pipex

Old August 26th 06, 07:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default pipex

"The Hoff" aside (groan), how reliable is pipex?
Looking at their max deal for broadband and phone calls

Old August 26th 06, 08:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Jewlssss wrote:
"The Hoff" aside (groan), how reliable is pipex?
Looking at their max deal for broadband and phone calls

Pipex have gone down the crapper IMHO.

I left them because they just couldn't get their act together rolling
out 8 meg (Have they managed that yet?)

Still waiting for my last few invoices from them to send to my
accountant. I couldn't download them myself from 'My Pipex' as it was
knackered for months. Looks like it's broken again too.

IME, they don't reply to emails to their customer service.

Tried phoning them a few times over the last few days to ask if they'd
posted my invoices out yet.. Their IVR was knackered or the queues were
too long, and after 5 or 6 failed calls I just gave up trying to get
through to them.

They seem to be repeating this over at 123-Reg, where they've had
problems with their mail filtering service. This is 10 a year on top of
the 550 I pay them for a dedicated server; it's was broken for a month.

Spent around 15 in calls to their 50ppm support line chasing their
cock-up, and sent a fax later asking what was happening. No callback, no
apology, no offer to refund any money for a month without service.

Avoid Pipex like the plague.. Their money appears to be going on telly
advertising rather than providing a quality service.
Old August 26th 06, 08:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Jewlssss" wrote in message
"The Hoff" aside (groan), how reliable is pipex?
Looking at their max deal for broadband and phone calls

Avoid like the pelage!

I left Pipex to go to BT a few weeks ago. Much better service...

Old August 26th 06, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Fatboy" wrote in message
"Jewlssss" wrote in message
"The Hoff" aside (groan), how reliable is pipex?
Looking at their max deal for broadband and phone calls

Avoid like the pelage!

I left Pipex to go to BT a few weeks ago. Much better service...

Well, to offer a different view, and I can only speak as I find, I'm now in
my third year with Pipex. In my experience, it's like the electricity
supply - it's always there and it works fine. The only 'glitch' I can
remember is the non-availability of "My Pipex" for a while, and that was
only partial - SOME functions were available, but not all. If I hadn't
wanted to change the alias for a friend who had just signed up with them I
wouldn't have known.

If the service continues to be as fast and reliable as it has been, I won't
be moving away any time soon.

Old August 26th 06, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 08:08:29 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
Simon Dobson randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

Pipex have gone down the crapper IMHO.

Avoid Pipex like the plague.. Their money appears to be going on telly
advertising rather than providing a quality service.

Their customer service always was crap. I was with them for about 4
years, and whenever I needed to get through to their helpdesk, it
often took fifteen minutes to get through if I was lucky. If not, I'd
have to go through the whole recorded message for about five minutes
before being dumped. E-mails took about 5 days to be answered with a
generic message, and their website was always out-of-date.

Their connection was, however, usually good and stable.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Old August 26th 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 08:25:49 +0100, "Fatboy" wrote:

"Jewlssss" wrote in message
"The Hoff" aside (groan), how reliable is pipex?
Looking at their max deal for broadband and phone calls

Avoid like the pelage!

I left Pipex to go to BT a few weeks ago. Much better service...

Sense and senseability have gone out the window here. You have **only** had a
few weeks service from BT, you an't seen nothing yet; come back in a years
time and tell us its been a lot better for you and only then will we believe
you.

DCB

Old August 26th 06, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hugo Nebula wrote:
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 08:08:29 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named
Simon Dobson randomly hit the
keyboard and produced:

Pipex have gone down the crapper IMHO.

Avoid Pipex like the plague.. Their money appears to be going on telly
advertising rather than providing a quality service.

--

A little bird told me the following. I however have no idea if it is true.

Their customer service software was recently replaced
three years in development two weeks in testing
much worse than old system
double billls customers
my pipex not working
sends automated emails for unwanted disconnection to BT
customer service queues at least twice as long as before

however they are IMHO still not as bad as BT or plusnet
BT do horrible things to smtp for their business customers and are
unable/unwilling to answer a simple question like how do i configure an
exchange server to use your smtp for outgoing emails
BTconnect have an email set up portal which has onl actually started
allowing one to use it.
BT charge customers for wrongly diagnosing their own managed router
being faulty
BT send out engineers to replace it who take 3 hours to do a simple
config and are totlally baffled by a watchguard firewall .
HTH phil

Old August 26th 06, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Mike Faithfull wrote:
Well, to offer a different view, and I can only speak as I find, I'm now in
my third year with Pipex. In my experience, it's like the electricity
supply - it's always there and it works fine.

But if your electricity went off, you'd probably find the electricity
company were able to fix it.

Like most companies nowadays, if everything goes well you're laughing.
If things don't that's when the fun starts. Pulling money out to speak
to them, waiting on hold and waiting an age for them to fix it. This is
where Pipex fail miserably.

If the service continues to be as fast and reliable as it has been, I won't
be moving away any time soon.

That was the other reason I left them; they started port throttling
which got on my wick.

Pleased you're happy with them though.
Old August 26th 06, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:21:08 +0100, "Mike Faithfull"
wrote:

"Fatboy" wrote in message
"Jewlssss" wrote in message
"The Hoff" aside (groan), how reliable is pipex?
Looking at their max deal for broadband and phone calls

Avoid like the pelage!

I left Pipex to go to BT a few weeks ago. Much better service...

Well, to offer a different view, and I can only speak as I find, I'm now in
my third year with Pipex. In my experience, it's like the electricity
supply - it's always there and it works fine. The only 'glitch' I can
remember is the non-availability of "My Pipex" for a while, and that was
only partial - SOME functions were available, but not all. If I hadn't
wanted to change the alias for a friend who had just signed up with them I
wouldn't have known.

If the service continues to be as fast and reliable as it has been, I won't
be moving away any time soon.

I too have been a pipex customer for 3 years and never had any
connection problems. Their telephone response has never been any
worse than others when talking to sales or accounts (never more than
15 to 20 minutes, usually 5 to 10). I've never had to use their tech
support so can't say what the response times are like.

They did go 3 months without collecting my direct debits and did send
emails threatening to cut me off for non-payment! They also promised
upgrade to 8 mb would be available 'next month' every month since
March. In the end I rang their sales number 2 weeks ago and got
upgraded and now pay 22 a month for 8 meg including free phone calls
24/7. I won't be leaving anytime soon.....

Old August 26th 06, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thus spaketh Simon Dobson:
Mike Faithfull wrote:
Well, to offer a different view, and I can only speak as I find, I'm
now in my third year with Pipex. In my experience, it's like the
electricity supply - it's always there and it works fine.

But if your electricity went off, you'd probably find the electricity
company were able to fix it.

Like most companies nowadays, if everything goes well you're laughing.
If things don't that's when the fun starts. Pulling money out to speak
to them, waiting on hold and waiting an age for them to fix it. This
is where Pipex fail miserably.

If the service continues to be as fast and reliable as it has been,
I won't be moving away any time soon.

That was the other reason I left them; they started port throttling
which got on my wick.

Pleased you're happy with them though.

Use 1899 to call Pipex and pay 3p for the entrie call, no matter how
long you are on hold for, or if inlucded in a calls package use that.

But you will have to call the real number (01707 299 509) and not the
0845/0870-rip-me-off number.

Pipex was great and extremely reliable when I was with them, one of the
best ISPs around, there support always sucked, but you never needed to
use them anyway unless your line was activated early and you wanted to
know your details to up the router/modem you had.

When BT changed the way they charged ISPs, most ISPs that were once
reliable and great had to change to capping/shaping and became ropey. I
could see what was about to come so jumped.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk