provider recommendations

Old August 24th 06, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default provider recommendations

Having used Skype for some time I'd like to get into "proper" VoIP. I
have a Draytek Vigor 2900VG router with QoS and a pair of voice ports,
so I'm looking for a VoIP provider. I'll primarily be using this for
conference calls when working from home, so the following requirements
are important:

Free calls to UK geographic numbers
Free (or cheap if free isn't possible) calls to Germany and USA
Incoming calls (geographic preferred)
*Reliable*
Post-pay billing preferred rather than buying credits

As I have two ports it would also be useful if I could have two
numbers, but this isn't really that important.

I've looked at Gradwell (I use them for a number of other services)
but they don't seem to do a calls-inclusive package. Also at Demon
(they look expensive) and the cheap ones like sipdiscount. Vonage
could be a possibility, but I've heard there are better packages.

TIA

--
_____ . . |
Carl Warnell ' o/ FORE! . . |
Old August 25th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

www.freetalk.co.uk

--
Snp (Gid Auld Fife)
Cut THE [email protected] To Reply

Old August 26th 06, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Old August 27th 06, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

lok at draytel.org

as it is part of draytel, works very well

OK, I've signed up with them (got GBP2 free credit with the router)
and, as you say, it works fine.

Might also sign up with one of the free lot (sipdiscount, voipbuster,
etc.) so I don't have to worry about the kids racking up phone bills.
Anyone know what their "fair use" definition is? It doesn't seem to
specify on their site or in their T&Cs.

--
_____ . . |
Carl Warnell ' o/ FORE! . . |
Old August 27th 06, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

lok at draytel.org

as it is part of draytel, works very well

OK, I've signed up with them (got GBP2 free credit with the router)
and, as you say, it works fine.

Might also sign up with one of the free lot (sipdiscount, voipbuster,
etc.) so I don't have to worry about the kids racking up phone bills.
Anyone know what their "fair use" definition is? It doesn't seem to
specify on their site or in their T&Cs.

300 mins per week to free numbers - it's at the bottom of nearly every
page on all their websites

QUOTE:
* Max 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7
days. Unused free minutes cannot be taken to the following week(s). If
limit is exceeded, a minimal rate will be charged (as advertised on our
rates page).

Old August 27th 06, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 27 Aug 2006 10:29:04 -0700, "paul123" wrote:

300 mins per week to free numbers - it's at the bottom of nearly every
page on all their websites

LOL! The main bit of the page is in a rounded-corner square, which
just fits on my screen. So I assumed there wasn't any more. But if I
scroll down the 300 mins/week bit is on there!

--
_____ . . |
Carl Warnell ' o/ FORE! . . |
Old August 27th 06, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:25:32 +0100, Carl Warnell
wrote:

On 27 Aug 2006 10:29:04 -0700, "paul123" wrote:

300 mins per week to free numbers - it's at the bottom of nearly every
page on all their websites

LOL! The main bit of the page is in a rounded-corner square, which
just fits on my screen. So I assumed there wasn't any more. But if I
scroll down the 300 mins/week bit is on there!

voip.co.uk : 2/month for free off peak UK calls . 2p/call at peak.
Reliable and good quality. Reliability has to be a factor.
Granted administration leaves something to be desired.
Old August 28th 06, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:21:54 GMT, Brian A
wrote:

voip.co.uk : 2/month for free off peak UK calls . 2p/call at peak.
Reliable and good quality. Reliability has to be a factor.
Granted administration leaves something to be desired.
improvement.

Sounds good. Anyone know if I can configure two SIP providers on a
single port on the Draytek, or if I need to attach two phones to the
back (or one phone and a softphone?)

--
Carl Warnell ' o/ FORE! . . |