Jetico Personal Firewall

Old August 22nd 06, 08:06 AM posted to bt.broadband.support,bt.internet.users.broadband.technical,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Jetico Personal Firewall

Saw a note in the Sunday Times Doors section on this freebie firewall.
Anybody using it - any problems?
http://www.jetico.com/
Alan

Old August 22nd 06, 09:14 AM posted to bt.broadband.support,bt.internet.users.broadband.technical,uk.telecom.broadband

"Alan" wrote in message
Saw a note in the Sunday Times Doors section on this freebie firewall.
Anybody using it - any problems?
http://www.jetico.com/
Alan

Not heard of that one _but_ in passing did you know that a number of the BTY
BB options can download a free Protection Suite (which obviously includes a
firewall as one of the 'packages'). I found the download and set-up very
simple and the whole suite works very well (although I can't vouch for the
child protection as I don't use that bit).

Mind you if you are one of those people that don't like Symantec (Norton)
products it will not be for you.

Richard

Old August 22nd 06, 09:15 AM posted to bt.broadband.support,bt.internet.users.broadband.technical,uk.telecom.broadband

Saw a note in the Sunday Times Doors section on this freebie firewall.
Anybody using it - any problems?
http://www.jetico.com/

Not tried it, but I read a review a few months ago from what I remember
as being quite an authoritive source, and it performed better than any
free one, and almost all commercial ones !
Old August 22nd 06, 10:55 AM posted to bt.broadband.support,bt.internet.users.broadband.technical,uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 09:14:29 +0100, Richard
wrote:

Not heard of that one _but_ in passing did you know that a number of the
BTY
BB options can download a free Protection Suite (which obviously
includes a
firewall as one of the 'packages'). I found the download and set-up very
simple and the whole suite works very well (although I can't vouch for
the
child protection as I don't use that bit).

I understand the firewall in the BT supplied product is Zonealarm (free)
and the anti-virus is Norton. The child protection option presumably only
works with the BT browser.

It is your choice! I have heard of Jetico but have no knowledge of how it
works. If you connect via a router you don't need a firewall for incoming
attacks, only outgoing ones.

Dave
Old August 22nd 06, 11:28 AM posted to bt.broadband.support,bt.internet.users.broadband.technical,uk.telecom.broadband

I understand the firewall in the BT supplied product is Zonealarm (free)
and the anti-virus is Norton.

No! It's all Norton.

Well, it was when I installed mine.

Old August 22nd 06, 12:42 PM posted to bt.broadband.support,bt.internet.users.broadband.technical,uk.telecom.broadband

news[email protected]
wrote:

Not heard of that one _but_ in passing did you know that a number of the
BTY
BB options can download a free Protection Suite (which obviously
includes a
firewall as one of the 'packages'). I found the download and set-up very
simple and the whole suite works very well (although I can't vouch for
the
child protection as I don't use that bit).

I understand the firewall in the BT supplied product is Zonealarm (free)
and the anti-virus is Norton. The child protection option presumably only
works with the BT browser.

Spyware, antivirus and firewall are all Norton.

Richard

Old August 22nd 06, 12:56 PM posted to bt.broadband.support,bt.internet.users.broadband.technical,uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Not heard of that one _but_ in passing did you know that a number of the
BTY
BB options can download a free Protection Suite (which obviously
includes a
firewall as one of the 'packages'). I found the download and set-up very
simple and the whole suite works very well (although I can't vouch for
the
child protection as I don't use that bit).

I understand the firewall in the BT supplied product is Zonealarm (free)
and the anti-virus is Norton. The child protection option presumably only
works with the BT browser.

Spyware, antivirus and firewall are all Norton.

Richard

Dave,

Bit more

_Maybe_ it is different if you are using version 1 of the BTY BB online
protection _but_ just guessing ........ I downloaded the _new_ version 2.
Imo it is an excellent free package. Previously I was paying for both Norton
AV and Norton PFW (04 packages) so when the subscription renewal came up I
took the plunge. Auto updates seem to happen pretty much daily which is
better than I had with the 04 versions also. I am a very pleased punter
...... did I hear you say ''that makes a change''.

Richard

Old August 22nd 06, 11:54 PM posted to bt.broadband.support,bt.internet.users.broadband.technical,uk.telecom.broadband

Saw a note in the Sunday Times Doors section on this freebie firewall.
Anybody using it - any problems?
http://www.jetico.com/

Not tried it, but I read a review a few months ago from what I remember
as being quite an authoritive source, and it performed better than any
free one, and almost all commercial ones !

This might be use...

http://wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=141626

It would appear there may be a few installer issues at present with the
new v2.x and users are sticking with v1.x

After reading a few more reviews, i`m sticking with ZA :-}

Old August 25th 06, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Colin Wilson wrote:

it performed better than any free one, and almost all commercial ones !

Well, I switched it back to 'allow all through' because I'm going to have
to wade through all their help text to make it work as well as some other
(Kerio) I've used on other PCs. Fortunately using the ADSL router in NAT
mode means a firewall is a useful item rather than essential, for now.