which ATA?

Old August 26th 06, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default which ATA?

I've spent a lot of time reading the various threads on this forum as I
want to start using VOIP.
I currently have a Buffalo high power router and two sets of cordless
DECT phones for 2 BT landlines.
I understand that I need to buy an ATA to be able to use VOIP through
my router.
From what I have been reading , my choice is between two or three

models:
The Fritz box that Ivor often talks about, but as I already have a
router this might not be the one for me.
Other options seem to be the SPA 1001 but as I have two sets of DECT
phones I don't think I can use both lines at the same time, correct?
I am heading towards either the SPA-3000 or the SPA-3012, can anyone
advise on which model out of these two would best suit my needs please?
I currently have two BT landlines, so of course I'm paying for two sets
of rental, one of which I hope to cancel once I know that VOIP will
work well for me. Will I still need to keep one landline for BT
Broadband usage?
I also have a Linksys Skype phone , will I still be able to use this
with my new VOIP system?
Also, can I use the same DECT handset for VOIP and landline calls?
Thanks to anyone who is able to help, I am almost there but would just
like help with the last stage of purchasing the hardware.
Thanks, Hana

Old August 26th 06, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Hana wrote:
I've spent a lot of time reading the various threads on this forum as I
want to start using VOIP.
I currently have a Buffalo high power router and two sets of cordless
DECT phones for 2 BT landlines.
I understand that I need to buy an ATA to be able to use VOIP through
my router.
From what I have been reading , my choice is between two or three

[...]

You''re right the Spa1001 can only have one set of DECTs plugged into.

Likewise the SPA3000/12 only allows one set to be plugged in, though
DOES allow you to accept incoming/outgoing landline calls as well as
voip.

A SPA2002 or a PAP2(unlocked) would allow 2 DECT sets but are just for
voip and don't connect to your landline.

Here's a link, recently posted by Jono, to a Fritzbox ATA that might
fit the bill:
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...ducts_id=7 83
In the description there it also says
"- ADSL router with DHCP server and IP masquerading/Network Address
Translation", but I think you can turn off the ADSL router........
Perhaps someone else here could confirm that.

Old August 26th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

paul123 wrote:
|| Here's a link, recently posted by Jono, to a Fritzbox ATA that might
|| fit the bill:
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...ducts_id=7 83
|| In the description there it also says
|| "- ADSL router with DHCP server and IP masquerading/Network Address
|| Translation", but I think you can turn off the ADSL router........
|| Perhaps someone else here could confirm that.

I'm hoping the bit "-ADSL Router with DHCP" is a mistake........elsewhere it
states "Simply connect FRITZ!Box Fon ata to your existing router or ADSL
modem"

Old August 26th 06, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Jono wrote:
paul123 wrote:
|| Here's a link, recently posted by Jono, to a Fritzbox ATA that might
|| fit the bill:
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...ducts_id=7 83
|| In the description there it also says
|| "- ADSL router with DHCP server and IP masquerading/Network Address
|| Translation", but I think you can turn off the ADSL router........
|| Perhaps someone else here could confirm that.

I'm hoping the bit "-ADSL Router with DHCP" is a mistake........elsewhere it
states "Simply connect FRITZ!Box Fon ata to your existing router or ADSL
modem"

Yes, that's what's stated on the avm site he
http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZB...a/index.html##
But if you then click on the "details" tab and it states:

Old August 26th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

paul123 wrote:
|| Jono wrote:
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...ducts_id=7 83
||| I'm hoping the bit "-ADSL Router with DHCP" is a
||| mistake........elsewhere it states "Simply connect FRITZ!Box Fon
||| ata to your existing router or ADSL modem"
|| Yes, that's what's stated on the avm site he
|| http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZB...ata/index.html
|| But if you then click on the "details" tab and it states:
|| "ADSL router with DHCP server and IP masquerading/Network Address
|| Translation"

Yes, I didn't mean I was hoping you'd made a mistake! On the detailed
pictures, it shows a WAN port also, yet it is not mentioned.

Old August 26th 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Jono wrote:
paul123 wrote:
|| Jono wrote:
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...ducts_id=7 83
||| I'm hoping the bit "-ADSL Router with DHCP" is a
||| mistake........elsewhere it states "Simply connect FRITZ!Box Fon
||| ata to your existing router or ADSL modem"
|| Yes, that's what's stated on the avm site he
|| http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZB...ata/index.html
|| But if you then click on the "details" tab and it states:
|| "ADSL router with DHCP server and IP masquerading/Network Address
|| Translation"

Yes, I didn't mean I was hoping you'd made a mistake! On the detailed
pictures, it shows a WAN port also, yet it is not mentioned.

No wurries Jono. I had understood your "hope it's a mistake" comment in
light of your comment on the other thread where you said you might get
one. I agree it looks interesting - especially if it could be used like
the SPA3000 for incoming PSTN and be forwarded to asterisk. Could be
tempted myself if that's the case....

Old August 27th 06, 07:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

paul123 wrote:
Jono wrote:
paul123 wrote:
|| Jono wrote:
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...ducts_id=7 83

How do these ATA's work when you have an ADSL connection that uses PPP
over ATM which is the only type of connection I've seen in the UK. My
brother has to "dial-up" before the ADSL connection is active.
Old August 27th 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 26 Aug 2006 10:34:53 -0700, "paul123" wrote:

Jono wrote:
paul123 wrote:
|| Here's a link, recently posted by Jono, to a Fritzbox ATA that might
|| fit the bill:
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...ducts_id=7 83
|| In the description there it also says
|| "- ADSL router with DHCP server and IP masquerading/Network Address
|| Translation", but I think you can turn off the ADSL router........
|| Perhaps someone else here could confirm that.

I'm hoping the bit "-ADSL Router with DHCP" is a mistake........elsewhere it
states "Simply connect FRITZ!Box Fon ata to your existing router or ADSL
modem"

Yes, that's what's stated on the avm site he
http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZB...a/index.html##
But if you then click on the "details" tab and it states:
"ADSL router with DHCP server and IP masquerading/Network Address
Translation"

I assume that you have similar concerns to me if I have understood
correctly.
It looks like the Fritzbox can be inserted between a modem and a
router. Doesn't that mean double NAT though for devices connecting to
the router? That can sometimes cause problems. From an earlier post it
seems that it isn't possible to operate the Fritzbox directly from a
cable modem (??). So I am a bit confused here.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old August 27th 06, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Brian A expressed precisely :

Yes, that's what's stated on the avm site he
http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZB...a/index.html##
But if you then click on the "details" tab and it states:
"ADSL router with DHCP server and IP masquerading/Network Address
Translation"

I assume that you have similar concerns to me if I have understood
correctly.
It looks like the Fritzbox can be inserted between a modem and a
router. Doesn't that mean double NAT though for devices connecting to
the router? That can sometimes cause problems. From an earlier post it
seems that it isn't possible to operate the Fritzbox directly from a
cable modem (??). So I am a bit confused here.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

I don't know about Paul123, however, I cannot tell whether it could go
between the cable modem & a switch, or if it needs connecting to an
existing router, or if it indeed has a build in ADSL modem, which I
hope it doesn't.

I'm rather hoping it's similar in connectivity to an SPAxx02 - used
either as a router or plugged into an existing router and the AVM site
is wrong! I'm not keen on buying it before discovering answers to these
questions, though.

Old August 27th 06, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Stu wrote:
|| paul123 wrote:
http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/prod...ducts_id=7 83
|| How do these ATA's work when you have an ADSL connection that uses
|| PPP over ATM which is the only type of connection I've seen in the
|| UK. My brother has to "dial-up" before the ADSL connection is active.

Not very well, if he's using a usb modem.

An ATA should be connected to a router. A router will provide a permanent
internet session, well at least it can be set to reconnect as soon as it
losses connection.

Alternatively, if he gets an ADSL router with a built in ATA, such as the
other Fritz!boxes, he would only need one device.