access to router settings

Old August 20th 06, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default access to router settings

Can anyone please explain these issues please.

When I need to/want to access my router's configuration pages, sometimes I
can't.

I have a Linksys WAG54G. To get to the configuration screens I have to type
http://192.168.1.1/

Only sometimes that displays a message "The page cannot be displayed"

If i reboot the router, then the same address goes through OK. Why do I need
to do that?

Also, I recently went away for a week and so turned the router off. When i
got back I switched the router on again, but it wouldn't connect. The DSL
light was green, but the Internet light was red. My ISP
help line wanted me to open the router's configusration pages, but I kept
getting the above error message even after powering down a number of times.
It was quite possible to ping the router though. In the end I tried a USB
modem and that connected to the broadband fine, and whilst it was connected
I was then for some reason able to get to my router's settings. Which showed
that everything was back at the default settings - once that was corrected
it was up and running again.

Can anyone please explain

Old August 20th 06, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"JIP" wrote:

Only sometimes that displays a message "The page cannot be displayed"

Can anyone please explain

Do you know if your line has been "regraded" to provide you with an "up
to 8 Mbps" service? I have a strong feeling that the router puts most of
its processing effort into getting the ADSL connection when there's a BT
connection found, and seems to ignore the user interface, but that's a
hunch only, and only you can confirm if you can get a response when
removing the BT line (temporarily).

What do you think of the idea?

It would seem to fit with when a connection to the user interface is
most wanted - ie checking the connection is working (and when in
all probability, it isn't, thus hogging the resources to attempt to
establish a link to the exchange).

Old August 20th 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"JIP" wrote in message
[...]

Various faults/features within Windows XP unfortunately. I have had two
routers in the past few months - different makes. Sometimes the computer
shows the connection is lost. The only way to reset it is to switch the
router off and on again.
You will need to use the short lead supplied with the router and hook it up
the the computer, then all you will need to do is type the same thing and it
will let you in.
There isn't much the ISP can do to repair the many faults in Windows!
It is a very common complaint now.

Old August 20th 06, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 17:38:01 +0100, JIP wrote:

Can anyone please explain these issues please.

When I need to/want to access my router's configuration pages, sometimes I
can't.

I have a Linksys WAG54G. To get to the configuration screens I have to type
http://192.168.1.1/

Only sometimes that displays a message "The page cannot be displayed"

If i reboot the router, then the same address goes through OK. Why do I need
to do that?

Check that your pc is getting a IP from the routers DHCP server( if you
are using DHCP). Should be something like 192.168.1.x ie 2-15 say. If it
shows something in the range 169.x.x.x.x then thats the default windows
setting when it can not get an address.

Dave

Old August 21st 06, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks for the replies - will do relevant checking.