Broadband ISPs "scandalous" - Sunday Times

Old August 27th 06, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk

Default Broadband ISPs "scandalous" - Sunday Times

DIV"Stan The Man" > wrote in message
.../DIV
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...0140_1,00.html

Stan

Nothing in the story that most people on this group didn't know about :-)

You just need to look at the speeds you get in the USA for a fraction of the
cost.

I do however believe the run of the rogue ISP will soon be ended.

Clive

Old August 27th 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk

"Clive" wrote in message
o.uk...

DIV"Stan The Man" > wrote in message
.../DIV
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...0140_1,00.html

Stan

Nothing in the story that most people on this group didn't know about :-)

You just need to look at the speeds you get in the USA for a fraction of
the cost.

I do however believe the run of the rogue ISP will soon be ended.

Not while they are giving it away free while you are tied to their bandit
TV.

Clive

Old August 27th 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk

Stan The Man wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...0140_1,00.html

A good article, well written and echoing many of the comments that
have been made on this newsgroup.

A pity it didn't address the often severe difficulty of migrating
between broadband ISPs.

Old August 27th 06, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.net.providers

(in aipu and ukt) Simon, aka Stan The Man wrote:

Broadband ISPs "scandalous" - Sunday Times

I've other things to do than read it again to count how many ISPs, but
given the inclusion of comments from the pathetic Which? comparison,
and the naming of so many big and small ISPs, I'm going to spend some
time re-reading it later, to see if it has anything of worth in the article
that might *help* readers, rather than just confuse them!

[NG list altered]
Old August 27th 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk

In article ,
Stan The Man writes:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...0140_1,00.html

I think there are two main issues -- the blatent misleading
advertising throughout the industry, and people themselves
going for the cheapest providers and then being surprised
they are crap. I have never used the cheapest providers, and
I've never had any complaints about my providers (which are
not Demon, contrary to From: header), and have always been
able to achieve download throughput at my line speed (2M)
at any time of day or night, but I don't run high traffic
P2P applications.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old August 27th 06, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk

Old August 27th 06, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk

Tony Polson wrote:
Stan The Man wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...0140_1,00.html

A good article, well written and echoing many of the comments that
have been made on this newsgroup.

Not a good article at all. Typically shallow research and mainly quotes that
suited the writer. Just the sort of poor quality reporting that one has come
to expect from the Sunday Times.

A pity it didn't address the often severe difficulty of migrating
between broadband ISPs.

Exactly the point I am making in that the reported has not done the job
properly.

Peter Crosland

Old August 27th 06, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
Stan The Man wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...0140_1,00.html

A good article, well written and echoing many of the comments that
have been made on this newsgroup.

Really ?
And there was me thinking it was badly written by a someone who really
doesnt understand how the industry / technology works.

Still .. had me laughing.

Old August 27th 06, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...0140_1,00.html

Stan

I see there is no mention of cable in that article.
Telewest certainly attain the speed I am paying for ATM.

There are a few disgruntled 10M users but I suspect its the remote end as
few web sites can handle a few 10M users.
If only Telewest could improve the retention on the news servers more people
would be happy with less news traffic going across to the states interfering
with the rest of us.

Old August 27th 06, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk

Tony Polson wrote:
Stan The Man wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...0140_1,00.html

A good article, well written and echoing many of the comments that
have been made on this newsgroup.

A pity it didn't address the often severe difficulty of migrating
between broadband ISPs.

I have done a couple of migrations and they were fine.

A pity it didn't remind us that Sky's own Broadband offers up to 16Mbps
speed and an unlimited use option (subject to fair use of course). Two
of the things the article claimed misled the poor customer.

A third problem with Sky's site is that there is no definition of the
fair use policy or how it might operate.

And the connection between The Times and Sky is?