Leaving NTL BB - what do you keep?

Old August 21st 06, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Leaving NTL BB - what do you keep?

A relation is ditching NTL cable TV/BB in favour of Sky+ and Sky BB.
The phone line has been re-provided by BT (on the original number!!) and
I have just restored the extensions to the BT line and all is well.

At present he still has the cable/BB but the sky dish etc is due for
fitting later this week. He will then ask for Sky BB (his exchange is
Easynet LLU enabled)but I bet it will take some time to have the new
service provided.

At that point he should have got to the end of his notice period on NTL.

May I ask a couple of questions on his behalf?

I assume NTL will collect the TV descrambler and cable BB boxes?

Does the NTL BB keep working until they collect the boxes?

Originally when cable was started, it was agreed by the iondustry (when
there werer alternatives to NTL)that if cable was ceased, NTL would
leave the cable installed and the feed of Terrestrial channels on the cable.
Is this still the case? He has no outside TV aerial and dosen't want one
so will of course only get the one channel at a time off the Sky+ box.
I have told him this but may be able to arrange for him to get
terrestrials off the (now unpaid for) cable.

Does one loose the NTL e-mail address etc? or is there any way to keep
it (if he wants)

Any help would be appreciated so I can smoothe the transition for him!!

Mike

Old August 21st 06, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"m" wrote in message

Snip - tale of out of the frying pan and into the fire, shooting oneself in
the other foot as well etc.

May I ask a couple of questions on his behalf?

I assume NTL will collect the TV descrambler and cable BB boxes?

Probably.

Does the NTL BB keep working until they collect the boxes?

Originally when cable was started, it was agreed by the iondustry (when
there werer alternatives to NTL)that if cable was ceased, NTL would leave
the cable installed and the feed of Terrestrial channels on the cable.
Is this still the case?

No - because the signal is now digital and you won't have a box.

He has no outside TV aerial and dosen't want one so will of course only
get the one channel at a time off the Sky+ box.
I have told him this but may be able to arrange for him to get
terrestrials off the (now unpaid for) cable.

OTOH $ky+ is supposed to let you watch one channel and record the other (or
watch it in another room).

Even if you have conventional $ky, you could fit a twin LNB (if not there
already) and wire back to a cheap FTA receiver for the FTA channels (but not
encryted or FTV).

Does one loose the NTL e-mail address etc? or is there any way to keep it
(if he wants)

NO

Old August 21st 06, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Snip - tale of out of the frying pan and into the fire, shooting oneself in
the other foot as well etc.

Thanks for reply R.

Yeh bit what I thought when he told me. Had forgotten the digital bit,
my last cable experience was in W London with Videotron!!

Looks like an aerial will be needed.

Mike

(will call in at pound shop and get new frying pan - will probably be
needed - goodness knows how difficult the Sky/Easynet LLU will be to get
going)

Old August 21st 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

m wrote:

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Snip - tale of out of the frying pan and into the fire, shooting oneself in
the other foot as well etc.

Thanks for reply R.

Yeh bit what I thought when he told me. Had forgotten the digital bit,
my last cable experience was in W London with Videotron!!

Looks like an aerial will be needed.

I get an ordinary UHF signal out of the ntl cable socket even though I have no
descrambler and never did. It works fine. They may not turn it off.

Graham

Old August 21st 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"m" wrote in message ...
|A relation is ditching NTL cable TV/BB in favour of Sky+ and Sky BB.

Anyone leaving NTL deserves a round of applause.

| I assume NTL will collect the TV descrambler and cable BB boxes?

You would like to think that they would act professionally would you not.
How about this. They will send you a letter saying they have been to collect
them but were unable to get it.
It goes on to say that the equipment is property of NTL and they may charge you
for it if they don't get it back.

You will know when they have been, the cable will be cut, and probably that of
your BT line too.......
You can either wait for the NTL droid with a baseball bat and ask him not to
start cutting things, or, better still,
spoil his fun and cut all the cable away and pull it up from the garden.

In any respects expect no working RF feed after the termination period.

Finally, welcome to only loosing your picture in heavy rain, as opposed to
loosing everything when the local kids decide to use the tin box node as a
goalpost.

Old August 21st 06, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Pier Danone wrote:
"m" wrote in message ...
|A relation is ditching NTL cable TV/BB in favour of Sky+ and Sky BB.

Thanks Pier
--

Just after my last post replying to R Clayton, I realsied that of course
the

I doubt they will remove any cables as there are so many with TV, phone
and BB all around the house.

We shall see!!

Mike

Old August 21st 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:15:27 +0100, "Pier Danone" Pier
wrote:

Anyone leaving NTL deserves a round of applause.

Good, I feel vindicated.

| I assume NTL will collect the TV descrambler and cable BB boxes?

They just today told me I could bin all my analogue boxen.

You would like to think that they would act professionally would you not.
How about this. They will send you a letter saying they have been to collect
them but were unable to get it.
It goes on to say that the equipment is property of NTL and they may charge you
for it if they don't get it back.

You will know when they have been, the cable will be cut, and probably that of
your BT line too.......
You can either wait for the NTL droid with a baseball bat and ask him not to
start cutting things, or, better still,
spoil his fun and cut all the cable away and pull it up from the garden.

I don't think they physically cut anything. However I intend to
because their stupid cable which was mortared into the bottom of the
border at the side of my drive has floated up to the surface over the
years and is a right eyesore what with it's green plastic and mortar.

In any respects expect no working RF feed after the termination period.

Finally, welcome to only loosing your picture in heavy rain, as opposed to
loosing everything when the local kids decide to use the tin box node as a
goalpost.

Hmmm, one Saturday on a Bank Holiday weekend an NTL van drew up at
the green cabinet in our Cul -de-Sac. The NTL droid got out and prised
the cabinet open with a shovel. 5 Minutes later he was gone. 10
minutes later daughter came down from her room inconsolable because
her cable box had died. NTL offered *NO* breakdown service over a
weekend, and *NO* service on the bank holiday, and said their computer
was down so they couldn't contact any of their service "Engineers"
especially the one that pulled our plug out with his shovel (no mobile
phones in this day and age).

We had to jury rig an aerial feed to get any TV in the front room over
the weekend at all.

Wottalotta*******.

:-(

DG