Sky Broadband and VPN

Old August 25th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Sky Broadband and VPN

I've been contemplating switching from Nildram to Sky for BB, I was thinking
of the Mid package (I can get only about 5Mb considering my distance from
the exchange) I went as far as placing an order and then cancelling because
Sky told me they do not/will not support VPN. I realise that this stance is
a different in nature to whether or not VPN will work via their router
(which I understand is a DG834, the same router as I have now). Is anyone
aware if VPN is blocked on the Sky network, I have tried calling the Sky
helpdesk, but in truth, it's a waste of time, there's nothing helpful, or
for that matter, technical, about them.
Paul

Old August 25th 06, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 20:49:05 +0100, "Paul Richards"
wrote:

I've been contemplating switching from Nildram to Sky for BB, I was thinking
of the Mid package (I can get only about 5Mb considering my distance from
the exchange) I went as far as placing an order and then cancelling because
Sky told me they do not/will not support VPN. I realise that this stance is

I was looking at the 10pm one. But, not happy about the lack of a
published limit under their FUP - the usual "unlimited" lies :-(

a different in nature to whether or not VPN will work via their router
(which I understand is a DG834, the same router as I have now). Is anyone
aware if VPN is blocked on the Sky network, I have tried calling the Sky

Sorry, no, I have not called them since they e-mailed me to tell me to
sign-up quickly to "stay at the front of the queue" ;-)

As soon as I saw that they *required* you to use their modem/router I
decided against them. When running VPN, I want it at the network
appliance level, e.g. a Vigor 2600VG or 2800VG - built-in VPN servers
rather than pass-through, without interference by 3rd party kit or
B$kyB controlling the firmware updates, passwords, configuration and
1st layer security.

From what I've seen on forums, via Google searches, there is no
definite information about either port blocking or traffic shaping.

helpdesk, but in truth, it's a waste of time, there's nothing helpful, or
for that matter, technical, about them.

What's the French for "quelle surprise"? ;-)

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -
Old August 26th 06, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Stuart,
Thanks for the info, it really just confirms what I already knew I guess. As
you say, quelle surprise!
regards
Paul

Old August 27th 06, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Stuart Millington wrote:

As soon as I saw that they *required* you to use their modem/router I
decided against them. When running VPN, I want it at the network
appliance level, e.g. a Vigor 2600VG or 2800VG - built-in VPN servers
rather than pass-through, without interference by 3rd party kit or
B$kyB controlling the firmware updates, passwords, configuration and
1st layer security.

I suspect that won't be the case. Their picture shows what looks to be a Sky
badged Netgear 834. I suspect that they say you must use that, for ease of
telephone support. It's possible I suppose that they have reflashed the
Netgear to 'modify' it, but I doubt it, time will tell :-)

As far as the technical specs, well as it's supplied on Easynet's platform,
perhaps it will mirror UK Online's LLU service ?

http://support.ukonline.net/support_...nlinebroadband

--
Mark
Old August 29th 06, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Paul Richards wrote:
I've been contemplating switching from Nildram to Sky for BB, I was thinking
of the Mid package (I can get only about 5Mb considering my distance from
the exchange) I went as far as placing an order and then cancelling because
Sky told me they do not/will not support VPN. I realise that this stance is
a different in nature to whether or not VPN will work via their router
(which I understand is a DG834, the same router as I have now). Is anyone
aware if VPN is blocked on the Sky network, I have tried calling the Sky
helpdesk, but in truth, it's a waste of time, there's nothing helpful, or
for that matter, technical, about them.
Paul

I have the Sky 'mid' package and can connect to our office VPN without
any issues (using Windows/XP built-in VPN client).

Andrew