Domain name with one large number (not IP address)

Old August 28th 06, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Domain name with one large number (not IP address)

Hi,

I have just received an email message which was a phishing attempt to
collect PayPal information, and I have notified PayPal.

However, the interesting thing is that the link was going to:

http://999412483/icons/small/paypal/...reInfo/paypal/

It didn't know it was possible to have a domain name without extension
(.com etc) or it is just some IP address, but presented in a different
format?

Thanks,
Sebastien

Old August 28th 06, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Seb blathered :-
Hi,

I have just received an email message which was a phishing attempt to
collect PayPal information, and I have notified PayPal.

However, the interesting thing is that the link was going to:

http://999412483/icons/small/paypal/...reInfo/paypal/

It didn't know it was possible to have a domain name without extension
(.com etc) or it is just some IP address, but presented in a different
format?

Thanks,
Sebastien

IIRC, it's the IP address as one large 32-bit number (rather than 4
8-bit numbers). Could be wrong, though.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/ has a form that can convert between the two
formats.

xF,

....Nick
Old August 28th 06, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 28 Aug 2006 02:00:17 -0700, "Seb" wrote:

|Hi,
|
|I have just received an email message which was a phishing attempt to
|collect PayPal information, and I have notified PayPal.
|
|However, the interesting thing is that the link was going to:
|
|http://999412483/icons/small/paypal/...reInfo/paypal/
|
|It didn't know it was possible to have a domain name without extension
|(.com etc) or it is just some IP address, but presented in a different
|format?

Despite the new V4 Junk system I still have a filter which *deletes*
anything apparently from any bank or financial institution.
Old August 28th 06, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I have just received an email message which was a phishing attempt to
collect PayPal information, and I have notified PayPal.

I found buying a domain and "personalising" the email address you give
to any third party i.e. [email protected] [email protected] also helps narrow things down -
you know if you get an email to its
automatically a scam.
Old August 28th 06, 03:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Nicholas Thomas" wrote in
message ...
Seb blathered :-
Hi,

I have just received an email message which was a phishing attempt to
collect PayPal information, and I have notified PayPal.

However, the interesting thing is that the link was going to:

http://999412483/icons/small/paypal/...reInfo/paypal/

It didn't know it was possible to have a domain name without extension
(.com etc) or it is just some IP address, but presented in a different
format?

Thanks,
Sebastien

IIRC, it's the IP address as one large 32-bit number (rather than 4
8-bit numbers). Could be wrong, though.

Its the IP address in decimal.
Except that address (59.145.211.3) is reserved so it shouldn't be usable.

Old August 28th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, "[email protected]"
wrote:-

snip

Its the IP address in decimal.
Except that address (59.145.211.3) is reserved so it shouldn't be usable.

You need to update your list of unassigned space. The entire of
59.0.0.0/8 is allocated to APNIC and, checking their whois database
shows it's allocated to:

Request: 59.145.211.3
connected to whois.arin.net [199.43.0.144:43] ...
connected to whois.apnic.net [202.12.29.13:43] ...
% [whois.apnic.net node-2]
% Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum: 59.145.211.0 - 59.145.211.15
netname: DCMTechnologies1554-ggn
descr: DCM Technologies
descr: 125,
descr: Udyog Vihar Phase-I
descr: Gurgoan
descr: Haryana
descr: India
descr: Contact Person:VK Bhatia
descr:
descr: Phone:911245122820
country: IN
admin-c: NA40-AP
tech-c: NA40-AP
mnt-by: MAINT-IN-BBIL
status: ASSIGNED NON-PORTABLE
changed: 20041222
source: APNIC

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 50 Mnodes/s:
http://www.distributed.net/
Old August 29th 06, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
I have just received an email message which was a phishing attempt to
collect PayPal information, and I have notified PayPal.

I found buying a domain and "personalising" the email address you give
to any third party i.e. [email protected] [email protected] also helps narrow things down -
you know if you get an email to its
automatically a scam.

I did this to start with, but then got hit with someone sending mail to a
load of random [email protected] I changed it so as long as a particular word
was in the mail address before the @, the mail would get though to me, for
example...

Say the word was sparks

[email protected] would work

[email protected] would work
[email protected] world work
[email protected] would be rejected

This seems to work really well!

Old August 29th 06, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I did this to start with, but then got hit with someone sending mail to a
load of random [email protected] I changed it so as long as a particular word
was in the mail address before the @, the mail would get though to me, for
example...

I haven't had any problems as yet (been doing it for at least 2 years
now) - although I do have a lot of heavy duty filtering on Mailwasher
for regular mail.