Solwise SAR-715: Port Forwarding

Old August 25th 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Solwise SAR-715: Port Forwarding

Is it me, or is there no way to forward a *range* of ports on this router ?

Solwise CS say you can, yet keep referring me to the manual on how to do it.
Unfortunately I'm not at home when their CS dept is open, so I can't talk
them through what I (don't) see.

I can find no mention of it, nor by navigating the set up menus ?

--
Mark
Old August 25th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Mark Carver
writes
Is it me, or is there no way to forward a *range* of ports on this router ?

Solwise CS say you can, yet keep referring me to the manual on how to do it.
Unfortunately I'm not at home when their CS dept is open, so I can't talk
them through what I (don't) see.

I can find no mention of it, nor by navigating the set up menus ?

I've got the manual here and it's still not that clear. Manual says Port
Forwarding - see Advanced Configuration - Security . . . then, intuitive
leap Security Interfaces - Advanced NAT Configuration - Add Reserved
Mapping? Does that do anything for you?

I'm tempted to junk mine, just set up someone using a Sweex (of all
things), 19quid and it all seems to be there including really useful stats,
compared with er none on the solwise brick.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Old August 25th 06, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

fred wrote:
In article , Mark Carver
writes
Is it me, or is there no way to forward a *range* of ports on this router ?

Solwise CS say you can, yet keep referring me to the manual on how to do it.
Unfortunately I'm not at home when their CS dept is open, so I can't talk
them through what I (don't) see.

I can find no mention of it, nor by navigating the set up menus ?

I've got the manual here and it's still not that clear. Manual says Port
Forwarding - see Advanced Configuration - Security . . . then, intuitive
leap Security Interfaces - Advanced NAT Configuration - Add Reserved
Mapping? Does that do anything for you?

That's it, but you can only seem to enter a single port number, not a range.

I'm tempted to junk mine, just set up someone using a Sweex (of all
things), 19quid and it all seems to be there including really useful stats,
compared with er none on the solwise brick.

I've had three years of trouble free use from mine, but it's rather old
fashioned by today's standards.

My lads have got themselves a network adaptor for their Sony PS2. They tell
me they can't get games to work, yet the unit's own diagnostic checks
indicate it can 'see' the net OK. What I really want to do is DMZ the PS2's
IP address to the outside world, bypassing the NAT firewall etc. I gather
from Googling that different games require different ports to be opened. As
it's not a PC I see no harm in exposing it to the net ?
However entering Ports 1 to 65535 one at a time might take a while !

--
Mark
Old August 25th 06, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Mark Carver
writes
fred wrote:
In article , Mark Carver
writes
[...]

Maybe time for an upgrade, they are sooo cheap these days.
Old August 26th 06, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Is it me, or is there no way to forward a *range* of ports on this

router ?

Solwise CS say you can, yet keep referring me to the manual on how

to do it.
Unfortunately I'm not at home when their CS dept is open, so I can't

talk
them through what I (don't) see.

I can find no mention of it, nor by navigating the set up menus ?

--
Mark

Mark

I used to use the following commands through a telnet session to
improve bittorrent.
Once you've logged in there is command line help.
-----------------
firewall add policy ext_int external-internal
firewall add portfilter portfil_bt ext_int tcp 6881 6899 both
nat add resvmap bt1 interfacename ppp-0 192.168.7.2 tcp 6881
nat add resvmap bt2 interfacename ppp-0 192.168.7.2 tcp 6882
nat add resvmap bt3 interfacename ppp-0 192.168.7.2 tcp 6883
nat add resvmap bt4 interfacename ppp-0 192.168.7.2 tcp 6884
nat add resvmap bt5 interfacename ppp-0 192.168.7.2 tcp 6885
nat add resvmap bt6 interfacename ppp-0 192.168.7.2 tcp 6886
nat add resvmap bt7 interfacename ppp-0 192.168.7.2 tcp 6887
nat add resvmap bt8 interfacename ppp-0 192.168.7.2 tcp 6888
nat add resvmap bt9 interfacename ppp-0 192.168.7.2 tcp 6889

------------------

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old August 27th 06, 08:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Eric Parker wrote:
[...]

Thanks Eric,

I did actually find a neat little program that allows a Telnet interface to
input port ranges for mapping,

http://www.ukbonkers.karoo.net/

...but entering a large (10) port span, simply clogs up the router, and it
still has to input one by one. Again to input port forwarding for all 65000
ports would take forever, though I suspect it would fill up the router's
buffer after a hundred or so ?

Back to the problem that prompted all of this, what ports do I actually need
open for a PS2 to work ? I can't find any conclusive answers on Google. Do
I need to open any outgoing ports at all ?

--
Mark
Old August 28th 06, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

fred wrote:
In article , Mark Carver
writes
Is it me, or is there no way to forward a *range* of ports on this router ?

Solwise CS say you can, yet keep referring me to the manual on how to do it.
Unfortunately I'm not at home when their CS dept is open, so I can't talk
them through what I (don't) see.

I can find no mention of it, nor by navigating the set up menus ?

I've got the manual here and it's still not that clear. Manual says Port
Forwarding - see Advanced Configuration - Security . . . then, intuitive
leap Security Interfaces - Advanced NAT Configuration - Add Reserved
Mapping? Does that do anything for you?

After a lot of Googling, I stumbled across a passing remark left by an
SAR715 user in a forum. To forward all ports to a specific IP on the LAN
side, you do indeed go to Reserved Mapping, but where it asks to enter
'Transport Type', you select 'All' from the pop up list.

PS2 now working properly !

--
Mark