Recommendation for a good router, now that PC World no longer sell Netgear DG834G

Old August 24th 06, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Recommendation for a good router, now that PC World no longer sell Netgear DG834G

I see that PC World have recently stopped selling the Netgear DG834G
wireless router.

This is the router that I have always recommended to my customers because
I've found it easy to configure, reliable and with good logging of errors if
anything goes wrong.

What would people recommend as a replacement for the DG834G. Minimum spec
is:

- ADSL (as opposed to cable) - ideally capable of working up to 8 Mbps
- Wireless G, with WPA security; additional speed beyond 54 Mbps is probably
not essential
- logging of errors and startup messages (LCP is coming up, CHAP
authentication success/failure etc), statement of ADSL carrier strength
(attenuation and SNR), ideally with the ability to send a daily log by email
- 4 Ethernet ports
- price around 60-80

In the absence of the DG834G, I bought a Linksys WAG54GS for a customer and
I notice that it has no error logging, so diagnosing of any ADSL connection
failures would be very difficult with this router.

I believe that Dlink routers (eg the G604) don't have logging either.

I know that mail-order companies such as www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk still sell
the DG834G and DG834GT, but I need to be able to buy over the counter,
because I don't want to get into the situation whe

- I have to wait in all day for a courier to deliver to my address

- I have to get the customer to place the order for delivery to their house,
with the problem of trying to guide them through an online site over the
phone or via a slow dial-up line at their house

I looked at some of the routers that PC World now sell, and there were
several Netgear models that I couldn't even find on Netgear's site so I
can't check the exact spec and features - I wouldn't trust the spec as
quoted on PC World's site!

Old August 24th 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Martin Underwood wrote:
I see that PC World have recently stopped selling the Netgear DG834G
wireless router.

I know that mail-order companies such as www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk still sell
the DG834G and DG834GT, but I need to be able to buy over the counter,
because I don't want to get into the situation whe

Comet would appear to sell it still ?

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/category.do?categoryId=784&pageNum=2

Old August 24th 06, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:08:00 +0100, "Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote:

I see that PC World have recently stopped selling the Netgear DG834G
wireless router.

Dabs claim to have them in stock fort 66.57.

Always used to be happy with Dabs but understand they were bought out
by BT earlier this year - so "let the buyer beware"!!!!
Old August 24th 06, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote in message

Yes, but I'd need to order by mail order, with the problems of having to
stay in for the courier to deliver. If only couriers would deliver to
Royal Mail sorting offices when they fail to deliver to the real address,
so I could collect the goods from there at a time that suits me.

Use a supplier that uses Royal Mail to deliver. Plenty do.

That way you cam pop the card into the PO whenever convenient.

CJM

Old August 24th 06, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"CJM" wrote in message

| "Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote in message
|

| Yes, but I'd need to order by mail order, with the problems of having to
| stay in for the courier to deliver. If only couriers would deliver to
| Royal Mail sorting offices when they fail to deliver to the real address,
| so I could collect the goods from there at a time that suits me.
|

| Use a supplier that uses Royal Mail to deliver. Plenty do.
|
| That way you cam pop the card into the PO whenever convenient.
|
| CJM

In fairness I've never had an issue with missing a courier.
Initial City link are fantastic around here (used by www.ebuyer.co.uk) if they
miss you they often come back later or try again the next day.
All couriers have been ok for me to collect and have had opening hours that ****
all over royal mail who never answer the phone or stay open past 13:00 around
here.

Buying from places like PC World may be convenient, but you'll always pay more
and be at the mercy of their bull****! Take a look at ebuyers site, you can read
reviews from real buyers who tell it like it is. It's not like Amazon where they
filter off most of the bad reviews!

Old August 24th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Martin Underwood wrote:
In the absence of the DG834G, I bought a Linksys WAG54GS for a customer and
I notice that it has no error logging, so diagnosing of any ADSL connection
failures would be very difficult with this router.

I believe that Dlink routers (eg the G604) don't have logging either.

The G604T does have logging - both to its own internal (transient) log
and to a remote syslog machine, should you wish.

Of course that's now discontinued too, although I assume the replacement
(DSL-G624T) will have similar functionality.

Geoff
Old August 24th 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Pier Danone wrote in
:

"CJM" wrote in message

"Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote in message

Yes, but I'd need to order by mail order, with the problems of
having to stay in for the courier to deliver. If only couriers
would deliver to Royal Mail sorting offices when they fail to
deliver to the real address, so I could collect the goods from
there at a time that suits me.

Use a supplier that uses Royal Mail to deliver. Plenty do.

That way you cam pop the card into the PO whenever convenient.

I don't think Dabs or BroadbandBuyer use Royal Mail, though I could be
wrong. I agree: it's something to check for.

In fairness I've never had an issue with missing a courier.
Initial City link are fantastic around here (used by
www.ebuyer.co.uk) if they miss you they often come back later or try
again the next day.
All couriers have been ok for me to collect and have had opening
hours that **** all over royal mail who never answer the phone or
stay open past 13:00 around here.

The only time I ordered from Dabs, I waited in all day for the courier (they
could only say that it would "definitely" be some time between 8AM and 5PM)
and then had to go out to an appointment. According to the card that he
left, the courier finally arrived at 7PM, long after the latest predicted
time. Ironically the nearest depot for that courier was only a mile or so
from where I was that evening - if only I'd known, I could have arranged for
him to leave the equipment there for me to collect.

I emailed to arrange delivery for the following day (which meant cancelling
another day's calls to customers) and he didn't turn up at all that day.
However he did arrive at 6:30 AM the day after ;-)

After that experience, I vowed never to rely on couriers again.

Unfortunately many couriers won't deliver to a neighbour, even if the
neighbour signs for the package. Sometimes they will deliver to a local post
office - but they charge extra for doing so.

Buying from places like PC World may be convenient, but you'll always
pay more and be at the mercy of their bull****! Take a look at
ebuyers site, you can read reviews from real buyers who tell it like
it is. It's not like Amazon where they filter off most of the bad
reviews!

I've found that with the order-in-advance discount, PC World are
surprisingly competitive, by the time you've taken into account the delivery
charge for mail order.

Old August 24th 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I can't wait in *any* day. So being able to collect from a PO is invaluable
to me.

If I can get the delivery re-directed to work or to a relative's address I
do so, but many companies wont allow that.

CJM

Old August 24th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

[...]

It may not be fashionable, but the BT Voyager 2500V and their Business Hub
[a 2-wire product] are excellent routers with all the features that you
require together with Post Office delivery.