Free dial-up ISP with French access number

Old August 21st 06, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Free dial-up ISP with French access number

I'm heading over to France and need to access my mail etc while I'm away.
My ADSL ISP (PlusNet) doesn't have an access number from France and I was
wondering whether there were any UK ISPs with a free dial-up account which
also have an access number from France.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Old August 21st 06, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Trent SC wrote:

any UK ISPs with a free dial-up account which also have an
access number from France.

little harm in asking ClaraNet as they have offices abroad.
Old August 21st 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In message , Trent
SC writes
I'm heading over to France and need to access my mail etc while I'm away.
My ADSL ISP (PlusNet) doesn't have an access number from France and I was
wondering whether there were any UK ISPs with a free dial-up account which
also have an access number from France.

Just come back from two weeks in France. An increasing number of hotels
- particularly Logis de France - offer free WiFi access. I also found in
Accor hotels that 10 Euros bought 2 hours of WiFi connection usable over
30 days which is enough to handle emails. I find it pays to run your own
SMTP server on the laptop as it is not always easy to determine where
such a server exists for a particular connection point.
--
Richard Anderton

Old August 21st 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

any UK ISPs with a free dial-up account which also have an
access number from France.

little harm in asking ClaraNet as they have offices abroad.

Indeed. One phone call (a geographical London number) and yes, they have a
French access number - here it is, and you can use it on one of our free
dial-up accounts. Would you like me to set it up for you now?

Sorry, I've obviously been with PlusNet too long - that simply amazed me.

Old August 22nd 06, 06:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Trent SC" wrote:

Indeed. One phone call (a geographical London number) and yes, they have a
French access number - here it is, and you can use it on one of our free
dial-up accounts. Would you like me to set it up for you now?

While I applaud that response, there has been some decline in other areas,
such as there no longer being customer services overnight or on Sundays,
and costs for some accounts have been well over the competitors'.

They've apparently moved further towards business service only, and one
posting I saw commented on a problem raised in June, but still not fixed
(finger no longer works on their mail server).

Strange thing was someone from Claranet asked about the support ticket
but has not had the commonsense to get the problem fixed without it!
So all is not 'perfect' there, either.