Calling geographic VOIP from Orange

Old August 20th 06, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Calling geographic VOIP from Orange

We've just been told by someone from Orange that a UK geographic VOIP number
(0117) would not be included in inclusive minutes just as all other
geographic numbers are.

Does anyone know if this person from Orange has got it right? I was
surprised at their answer!

Old August 20th 06, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"elziko" wrote in message
k...
We've just been told by someone from Orange that a UK geographic VOIP
number (0117) would not be included in inclusive minutes just as all other
geographic numbers are.

Does anyone know if this person from Orange has got it right? I was
surprised at their answer!

What I am intrigued to know is, what made you think that they weren't
included, that prompted you to ask Orange the question in the first place?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old August 20th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Graham wrote:
What I am intrigued to know is, what made you think that they weren't
included, that prompted you to ask Orange the question in the first
place?

Since I setup our VOIP phone my girlfriend's mum has stopped calling. Turns
out she's scared that it'll cost her a fortune on her Orange mobile so I
thought I'd confirm that it's just treated as any other geographic number.

Just called Orange again and the person we spoke to was much more helpful.
She said she'd find out and call us back. When she called back her answer
was that no-one knew and they couldn't tell us how much it costed.

Old August 20th 06, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:56:29 GMT, "elziko" wrote:

Graham wrote:
What I am intrigued to know is, what made you think that they weren't
included, that prompted you to ask Orange the question in the first
place?

Since I setup our VOIP phone my girlfriend's mum has stopped calling. Turns
out she's scared that it'll cost her a fortune on her Orange mobile so I
thought I'd confirm that it's just treated as any other geographic number.

It is technophobia. I remember a time when I would tell people of LCR
operators to save money on phone calls. They often used to say ' is it
legal?'. Many people are just frightened of anything new.
What people don't understand they fear.
There can be no just reason why calling a voip phone geographic should
be any different to callng a standard geographic phone.
The whole point of geo voip numbers is so that they can have the same
access status as standard geo landline numbers.

Just called Orange again and the person we spoke to was much more helpful.
She said she'd find out and call us back. When she called back her answer
was that no-one knew and they couldn't tell us how much it costed.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old August 20th 06, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

elziko wrote:
We've just been told by someone from Orange that a UK geographic VOIP number
(0117) would not be included in inclusive minutes just as all other
geographic numbers are.

Does anyone know if this person from Orange has got it right? I was
surprised at their answer!

I call Sipgate and other geographic VOIP numbers from my Orange ED50
account - they come out of my inclusive minutes. Perhaps OCS were
thinking of the BT broadband (055) and such numbers?

--
Nick B.
Old August 20th 06, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

elziko wrote:

We've just been told by someone from Orange that a UK geographic VOIP
number (0117) would not be included in inclusive minutes just as all other
geographic numbers are.

Does anyone know if this person from Orange has got it right? I was
surprised at their answer!

How would Orange know that it's a VoIP number you're calling, in order to
charge you more for it? I presume the person you spoke to has been told to
be paranoid w.r.t. VoIP, as 05n numbers appear to be treated differently
to 01/02 numbers.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
13:27:59 up 26 days, 18:50, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.25, 0.30

Old August 20th 06, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thus spaketh elziko:
We've just been told by someone from Orange that a UK geographic VOIP
number (0117) would not be included in inclusive minutes just as all
other geographic numbers are.

Does anyone know if this person from Orange has got it right? I was
surprised at their answer!

If it's an 01 or 02 number that is being called, then whether it is a BT
number, Cable number or VoIP number makes no difference.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk