Asterisk and voicemail permission problem

Old August 25th 06, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Asterisk and voicemail permission problem

Hello all,

Maybe some of you are Asterisk experts and can help me with my problem.
I'm a Linux newbie but I've managed to install Fedora Core 5 on a Via EPIA
EN15000 board.

I've compiled Asterisk (version 1.2.10) succesfully and I'm running Asterisk
with user asterisk and group asterisk. If I start asterisk with
asterisk -vvvvvvvvvvgc then all is well, no problems are reported.

But I thing is driving me crazy. Every time a new voicemail is created in
the /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/101/INBOX the asterisk group does
not have read/execute permissions. Only the user asterisk does. The problem
then is that ARI (Asterisk Recording Interface = Web interface for reading
voicemail messages) cannot read the voicemail. BTW, apache user is added to
the asterisk group. However because the asterisk group does not have
read/exec permissions I still can't see them in ARI.

If I execute the following commands:
chown --recursive asterisk:asterisk /var/spool/asterisk
chmod --recursive u=rwX,g=rX,o= /var/spool/asterisk

Then all is well. In ARI I see the voicemails. But a new voicemail is again
created without group permissions (msg0000 is old; msg0001 is new):
-rwxr-x--- 1 asterisk asterisk 23793 Aug 25 16:09 msg0000.gsm
-rw-r----- 1 asterisk asterisk 246 Aug 25 16:09 msg0000.txt
-rwxr-x--- 1 asterisk asterisk 230764 Aug 25 16:09 msg0000.wav
-rwxr-x--- 1 asterisk asterisk 23460 Aug 25 16:09 msg0000.WAV
-rwx------ 1 asterisk asterisk 7755 Aug 25 16:44 msg0001.gsm
-rw------- 1 asterisk asterisk 245 Aug 25 16:44 msg0001.txt
-rwx------ 1 asterisk asterisk 75244 Aug 25 16:44 msg0001.wav
-rwx------ 1 asterisk asterisk 7730 Aug 25 16:44 msg0001.WAV

As you can see, msg0001 has no r and x permissions for the group asterisk.
Now how can I resolve this?

Hope someone has an answer for me!

Thanks in advance!
With regards,