Orange Livebox disconnects

Old August 24th 06, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Orange Livebox disconnects

Intermittently my Orange Livebox will disconnects itself from the internet
and then reconnect about a minute later.

Sometimes it will happen 2 or 3 times a day. Other times it doesn't happen
for 3 or 4 days.

My internet connection speed (1 Mbps) is fine whilst connected (and fast
too). Also my filters connected correctly so why is it doing this? I was not
aware of the same thing happening with my USB modem!

Tim

Old August 24th 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Tim Rogers wrote:
Intermittently my Orange Livebox will disconnects itself from the internet
and then reconnect about a minute later.

Sometimes it will happen 2 or 3 times a day. Other times it doesn't happen
for 3 or 4 days.

My internet connection speed (1 Mbps) is fine whilst connected (and fast
too). Also my filters connected correctly so why is it doing this? I was not
aware of the same thing happening with my USB modem!

Tim

These sort of intermittent faults are difficult to trace as inevitably
the automated line check from the telephone exchange will pass OK.

Most likely the telephone connection to your local exchange has a break
that literally appears and reappears when the wind blows in the right
direction.

You will need to get an engineer out from BT (via the India call center
- hard work) to check your line. You would be surprised how bad a state
they can get into yet still function.

My line to the telegraph pole had to be replaced recently. The engineer
counted at least five clean breaks yet it was still functioning most of
the time.

Old August 24th 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

allan tracy wrote:
Tim Rogers wrote:
[...]

Right, but so WRONG!!!!!!!

If the problem is with the Orange ADSL then they HAVE to report the
problem to Orange who eventually should arrange for a ADSL trained
Openreach Engineer to turn up & fix the problem. If you report a
problem to BT who then arrange an Openreach engineer to call, they
will only check the phone line & if it's testing ok & is not noisey
then the OP will have a bill to pay.

The OP's problem could be down to anything, including a low SNR or
high loop attenuation & seeing as they have not reported on any noise
on their line it is most probable that it is one of those 2 (or a
combination, which is the most likely) not a intermittent break, no
break scenario.

Old August 24th 06, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

[...]

I'll monitor it over the next few days and make a note if I spot a break in
communication. It's not really a major problem although I did get caught out
a few weeks ago when making a VOIP phone call and got cut off!

Tim

Old August 25th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Tim Rogers wrote:
Intermittently my Orange Livebox will disconnects itself from the internet
and then reconnect about a minute later.

Sometimes it will happen 2 or 3 times a day. Other times it doesn't happen
for 3 or 4 days.

My internet connection speed (1 Mbps) is fine whilst connected (and fast
too). Also my filters connected correctly so why is it doing this? I was
not
aware of the same thing happening with my USB modem!

Tim

To isolate any other issues, move the livebox to the master socket, take off
the faceplate and connect the router directly to the telephone socket in the
wall. See if the same problem happens......
Keep an eye out for your sky digital stb, are you sure that is behind a
filter???

Gaz