Sky Broadband MAX or MID

Old August 24th 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Sky Broadband MAX or MID

(Apologies if this message appears twice - I sent it yesterday but it
doesn't seem to have appeared).

Trying to choose between the Sky Broadband MID package at 5 per month
and the MAX package at 10 per month. One of the principal
differences is that MAX offers a faster download speed of "UP TO 16Mb"
(compared with up to 8Mb for the Mid package).

The faster speed is my main reason for considering the higher cost
option, but I'm a bit worried about those two little words "UP TO".

Can I know for certain that I will get a significantly faster speed if
I opt for the Max package, or is it dependent on distance from the
exchange etc.

I don't want to shell out the extra 5 per month if I'm not going to
get a better service for the money!

Old August 24th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

yellowmoon wrote:
(Apologies if this message appears twice - I sent it yesterday but it
doesn't seem to have appeared).

Trying to choose between the Sky Broadband MID package at 5 per month
and the MAX package at 10 per month. One of the principal
differences is that MAX offers a faster download speed of "UP TO 16Mb"
(compared with up to 8Mb for the Mid package).

The faster speed is my main reason for considering the higher cost
option, but I'm a bit worried about those two little words "UP TO".

Can I know for certain that I will get a significantly faster speed if
I opt for the Max package, or is it dependent on distance from the
exchange etc.

I don't want to shell out the extra 5 per month if I'm not going to
get a better service for the money!

Unless you live in a flat above the exchange, you arent likely to get
16mb...... They are plenty of sources on google which show the curve between
distance and potential maxdsl speeds

This is one source:
http://adsl.yesyes.info/modules/xoop...x.php?cat_id=2

Not specific to the uk, and not specific to any particular provider.

Gaz

Old August 25th 06, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:39:28 +0100, Gaz wrote:

yellowmoon wrote:
[...]

AFAIK the "max" offering is unlimited download per month.. worth the extra.
Also you never know.. you may get better speeds than 8Mbit :-)
Old August 25th 06, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

yellowmoon wrote:

Trying to choose between the Sky Broadband MID package at 5 per month
and the MAX package at 10 per month.

Lucky you have a choice. Many exchanges have no service except using BT so
it will cost those users extra, I assume (I'm not a Sky customer so it's v.
academic as to what they are offering, for me at least).

Can I know for certain that I will get a significantly faster speed if
I opt for the Max package, or is it dependent on distance from the
exchange etc.

How far from the exchange are you? If you've tried the BT Broadband
tester it will give you some idea of what is to be expected. What do you
get at the moment (assuming you're already using ADSL).

I don't want to shell out the extra 5 per month if I'm not going to
get a better service for the money!

I'm lucky enough to pay just 14.99 and not pay a bean to Sky - of course
it boils down to what you consider good value for money, really.

Old August 25th 06, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:58:43 +0100, Doz wrote:

AFAIK the "max" offering is unlimited download per month..

No. It's "unlimited subject to FUP" - and they won't tell anyone what
the FUP limit is :-( Is it 50GB, 100GB, 200GB? That along with a
dynamic IP address and the *requirement* to use their basic
modem/router rather than something good is why I'm not signing up at
the moment.

Also you never know.. you may get better speeds than 8Mbit :-)

At 4-5km from the exchange (line distance) I probably won't.

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -