sky and DSL max

Old August 24th 06, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default sky and DSL max

Are there any known issues about having a sky box connected to the same line
as the adsl router ? (DSL Max actually)

Supposedly Sky ring in to the Sky box in the early hours of teh morning but
do the control signals affect the router ?

--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk

Old August 24th 06, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

John Owens wrote:
: Are there any known issues about having a sky box connected to the same line
: as the adsl router ? (DSL Max actually)

: Supposedly Sky ring in to the Sky box in the early hours of teh morning but
: do the control signals affect the router ?

No Sky NEVER ring in. The STB dials out (to an 0800 number) typically once
each month - at a random time for each STB - to upload PPV data.
Old August 24th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
John Owens wrote:
: Are there any known issues about having a sky box connected to the same

line
: as the adsl router ? (DSL Max actually)

: Supposedly Sky ring in to the Sky box in the early hours of teh morning

but
: do the control signals affect the router ?

No Sky NEVER ring in. The STB dials out (to an 0800 number) typically once
each month - at a random time for each STB - to upload PPV data.

So it won't interfere with the router or BT's assessment of the line then ?
Ta.
John

--
John Owens
www.goodviews.co.uk

Old August 24th 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

John Owens wrote:
:
: No Sky NEVER ring in. The STB dials out (to an 0800 number) typically once
: each month - at a random time for each STB - to upload PPV data.

: So it won't interfere with the router or BT's assessment of the line then ?

Doesn't interfere with my router at all. Of course, being a phone type device,
the Sky STB's phone connection needs a microfilter.
Old August 24th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

?

Doesn't interfere with my router at all. Of course, being a phone type
device,
the Sky STB's phone connection needs a microfilter.

Sky STBs are well known to cause drop outs on adsl lines, whether the cable
is filtered or not.

Gaz

Old August 24th 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Gaz wrote:

: Sky STBs are well known to cause drop outs on adsl lines, whether the cable
: is filtered or not.

A well worn fallacy being presented as fact I see!
Old August 24th 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Gaz wrote:

Sky STBs are well known to cause drop outs on adsl lines, whether the
cable
is filtered or not.

A well worn fallacy being presented as fact I see!

A well worn piece of experience.

- Customer calls me, says has problem with broadband.
- Visit customers house.
- Usb modem unable to keep line sync for very long
- Check all phones are behind filter
- Still unable to sync
- Unplug sky digital (currently behind a filter)
- Problem sorted.

The above has happened at least two or three times to me in the last twelve
months, you can triple that number for the amount of people who havent put
the sky digital line behind the filter.

Gaz

Old August 24th 06, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Gaz wrote:
Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Gaz wrote:

Sky STBs are well known to cause drop outs on adsl lines, whether
the cable
is filtered or not.

A well worn fallacy being presented as fact I see!

A well worn piece of experience.

- Customer calls me, says has problem with broadband.
- Visit customers house.
- Usb modem unable to keep line sync for very long
- Check all phones are behind filter
- Still unable to sync
- Unplug sky digital (currently behind a filter)
- Problem sorted.

The above has happened at least two or three times to me in the last
twelve months, you can triple that number for the amount of people
who havent put the sky digital line behind the filter.

What make of Sky boxes? I'm asking as we had a rash of this problem
around a year or 2 ago, which faded away over a period of time & we
don't see much of that particular one any more (& then tomorrow I'll
have 3, I know I must not tempt fate). Around here (Notts) we appear
to be getting quite a few unfiltered, or badly filtered burglar alarms
(no not Redcare but the dial out ones) or the ever popular RFI
problems which take forever to get to the bottom off, at the present
moment.

Old August 24th 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

kráftéé wrote:
Gaz wrote:
Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Gaz wrote:

[...]

I say last twelve months, but to be fair that could be eighteen or twenty
four months, I just know it happens now and then. I dont keep any note on
brand of sky boxes.....

I have noticed the change to maxdsl causing problems for a few routers......

Gaz

Old August 25th 06, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Gaz" wrote in message ...
Brian McIlwrath wrote:
John Owens wrote:

No Sky NEVER ring in. The STB dials out (to an 0800 number) typically
once
each month - at a random time for each STB - to upload PPV data.

So it won't interfere with the router or BT's assessment of the line
then ?

Doesn't interfere with my router at all. Of course, being a phone type
device,
the Sky STB's phone connection needs a microfilter.

Sky STBs are well known to cause drop outs on adsl lines, whether the
cable is filtered or not.

Gaz

Really! Never had any problem here, Sky digibox & 3com OfficeConnect router.
Regards Mike.