No ADSL connection!

Old August 23rd 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default No ADSL connection!

Back in May I installed a Linksys Wireless Router with built in modem
for a client of mine, subscribing to Virgin.net broadband. From the
word go the link was very intermitent and for the past couple of months
she has had no connection at all. BT have just renewed the cable
running from the pole in the street to the outside of her house because
her telephone line was very noisy. However, there is still no ADSL
connection coming from her main telephone socket! Can anyone advise who
is responsible for fixing this problem, BT or Virgin. I have tested the
Linksys Router at home and it works fine. I have also tried numerous
filters, suggested by Virgin tech support (horrible things)! Thanks in
advance.

Old August 23rd 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"NeedMoreMoney" wrote in message
ups.com...
Back in May I installed a Linksys Wireless Router with built in modem
for a client of mine, subscribing to Virgin.net broadband. From the
word go the link was very intermitent and for the past couple of months
she has had no connection at all. BT have just renewed the cable
running from the pole in the street to the outside of her house because
her telephone line was very noisy. However, there is still no ADSL
connection coming from her main telephone socket! Can anyone advise who
is responsible for fixing this problem, BT or Virgin. I have tested the
Linksys Router at home and it works fine. I have also tried numerous
filters, suggested by Virgin tech support (horrible things)! Thanks in
advance.

The ISP is responsible, BT Wholesale (who the ISP buy the connection from)
won't even talk to the customer.

P.

Old August 23rd 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"NeedMoreMoney" wrote:

Back in May I installed a Linksys Wireless Router with built in modem
for a client of mine, subscribing to Virgin.net broadband. From the
word go the link was very intermitent and for the past couple of months
she has had no connection at all. BT have just renewed the cable
running from the pole in the street to the outside of her house because
her telephone line was very noisy. However, there is still no ADSL
connection coming from her main telephone socket! Can anyone advise who
is responsible for fixing this problem, BT or Virgin. I have tested the
Linksys Router at home and it works fine. I have also tried numerous
filters, suggested by Virgin tech support (horrible things)! Thanks in
advance.

She'll need to contact Virgin and get them to contact BT. This should have been done
as soon as the fault was spotted and not left for a couple of months.

How far is she from the exchange? Is she on MAXdsl? Does the router sync at all and
if so at what speed?

Did the BT guy install a filtered socket, or was he not a BB engineer?

You say she is your "client". I'm assuming you mean you are getting her to pay for
your IT support and skills, or is she a client for your (non-IT) business and you're
just doing her a favour? If it is the former, and you're setting yourself up as an IT
support professional, then surely you should already know the answer to these fairly
basic questions? If you don't then it begs the question as to whether you really
should be offering this sort of service.

I suggest you talk to Virgin support on her behalf and get them to escalate the
problem to BT. Make sure you've got the router attached to the master socket, and
have already tried it in the socket under the face plate, with a good filter on it,
before you contact Virgin. This will ensure that the internal wiring isn't at fault.

If possible make sure the router is attached to the master socket anyway, at all
times, and certainly when you are talking to Virgin support, as they will need to do
some tests before they go to BT.

As a matter of interest have you tried a different router on the line - sometimes it
can help.

Hope this is of help.

--

Andrew Sayers
Old August 23rd 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Andrew Sayers wrote:
"NeedMoreMoney" wrote:

[...]

Although I agree with the underlying thread of your post the fact is
many ISP's will not talk to a third party about one of their customers
problems, hell they won't even talk to the Openreach engineer. So the
call would have to be made by the enduser with the OP priming her with
questions & writing down the answers. Some will accept (albeit
reluctantly in some circumstances) if the call is passed across,
normally after the security questions have been passed but some won't
even allow that...

Old August 23rd 06, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Andrew Sayers wrote in
:

"NeedMoreMoney" wrote:

[...]

Hey, come out, lighten up. Everyone has to learn somewhere. It is a sensible
question to ask, and one that doesn't have the answer that you'd expect:
although it is BT that need to do the investigation, it is the ISP, not BT,
who need to be contacted to arrange it.

I suggest you talk to Virgin support on her behalf and get them to
escalate the problem to BT. Make sure you've got the router attached
to the master socket, and have already tried it in the socket under
the face plate, with a good filter on it, before you contact Virgin.
This will ensure that the internal wiring isn't at fault.

Always assuming that Virgin will talk to you rather than the customer. I had
great problems with Wanadoo who flatly refused to talk to me. On one
occasion he sent them a signed letter of authorisation, then called me in to
investigate. The next day that I was free, he was abroad but his wife was
in. Wanadoo still would not talk to me (and wouldn't even accept the
customer's wife as authorisation to deal with me) because the authorisation
was for 24 hours only and had expired. Idiots.

The problem persisted for several months. On two occasions when they would
talk to me, they told me that they had arranged for a BT broadband engineer
to call; both times, the customer's wife waited in all day and no-one
arrived - because the Wanadoo droid had *lied* to me and had not arranged
anything at all and had made no record of my call. They kept no ongoing
record of the problem: each time, they treated the problem as a fresh one.
Absolute amateurs!

After I heard that an engineer had been booked the second time, I heard
nothing more from my customer for several months, so I assumed that BT must
have fixed it. But the problem still existed. After being called in again
and having a further run-in with Wanadoo who were as inept as usual, the
customer decided to terminate his contract with them because they had never
provided the service that they had been charging him for. Since he was a
lawyer, I imagine he knew Contract Law inside out, so I hope he got all his
money back as well as compensation for what I'd charged him!

I suggested that he go for another ISP. The phone line problem would still
exist, but maybe someone else would be more pro-active in getting BT to sort
it out. I've not heard anything since then, so I don't know whether he has
broadband yet.

If possible make sure the router is attached to the master socket
anyway, at all times, and certainly when you are talking to Virgin
support, as they will need to do some tests before they go to BT.

As a matter of interest have you tried a different router on the line
- sometimes it can help.

In my case, the symptom was no detectable broadband carrier, on either the
customer's Dlink D604 router or my Netgear DG834GT. This was from the only
socket on the line (according to the customer). The customer also reported
intermittent fax performance on the line, so it looks as if the line was
failing for analogue as well as digital.

Old August 23rd 06, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

[...]

She did contact Virgin and it's taking this long to get nowhere fast!
She is roughly the same distance from the exchange as myself and I have
no problems at all. Also it's not MAXdsl. The BT guy didn't install a
new cable right through to her main socket, only to the outside of her
house. Apparently he tested the main socket under the face plate and
also said there was no ADSL! I am at the moment waiting for Virgin to
ring me but not holding out any hope.

I tried another router and had the same result.

Old August 23rd 06, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

NeedMoreMoney wrote:
[...]

When was this????

When the line was installed or when you phoned BT up mistakenly
thinking that they would check the ADSL service