Zoom ADSL X6

Old August 20th 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Zoom ADSL X6

Annyone out there using a Zoom ADSL X6?

In my case I am only able to surf the web if the Advanced Firewall Filtering
is disabled which is probably not a good idea!

Out of the box the "Security Policy Configuration" and "Security Trigger
Configuration" has no policies set up and Firewall Interfaces show that
ppp-0 external is enabled.

THe use of the unit is simply to share three computers to one ADSL service
which has a fixed IP. From one of the PCs I have tested the computer's
exposure to online security threats using the Symantec Security Check - this
returns a green tick, so the hatches appeared to battened down so is there a
need to configure the Advanced Firewall Filtering?

Observation and comment welcomed and always appreciated.

DCB

Old August 20th 06, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Out of the box the "Security Policy Configuration" and "Security Trigger
Configuration" has no policies set up and Firewall Interfaces show that
ppp-0 external is enabled.

Sounds more like it is set to deny everything, which is a sort of defacto
standard for firewall policies.

Dave
Old August 21st 06, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 21:55:32 +0100, G a z . wrote:

In article ,
says...
Annyone out there using a Zoom ADSL X6?

In my case I am only able to surf the web if the Advanced Firewall Filtering
is disabled which is probably not a good idea!

Out of the box the "Security Policy Configuration" and "Security Trigger
Configuration" has no policies set up and Firewall Interfaces show that
ppp-0 external is enabled.

THe use of the unit is simply to share three computers to one ADSL service
which has a fixed IP. From one of the PCs I have tested the computer's
exposure to online security threats using the Symantec Security Check - this
returns a green tick, so the hatches appeared to battened down so is there a
need to configure the Advanced Firewall Filtering?

Observation and comment welcomed and always appreciated.

DCB

I am using one right now and I very pleased with it.

The advanced Firewall settings is for those who wish/know how to set
up specific firewall rules and which ports to allow.

For those thicko's like me, they you just need to ensure NAT is
enabled.

Disable "advanced Firewall filtering".

Enable "Intrusion Detecting"

Since I I got my X6 back in March, nothing has got past the router
inbound as the Zone Alarm logs clear show, nothing listed.

With the exception of the program "outbound log".

Best Wishes,

Gaz.

Yep, that's my settings. My thoughts on the advanced firewall settings would
be to permit specific inbound ports to populate a database such us vehicle
tracking. Other routers I have come across have given examples of how to do
this but not this one. I think the router will be just fine for home use
providing a service to the kids PCs and the old man's PC and a laptop.

Many thanks for the feedback.

BTW which ISP are you using?

DCB