Best Broadband provider?

Old August 27th 06, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Best Broadband provider?

I know this subject has probably been done to death many times before, but
with the goalposts changing almost daily, can anyone recommend a good
uncapped service?
Cost of service is not the most important factor (although still fairly
important!), however reliability of service is along with technical support,
etc. I don't want to get involved with any of these herberts who have crappy
accounting/admin systems - several big names come to mind.
Getting a MAC number from my present provider is not a consideration as I
will be using a fresh BT line.
Any thoughts or personal experiences would be gratefully welcomed.
Thanks in advance

Old September 15th 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnA

Partac wrote:
I know this subject has probably been done to death many times before, but
with the goalposts changing almost daily, can anyone recommend a good
uncapped service?

snip
Whatever you do, do not go with Tiscali, their service is intermittent,
their technical support is crap and they always deny all knowledge of
problems at their end.

JohnA

--
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows or Gates?
Old September 17th 06, 05:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Toto the Dog

Cable.

On ADSL they don't want you to do this, they don't want you to do that,
they only want you to do that at certain times of the day, and between
6pm and 11pm could you please only use your 6mb unlimted broadband line
for email and web browsing please? It's about as much fun as a burning
orphanage.

Old September 17th 06, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NoNeedToKnow

On 16 Sep 2006 "Toto the Dog" wrote:

and between 6pm and 11pm could you please only use your 6mb unlimted
broadband line for email and web browsing please?

Well, considering the quantities of data which can be transferred on ADSL,
and given the "peak hours" in residential use will be during the evenings,
it doesn't seem that daft that ISPs have determined the heaviest users
(of Usenet and P2P applications) need to accept they have an impact
on other (far, far) less heavy users.

Or was your comment only about Tiscali? (It would seem to apply to a
larger number of ISPs and with, IMO, generally good reason - if someone
is downloading 50 to 250 GB a month, they should be limited from affecting
the 75+% that download less than 5 GB a month.)

Old September 18th 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Toto the Dog

NoNeedToKnow wrote:

On 16 Sep 2006 "Toto the Dog" wrote:

and between 6pm and 11pm could you please only use your 6mb unlimted
broadband line for email and web browsing please?

Well, considering the quantities of data which can be transferred on ADSL,
and given the "peak hours" in residential use will be during the evenings,
it doesn't seem that daft that ISPs have determined the heaviest users
(of Usenet and P2P applications) need to accept they have an impact
on other (far, far) less heavy users.

Or was your comment only about Tiscali? (It would seem to apply to a
larger number of ISPs and with, IMO, generally good reason - if someone
is downloading 50 to 250 GB a month, they should be limited from affecting
the 75+% that download less than 5 GB a month.)

High bandwidth users use a lot a bandwidth, low bandwidth users use
little bandwidth. I don't see a problem.

Old September 18th 06, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ade

Partac wrote:

I know this subject has probably been done to death many times before, but
with the goalposts changing almost daily, can anyone recommend a good
uncapped service?
Cost of service is not the most important factor (although still fairly
important!), however reliability of service is along with technical support,
etc. I don't want to get involved with any of these herberts who have crappy
accounting/admin systems - several big names come to mind.
Getting a MAC number from my present provider is not a consideration as I
will be using a fresh BT line.
Any thoughts or personal experiences would be gratefully welcomed.
Thanks in advance

Having suffered Virgin, Bulldog and Plusnet, I'm considering BT
Business Broadband. Can anyone comment on firsthand experience of this
service?

Old September 18th 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tx2

"Tranny" wrote in message
Ade wrote:
Partac wrote:
Having suffered Virgin, Bulldog and Plusnet, I'm considering BT
Business Broadband. Can anyone comment on firsthand experience of this
service?

Hell no, worse than AOHell - don't do it.

You've used AOL and BT for /business/ broadband access?