Newbie experience on Tesco service

Old August 24th 06, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Newbie experience on Tesco service

The short version... Don't bother ! There are cheaper... much cheaper
options that are very straightforward to set up and use !!!

Now for the longer version...
Not having seriously checked on what voip had to offer, prices and how
it worked in practice, I thought I'd buy a headset from Tesco to give
that a try. Getting it set-up and using it was straightforward so,
having nearly used all the initial credit, I decided to top up online.
Having entered all my details, their web site failed to respond and
checking later showed that my credit had not been updated. Sent a mail
highlighting the problem (unanswered after 6 days) but discovered today
that they had debited 10 from my account four days after this with the
credit still not showing on my account !
Called the helpline this afternoon seeking a refund... Sorry, our
computers are down, I can't access your account, call back at around 17.00.
Did that and after 15 minutes explaining the facts... Sorry, I haven't
got the authority to give you a refund, I'll get a supervisor to call
you back... Oh no, it's not going to be today !

You can draw your own conclusion, myself, I've discovered and signed up
with voipcheap.com, it's straightforward to set up, it works fine, and I
can call abroad for "free" so I guess that Tesco's failure has had some
benefit !

Bernard
Old August 24th 06, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:33:50 +0100, Bernard wrote:

The short version... Don't bother ! There are cheaper... much cheaper
options that are very straightforward to set up and use !!!

If you'd come here first we could have told you that saved you the
bother :-)

[...]

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old August 24th 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Bernard wrote:
The short version... Don't bother ! There are cheaper... much cheaper
options that are very straightforward to set up and use !!!

Bernard

Thanks for the advice,Bernard. You have saved me going down
the same road.
Old August 24th 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

If you'd come here first we could have told you that saved you the
bother :-)

I'll echo that sentiment!

It could have been worse though, you could have given your hard-earned to
that over-hyped-Skype.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old August 25th 06, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"The Invalid" wrote in message

On 24 Aug 2006 23:15:30 +0200, "Graham"
wrote:

If you'd come here first we could have told you that
saved you the bother :-)

I'll echo that sentiment!

It could have been worse though, you could have given
your hard-earned to that over-hyped-Skype.

Really? what's the problem with Skype?

It requires a PC to be on.

It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob
and the credit stays on your account.

So does my credit on Sipgate.

Ivor

Old August 25th 06, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

The Invalid wrote:
On 24 Aug 2006 23:15:30 +0200, "Graham" wrote:

It could have been worse though, you could have given your hard-earned to
that over-hyped-Skype.

Really? what's the problem with Skype?

1) As Ivor says, you need to leave your PC on for it to work.

2) The other main problem is that, due to its P2P nature, your PC is
used to relay other peoples calls - not good if your broadband is a
capped/limited traffic deal. If you then go over your limit, you would
then have to pay for other callers use of your broadband. I,
personally, wouldn't be too chuffed about that, if that happened to
me...... Of course, if you're happy about that, fine.

3) I'm sure someone else'll come up with a 3rd or 4th reason.

OK, it's a personal choice, normally I wouldn't use Skype, but the only
reason I might ever use it would be to call a skype user who didn't
have a phone number that I could call them on. In that case, I'd fire
it up for the one call.

Old August 25th 06, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

The Invalid formulated on Friday :
Really? what's the problem with Skype?
It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob and the credit
stays on your account.

How does that reconcile with the fact that their policy is to steal
ones credit if a chargeable call is not made over a 6 month period?

Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure voip.co.uk's never
expires either.

Old August 25th 06, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Jono avait envoye ceci le 25/08/2006 17:59
The Invalid formulated on Friday :
Really? what's the problem with Skype?
It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob and the credit
stays on your account.

How does that reconcile with the fact that their policy is to steal ones
credit if a chargeable call is not made over a 6 month period?

Sipgate credit never expires. I'm almost sure voip.co.uk's never expires
either.

"Credit in your VoipCheap balance remains valid for calls for 90 days
after your last purchase (unless stated otherwise, see for instance
paybyphone transactions). If you top up your account after or before
credit expires for calls any old credit left in your account will remain
valid as well. If you don?t top up your account, credits can only be
transfered back to you by banktransfer."

For me, the up to 5Hrs worth of free calls I can make per week to a
number of destinations (including foreign) and the rates for uk mobiles
makes up for the 90 days 10 Euros credit. But then again, I'm new to all
this and I can see that there are a few good deals out there !
Old August 27th 06, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

The Invalid wrote:
On 25 Aug 2006 04:12:17 -0700, "paul123" wrote:

The Invalid wrote:
On 24 Aug 2006 23:15:30 +0200, "Graham" wrote:

It could have been worse though, you could have given your hard-earned to
that over-hyped-Skype.

Really? what's the problem with Skype?

1) As Ivor says, you need to leave your PC on for it to work.

Not now

Not now? How do you use Skype without a PC?

Old August 27th 06, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"The Invalid" wrote in message
news

wrote:

If you'd come here first we could have told you
that saved you the bother :-)

I'll echo that sentiment!

It could have been worse though, you could have
given your hard-earned to that over-hyped-Skype.

Really? what's the problem with Skype?

It requires a PC to be on.

Wrong

Ok, it requires a PC to be on most of the time. I believe you can use it
on a PDA, but you can't use it with a normal ATA plugged into a router. Go
on, tell me I'm wrong on that one. But if you do, tell me why and with a
detailed explanation, don't say "wrong" with nothing else. Otherwise I'm
not likely to believe you.

It works fine, much to the annoyance of the techie mob
and the credit stays on your account.

So does my credit on Sipgate.

And ? and ????????

And my credit doesn't expire on Sipgate. What did you think I meant..?

BTW Skype credit can and has been deleted from an account if it's not been
used in a certain time. I know because it happened to me, and is one of
the reasons (apart from above) why I don't use it any more.

Ivor