Starter set-up/kit question

Old August 23rd 06, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Starter set-up/kit question

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to voip who has been lurking and reading for sometime. I
have just moved to a new property and had my broadband (Telewest)
installed Monday. I am eager to get set-up and start using voip. My
details/requirements are thus: There are 2 people in the house both of
whom have mobiles, we have no landline and will be using voip for all
calls. The phone will mainly be used for incoming calls but will also
be used to make UK calls. I have an idea of what kit I need/would like
to buy but would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations. I
currently have a PC and the cable modem. Also any recommendations on
service providers would be great.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Victor.

Old August 23rd 06, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ivor Jones wrote:
"paul123" wrote in message
ps.com
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to voip who has been lurking and reading
for sometime. I have just moved to a new property and
had my broadband (Telewest) installed Monday. I am
eager to get set-up and start using voip. My
details/requirements are thus: There are 2 people in
the house both of whom have mobiles, we have no
landline and will be using voip for all calls. The
phone will mainly be used for incoming calls but will
also be used to make UK calls. I have an idea of what
kit I need/would like to buy but would appreciate any
suggestions/recommendations. I currently have a PC and
the cable modem. Also any recommendations on service
providers would be great.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

You'll need to get an ethernet router and then a 2 port
ATA (analogue telephone adaptor). A PAP2 ATA (unlocked)
could be a contender - there's plenty on that in this
group - or a SPA2002......

For providers, there are a host to choose from,
www.sipgate.co.uk offer
free UK numbers and free calls to other users, plus there is no monthly
rental. For calls to ordinary numbers, you need to add a minimum of 10
credit, but this never expires (I've still got some on one of my accounts
after over 18 months..!)

Ivor

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I was looking at whatever cheap router I could get (Ebuyer have one for
20) as I have no use for it other than the voip. I was also
considering the PAP2 or the SPA1001.

For a provider I was looking at sipgate of maybe voipstunt...

Paul - Can I ask why you suggest a 2 port ATA? If it's because there
are two of us (i.e. needing 2 lines/devices) we would be sharing a
single line. Is there another reason I'd need 2 ports that I'm not
aware of?

Thanks again for your help.
Victor.

Old August 24th 06, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ivor Jones wrote:
"paul123" wrote in message
ups.com
wrote:

Paul - Can I ask why you suggest a 2 port ATA? If it's
because there are two of us (i.e. needing 2
lines/devices) we would be sharing a single line. Is
there another reason I'd need 2 ports that I'm not
aware of?

Yes, In case you both want to make a call at the same
time. You would, of course, need 2 handsets (or DECT
sets). If not, a one port ATA would be more "economical".

To put it more directly, 2 ports will effectively give you two independent
lines. A single port device such as the SPA-1001 while it is the same in
that it can accommodate two accounts, each with its own number, only has
one phone socket, so only one line can be in use at once. If you want to
use a DECT cordless phone, a single one is obviously easier than carrying
two about, but if you use wired phones then two independent ones are more
versatile.

Note that if you have a slow uplink (some cable systems only have 128k on
the uplink) then two independent calls will probably not work too well.
256k or higher will not have any problems in this respect IME.

Ivor

Thanks guys - I really appreciate your help on this.

Even though we only need one handset now (we have a DECT) it would be
good to have the option to expand to two handsets in the future if
required. Plus I've read the PAP2 is a little more user friendly for
beginners...

I'll continue lurking until I take delivery and then I'm sure I'll be
back for your expertise!

Thanks again.
Victor