 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

Will Telewest Install their Cable Modems via a basic 1gb switch, or do
they
insist it's connected direct to a NIC on a PC?

If they're anything like ntl (which they are of course) they deliver a
modem connected to their inbound coax, and the rest is up to you. The
one thing you can't usefully do is attach it to a switch.

Eh ? Why not ?

Because you only get one IP address from TW.
This means only one thing on the switch will get a valid IP address for the
Internet connection.
That device needs to be a PC or a router to be of use to most people.
Maybe you have a layer three switch (ie. a router)?

Old August 22nd 06, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Will Telewest Install their Cable Modems via a basic 1gb switch, or do they
insist it's connected direct to a NIC on a PC?

If they're anything like ntl (which they are of course) they deliver a
modem connected to their inbound coax, and the rest is up to you.

Correct - although you'll need to have it connected directly to a PC
should you need to raise a support query (call or e-contact) as we
don't currently support home networking.

HTH

Alex

--

Alex Brown
Senior Product Manager, Product Experience
Old August 22nd 06, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 22 Aug 2006 01:05:21 -0700, "Clive"
wrote:

I was with Telewest about 3years ago and had a Motorola CM attached to
a Netgear RP114 router - worked fine. But at the initial installl the
engineer insisted the CM was installed direct onto a PC.

Things have slightly changed since in that the installer now provides
the blueyonder Installer CD and the customer completes the PC
component of the install themselves.

I then had to register th WAN MAC of the RP114 with Telewest. I'm led
to believe that MAC registration is no longer required?

Correct, this requirement was removed when we migrated away from the
old IP provisioning system some time back.

I still have the RP114 and it works fine. Don't know if telewest still
do the Motorola CM's though.

We do, and those from Scientific Atlanta also (on the exTW network).

Cheers

Alex